Rebel Flagship Design

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: Rebel Flagship Design

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Gidoza wrote: What's going on? The only thing that comes to mind is that Ion Intruders might work like Vanilla Augmentations - where they can never be renamed for any reason or they don't work properly. What do you think?
Yep, they won't work if renamed. Only their vanilla ID makes them functional.
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Gidoza wrote: What's going on? The only thing that comes to mind is that Ion Intruders might work like Vanilla Augmentations - where they can never be renamed for any reason or they don't work properly. What do you think?
Yep, they won't work if renamed. Only their vanilla ID makes them functional.

OK good to know - will fix it np then.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Gidoza wrote:Anyways, regarding offsets - I tried "optimal offset" with SuperLuminal - it doesn't exactly work. While it might offset one of the Flagship lines correctly, it'll fail miserably for another one. Particularly stage 2 - and I think this is because the Flagship is ultimately non-centred in this case (1 and 3 seem generally OK). However, changing offset values directly in the file did no harm, so what I think I'll do is look up the offsets from FTL's files directly and just change them from that and hope it works.

How miserably? I think that in vanilla it's made so the rooms are centered, the flagship image isn't perfectly in the same place, just so you know.

I take it you've got the ion intruder figured out then?
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:24 am

meklozz wrote:
Gidoza wrote:Anyways, regarding offsets - I tried "optimal offset" with SuperLuminal - it doesn't exactly work. While it might offset one of the Flagship lines correctly, it'll fail miserably for another one. Particularly stage 2 - and I think this is because the Flagship is ultimately non-centred in this case (1 and 3 seem generally OK). However, changing offset values directly in the file did no harm, so what I think I'll do is look up the offsets from FTL's files directly and just change them from that and hope it works.

How miserably? I think that in vanilla it's made so the rooms are centered, the flagship image isn't perfectly in the same place, just so you know.

I take it you've got the ion intruder figured out then?

The issue is that I think SuperLuminal de-centres the images. I tried to keep the centreing of the Vanilla Flagships, but you yourself reported a non-centredness on one of your previous tests on a Flagship I made, and that was from a SuperLuminal default setting. The miserable offset from calculating optimal made it clearly go off to one side with the edge of the Flagship almost off the screen.

And yes, the Ion Intruder part should be figured out.

Anyways, I'll test this tomorrow myself - but here's a current example of a Flagship that has the new stream of offsets that I hope will work, but actually have no idea. If you want to try it out in the mean time, here you go.

After I've done a couple tests on my own and if everything looks clean from your side as well, I'll probably be ready to go into a full Beta tests and just ask forum people to pick a Flagship variant, fight it to make sure there's no crashes and stuff, make a comment on balance, and then I can do final polishing and pack it all together. All 26 variants are now designed.

http://www.filedropper.com/flagp
http://www.filedropper.com/customflagships

Cheers!
-Gidoza
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Looks good.

With the hull, maybe something like this?

I'm not sure I like the start, but if you put it lower, it doesn't fit when it starts over. Maybe lower the whole thing by a pixel, or make more steps? If you have any ideas that'd be nice, if you want it like this I'll just upload the file.
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 pm

meklozz wrote:Looks good.

With the hull, maybe something like this?

I'm not sure I like the start, but if you put it lower, it doesn't fit when it starts over. Maybe lower the whole thing by a pixel, or make more steps? If you have any ideas that'd be nice, if you want it like this I'll just upload the file.

Beautiful! I like it! We can use it for sure. :)

Now a question about Events...I want to use the Event from CE that shuts down Oxygen. The thing is that I only want it to fire in certain cases, AND I do not want this to conflict with CE fundamentally. That is to say - is there a way to have a separate event in the Flagships mod that will switch Oxygen on or off as I need it to be (either for Stage 2 or Stage 3) while still respecting the event list in CE (for ASB, or teleporter disruptor, or whatever)? And at the same time - just having no event list at all if one is playing, say, Vanilla. This is my question. Basically I want to make this function normative without conflict, if possible; some Flagships just wouldn't have the function because they depend on their crew's staying aboard the ship - that's all.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 am

You can give specific flagships an event file that overwrites CEs oxygen shutdown event, yes. The event in question is BOSS_TEXT_3 in events_boss.xml. This will only work if the player places the mod after Captains Edition though, but that might be in order anyway.
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:17 am

Sleeper Service wrote:You can give specific flagships an event file that overwrites CEs oxygen shutdown event, yes. The event in question is BOSS_TEXT_3 in events_boss.xml. This will only work if the player places the mod after Captains Edition though, but that might be in order anyway.

