[TC][WIP] FTL:Incursion

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MOD-WIP] FTL:Incursion

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:16 am

I can include the music as alternate soundtracks now, technically speaking. The Archon just seems like the first viable "stand-alone" mod, IE another custom ship to play with. Next to follow would be the GUI + Music once I complete it. After that comes the hard part, plotting out events and basically rewriting the game from the ground up... :shock:

:? ...what the hell was I thinking, starting this madness.
Dugatee

Re: [MOD-WIP] New cruiser "Archon"

Postby Dugatee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Uhmm, not to burst your bubble or anything but don't ships need engines?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:41 pm

Dugatee wrote:Uhmm, not to burst your bubble or anything but don't ships need engines?

Yes, if they plan on evading or FTL'ing anywhere. Page 4 screenshot, top-left room behind the pilot's console with the second Zoltan in it. Engine room.
Dugatee

Postby Dugatee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 am

Kieve wrote:
Dugatee wrote:Uhmm, not to burst your bubble or anything but don't ships need engines?

Yes, if they plan on evading or FTL'ing anywhere. Page 4 screenshot, top-left room behind the pilot's console with the second Zoltan in it. Engine room.

1. That is page 5

2. I meant on the actual texture
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:17 am

The back of that sucker looks pretty engine-like to me - with Arthur C. Clarke's sufficiently advanced technology, an engine can look as magical as you'd want it to.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 pm

The orange horizontal bars (and indeed the entire back-half of the wing pylons) are engines / thruster output. All Incursor ships will be designed that way. The rest of the orange Tron-like light strips are just part of the Incursor aesthetic.

Updated the OP a bit with all pertinent screenshots & graphics, as well as a new music track.
Shameful Legacy (Youtube)
This one's composed with Rebel-controlled space in mind (which is more or less the equivalent of the Civilian Sectors in stock FTL - 'friendly / neutral' territory).
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 am

Battle version of the previous track has been posted.
Grim Horizon (Youtube)

I struggled hard with this one, and I'm still not entirely happy with it. Not sure how well it meshes up with the much slower-paced exploration tune. The pianos are intentionally a little sour in spots - a reminder that while the Rebels are the protagonists of this mod, they're still not heroes.

The violins and subtle choir at the end are possibly some of my best work however - at least from the technical side of things.
Dugatee

Postby Dugatee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 am

I was the first person to view your new video (the music one) I must say it's my favourite so far!
I don't know what it is, maybe it's that it feels more like battle music than the other ones.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Dugatee wrote:I was the first person to view your new video (the music one) I must say it's my favourite so far!
I don't know what it is, maybe it's that it feels more like battle music than the other ones.

Glad you liked it! First or fiftieth, I'm just happy knowing folks enjoy my creations.

And speaking of! Isn't it about time I finally released that Incursor Archon yet? Well I have good news there.
With the holiday madness over and free time more frequent, I can finally devote the hours I need to getting the ship finished up. Today's work is the Incursor "Ripper" beam, colloquially referred to as the "can opener." Combining the nastiest features of the Hull Beam with severe breaching capability, it quickly garnered a fearsome reputation among the auto-drone maintenance crews.

Current theoretical stats:
  • Type: Beam
  • Power Req: 2
  • Damage: 1 (x2 systemless)
  • +Breach Chance 80%
  • Charge Time: 16s
  • Length: 70
    For reference, the Glaive is 80

Honestly I'd rather it cost more power, but the Archon will only start with Wep lvl 3, the compliment being a one-power missile system (still considering thoughts on a "shield-buster" missile). Sorry, no pics just yet as I'm still working on the sprite.

EDIT:
Progress!
The associated blueprints / animations are also coded, and I've made some hue adjustments to the shield that I think will counteract the ugly puke-color the Zoltan shield is initially giving it. Initial testing commences soon - with any luck I may just get the Archon out and playable before the new year!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Failure!

...In testing last night, it would seem that beams can't generate hull breaches. Which means I have to think of some other 'special purpose' for the Archon's primary weapon, to set it apart from the already diverse array of Hull, Fire, Anti-Bio, and the terrible Glaive. Ion is out because Ion Beams are just broken (/OP).
Maybe a system-disabling beam? Does no hull damage but can knock out systems and start fires like nobody's business... I really wanted to do a fire-beam variant anyway.

Open to suggestions here.