Rebel Flagship Design

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: Rebel Flagship Design

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:27 pm

The generator part of the Randomzier really just randomly mixes a large range of hand-made assets. It individually randomizes the following: each weapon (with certain limitations), the drone list, each augment slot, extra systems for each phase and the overall layout.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:23 am

meklozz wrote:Btw, were the forum and the site down for a ~day for everyone?

Yeah I couldn't access it yesterday until like early morning today. No idea why it happened though :?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm not really complaining about its difficulty, I'd have to play a real game if not several for that. Was mostly just wondering if it was intended.

The only thing that I think you should know is that adding that single room made the game play smoothly to the end without even starting a new game. I have not encountered a crash when the flagship jumped away, though I'm still planning to do a whole game and check with your completely unaltered version, maybe tomorrow.

The room amount could just be related to a save file created before the mod, in which case I'd expect a smooth game with no crashes.

Recreating the loadout and all that was just my trying to figure things out, don't worry about it. I think you should try anything Sleeper Service suggested yourself, as well as try adding a room like I did just to see if it helps with anything.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Ok, so I played through flagM today. Sorry for the delay. Noticed a couple of things, not sure if you want screenshots here, so just gonna mentioned them for now:

- I saw the offset problem in phase 1, I suspect it's because of the first room from the left being in a different place and the whole thing moving based on that. Have you tried calculating offset automatically in superluminal? I'll look at it in superluminal, but it's probably best to just see what the vanilla flagship does and parrot it.

- the flagship has so much hull points the graphic ends and starts over, I'm not sure if it can be fixed by making a new graphic (\img\combatUI\box_hostiles_hull2.png), or if it's just too much hull

- there are no weapon graphics on the gibs when it blows up

- enemy missiles throughout the game have the CE graphic, not really a big problem, but I'm not sure why as the flagship shouldn't use the normal weapon graphics (maybe for drones?)

Other than those, everything went ok. Hard to comment on the difficulty, as my ship was very strong, and I had no problem with it. It was very light on crew attacks, I guess that's the design but vanilla flagship is generally designed to test you in ll the ways there are I think. Seemed ok, though, it still got some damage in on my decked out zoltan B. It didn't feel extremely different from a normal flagship fight, I wasn't boarding, and the weapons were generally similar.
I saved the save if you want it for some reason.

@edit
Yeah you can see the leftmost room in superluminal isn't as far to the left as it can. 'Edit' > 'Calculate Optimal Offset' seems to fix things. It does something for the other phases, too, you might want to let it. Yeah, vanilla flagships are all centered, your phase 2 is also a bit too much to the right. In phase 3 superluminal shows an odd graphic, I'm not sure what that's about, the image seemed ok I think.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Gibs need to include the weapons in their image as far as I can tell, they won't show up any other way. It's no big deal, probably not worth the work.

About the missiles, I mean normal leto and artemises on normal ships have changed graphics, I believe it's the missiles_1_strip3.png file. Also no big deal, just CE stuff going over. Could be fixed with changing the blueprints you use a little (some missile drones for some of the flagships, I'm guessing), but probably not worth it, either.

About hull points, unfortunately it seems like the graphics has to be 22 hull long and it changes what is shown based on the percentage of it, e.g. if you made it 33 bars long, it would just show all of them for a ship with 22 hull and drain a bar and a half per damage. In short, the UI can't be fixed that simply. I guess you can either leave the UI issue be, or maybe try to at least make it look a little better, maybe just making the heights a little closer so it's not as jarring.
I think just editing it not to have the.. slowly raising edge at the first bar would be better. I don't know graphics, but now you have something like:

Code: Select all

___
  __/    |  _
/        |/

And a better effect might be something like:

__
 __|  |__
|
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:17 am

Gidoza wrote:Gibs - Looks like I didn't miss anything; the RandomFlagships files just don't appear to have those as part of the Gibs deal (As far as I can tell?). If there's a way to include them easily, then I don't know it at the moment; otherwise, this would be someone else's volunteer project.

This has nothing to do with the gib coding. This is part of the weapon mount coding.

In the boss_1.xml file for Phase 1 of the Flagship

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="150" y="50" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="264" y="50" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="89" y="65" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="324" y="65" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="176" y="52" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="357" y="52" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="444" y="98" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="89" y="98" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="no"/>
</weaponMounts>

I have no idea what you do in Superluminal for this, but I would assume there is some weapon mount properties where this gib value would be assigned.

edit: Seems I lack knowledge in this, as pointed out by meklozz below. Sorry for wasting time.
Last edited by RAD-82 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 am

RAD-82 wrote:
Gidoza wrote:Gibs - Looks like I didn't miss anything; the RandomFlagships files just don't appear to have those as part of the Gibs deal (As far as I can tell?). If there's a way to include them easily, then I don't know it at the moment; otherwise, this would be someone else's volunteer project.

This has nothing to do with the gib coding. This is part of the weapon mount coding.

In the boss_1.xml file for Phase 1 of the Flagship

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="150" y="50" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="264" y="50" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="89" y="65" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="324" y="65" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="176" y="52" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="357" y="52" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="444" y="98" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="1" slide="no"/>
   <mount x="89" y="98" rotate="false" mirror="false" gib="2" slide="no"/>
</weaponMounts>

I have no idea what you do in Superluminal for this, but I would assume there is some weapon mount properties where this gib value would be assigned.

That's all there, I don't think it works for artillery weapons. The vanilla flagship has the weapon graphics as part of the actual gib image.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Gidoza wrote: What's going on? The only thing that comes to mind is that Ion Intruders might work like Vanilla Augmentations - where they can never be renamed for any reason or they don't work properly. What do you think?
Yep, they won't work if renamed. Only their vanilla ID makes them functional.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Gidoza wrote:Anyways, regarding offsets - I tried "optimal offset" with SuperLuminal - it doesn't exactly work. While it might offset one of the Flagship lines correctly, it'll fail miserably for another one. Particularly stage 2 - and I think this is because the Flagship is ultimately non-centred in this case (1 and 3 seem generally OK). However, changing offset values directly in the file did no harm, so what I think I'll do is look up the offsets from FTL's files directly and just change them from that and hope it works.

How miserably? I think that in vanilla it's made so the rooms are centered, the flagship image isn't perfectly in the same place, just so you know.

I take it you've got the ion intruder figured out then?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Looks good.

With the hull, maybe something like this?

I'm not sure I like the start, but if you put it lower, it doesn't fit when it starts over. Maybe lower the whole thing by a pixel, or make more steps? If you have any ideas that'd be nice, if you want it like this I'll just upload the file.