It won't erase any of the OTHER stuff in CE (activated augmentations)? Because I see that it links to another event. Presumably it'll keep the link if I retain the linking text. However, if the player isn't playing CE and the linking text is still there - what happens? If nothing, no problem!

The second question would be whether there is any way of doing this also in the second iteration of the Flagship without causing any kind of disruption. Or...if it can't...can a totally made-up event be created for the Flagship (e.g. when it takes its first point of damage from the player) that would trigger it to work, sort of like the random comments that tend to show up in battles in CE?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Here is the hull image:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18243056/customflagship/drop%20hull.ftl

It's just one file, only slightly modified. I made it a pixel wider so there is some space at the end before it resets over when it goes above 22 hull. It seems to work fine, was 241 px before and is 242 now, so I think it's 11 px per hull point lost either way.

About events, I don't think the flagship can 'surrender' or 'escape' (events triggered by low hull), since it doesn't have a <ship> tag - the thing that calls a ship in events.

But if you want to just add something to an event whether it's CE or not, you should check out the readme_modders.txt file in slipstream, in particular 'advanced xml' tags. It should look something like:
events_boss.xml.append:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="BOSS_TEXT_1">
   <mod-append:status type="limit" target="enemy" system="oxygen" amount="0"/>
</mod:findName>

Just need to make sure it's compatible with whatever else CE does (I don't think you can have two tags that limit enemy systems in the same level of an event (right next to each other), for example, and you also wouldn't want to 'limit' it just for CE to 'clear' it right after). You can go deeper into events with more findName or findLike tags, and if slipstream doesn't find such an event, it just won't do anything. Similarly, you can use it to add other conditions, mostly anything that you can think of, with other tags, without changing the base any.
If you need help with it, just say what exactly you need it to do.

It's possible you don't need any of this and can just do what Sleeper Service says and replace the whole event, but you may end up with some leftovers like CE texts even if a player isn't playing it, or even more parts of the event that would be unusable.
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Just need to make sure it's compatible with whatever else CE does (I don't think you can have two tags that limit enemy systems in the same level of an event (right next to each other), for example, and you also wouldn't want to 'limit' it just for CE to 'clear' it right after). You can go deeper into events with more findName or findLike tags, and if slipstream doesn't find such an event, it just won't do anything. Similarly, you can use it to add other conditions, mostly anything that you can think of, with other tags, without changing the base any.
If you need help with it, just say what exactly you need it to do.

It's possible you don't need any of this and can just do what Sleeper Service says and replace the whole event, but you may end up with some leftovers like CE texts even if a player isn't playing it, or even more parts of the event that would be unusable.

I'll test it out and see what happens. Or rather I'll add it and prepare the full testing version.

Nevertheless, I'm keeping things as simple as possible. I'm not interested in anything beyond Oxygen manipulation - object is to keep this mod playable with more or less anything.

So I can imagine three versions of this event trigger.

1. Triggers at 3rd Flagship and knocks out Oxygen just like in CE (except now it would work with other mods, too), but without influencing anything else about event triggers (that is, Augmentations).

2. UN-Triggers at 3rd Flagship and restores Oxygen to full power. This is specifically for if the player is playing CE so the Oxygen isn't knocked out on a Flagship version that is designed to keep its Oxygen. (so I imagine that CE would turn it off, and then this trigger would turn it on again)

3. Triggers at 2nd Flagship, without influencing other stuff.

That's it, that's as complicated as I want to go. :) Suffice it to say, part of the design of the whole project is that some Flagships are easy to board, while others are resistant to boarding - while having limitations in other respects.

In more important news: THANK YOU for the graphic! I'm excited to test it out. Most of the Flagships don't go above 25 hull, but one is a monster with 40 and I'm curious how it looks.