Miniship images

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ScottishPingu

Miniship images

Postby ScottishPingu » Fri May 01, 2020 2:32 pm

I have a question about generating the miniship images. When I scale my image in GIMP, compared to the existing ships it looks quite blurry, I assume this is an artefact of the scaling process. Is there a way to avoid this or is it best to redraw the ship?

If the answer is to redraw I think I'm happy with blurry ships.

Cheers
Newish to modding, can't draw but can re-colour.

Mods so far:
Ursa Prototype
Ursa Overflow
Dual Boarders
Tactical Espionage
Jumbocarrot0

Re: Miniship images

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Turning the resizing interpolation to none would stop the blurriness, but it has its own problems regarding black outlines.
For me, I use that and just redraw the outlines.
For the scale tool, you can change this on the bottom left once you select the scale tool.
KingdomKrafters

Postby KingdomKrafters » Fri May 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Personally I redraw all of my miniships. It really doesn't take that long. I scale the ship does to roughly the same size as the vanilla miniships then crew a new layer on top and draw the outline, fill it in solid color, then apply shading. Takes around 30-45 minutes and results in a really nice looking sprite. No reason to cut corners if you want a quality mod. (If you're that desperate you can always ask someone else who has the time to make them for you.)

Example of one of the miniships I've drawn:
Original Ship (Drawn by Laythe):
Miniship outline:
Solid color:
Final result with shading:

Another tip when drawing the outline, if your ship is symmetrical along the x-axis you can just draw the top half and mirror it to save a lot of time.
ScottishPingu

Postby ScottishPingu » Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 am

Thanks for the advice!

I think I'll leave them as they are for now and come back to them in time. 30-45min is a significant part of my free time and I'd rather use that on more prominent elements. I'm also very new to GIMP and image manipulation so it'd probably take me longer just now but coming back later I might be able to do it more easily.
Newish to modding, can't draw but can re-colour.

Mods so far:
Ursa Prototype
Ursa Overflow
Dual Boarders
Tactical Espionage