A way to play with more than 9 ships

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: A way to play with more than 9 ships

Postby Kieve » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Vhati wrote:I was under the impression that this was one of the hardcoded limits modders have grudgingly had to live with. I was already writing the editor for fun and happened to stumble across stealing trick, so I thought it worth mentioning that there will soon be a way to circumvent that particular limit.

The reason I'm enthusiastic about said discovery. Pulling ships out of a Savegame manager isn't the most thrilling prospect, but I find it more appealing than needing to decide "Which of these 18 ships am I going to overwrite now?", particularly if you give consideration to the ones that may/may not be unlocked by a given player. Aside from the promise of the Overdrive project, this seems like the best non-replacer solution currently available.
Joefesok

Postby Joefesok » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:09 am

I can see this being useful to mod makers in the future. For example, a choose-your-weapon and duel kind of dealie.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 am

Okay... wrote some more code today.
v12 will be able to arbitrarily replace the player ship, not just steal what's nearby.
curlsworth

Postby curlsworth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Sir, I salute you. I've been eagarly awaiting Overdrive and this is the next best thing! I am sure I'll download this.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this couldn't be done in game (with your current implementation), right?
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this couldn't be done in game (with your current implementation), right?
The code I just added to the editor will let someone play with ships beyond the nine in the hangar, as described in this thread.

That code will be in version 12 of the tool, whenever ComaToes packages up the next release.

At the moment (see link in the first post), v11 is available, which can only print a human-readable dump of a saved game's content, and edit some basic things.
curlsworth

Postby curlsworth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 am

Sooooo I was feeling really impatient and put your changes into the build myself and.. it's amazing. Thank you for figuring this out. This opens up at least a few more possibilities for modding.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this couldn't be done in game (with your current implementation), right?
Oh, sorry. I didn't understand your question at first.

This tool will not let you swap ships while the game is running.
You would need to save+quit, edit continue.sav, and start FTL again.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 am

Since ComaToes has been inactive for a while, Expired Mayo packaged up an unofficial snapshot of v12 for now.

Edit: I've taken over development. The editor lives on in a new thread.