Modding my game, help

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
HamTheBacon

Modding my game, help

Postby HamTheBacon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I was wondering how i would go about changing the starting weapons of my ships, i dont want to change anything else, just what my ships start with weapon wise, how can i do this?
nKe

Re: Modding my game, help

Postby nKe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh you're the guy from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4159&p=21108#p21108
I lol'd.
HamTheBacon

Postby HamTheBacon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:38 am

Yea and its still valid, shouldnt take that much to beat the game, not everyone plays games for 12 hours a day and to play a game shouldnt have to be so damn difficult.

So my question remains, how do you change the weapons ships start with?
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:43 am

Moved from Working Mods to Mod Development.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
HamTheBacon

Postby HamTheBacon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:09 pm

So does anyone actually know? because i would really like to.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

* Download FTLdat
* Use FTLdat to unpack data.dat
* Edit blueprints.xml
* Scroll down to PLAYER_SHIP_HARD
* Edit the lines starting "<weapon" to replace "MISSILES_2_PLAYER" and "LASER_BURST_3" with other weapon codes. You can see a list of all the weapon codes here: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/User:Snow_Cat
* Use FTLdat to re-pack data.dat
* Launch FTL and check that the Kestrel has different weapons

There are other ways to do it, for example hex editing data.dat without unpacking it, or creating a simple GMM mod based on Beginning Scrap Advantage.ftl to change the <shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" ...>.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
HamTheBacon

Postby HamTheBacon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Yea id like to make it as a GMM mod, because what im planning is a mod im going to release to the public, really all i would need to know is how to make a GMM mod and how to make a custom type weapon, shouldnt be to hard if there was a tutorial or somethin
superkonata

Postby superkonata » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 pm

HamTheBacon wrote:Yea and its still valid, shouldnt take that much to beat the game, not everyone plays games for 12 hours a day and to play a game shouldnt have to be so damn difficult.

So my question remains, how do you change the weapons ships start with?

The game really isn't THAT difficult. Maybe they should have added a new difficulty called "n00b".