[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
viperwasp

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby viperwasp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 am

Can anyone please help me? I have windows 7, and I own FTL on Steam. I cannot get this editor to work at all!

I don't understand the instructions... on how to install it. I downloaded the early test version. I clicked options and I downloaded the flt.dat. However from this point on I cannot figure out anything. I tried so many things. When I click extract it brings up a window looking for the correct file to extract. However even if I navigate to the flt.dat file it does not appear as a correct file type to extract. On top of that if I click and extract flt.dat manually it creates a folder in C program files etc. However if I navigate to that folder via the editor it does nothing as well.

Am I missing something? Can anyone please tell me step by step what I am exposed to do? Do I need to browse to were the game is installed in my stream folder. Because I just tried that as well. Nothing works in the least.
MrHPlus

Postby MrHPlus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 pm

viperwasp wrote:Can anyone please help me? I have windows 7, and I own FTL on Steam. I cannot get this editor to work at all!

I don't understand the instructions... on how to install it. I downloaded the early test version. I clicked options and I downloaded the flt.dat. However from this point on I cannot figure out anything. I tried so many things. When I click extract it brings up a window looking for the correct file to extract. However even if I navigate to the flt.dat file it does not appear as a correct file type to extract. On top of that if I click and extract flt.dat manually it creates a folder in C program files etc. However if I navigate to that folder via the editor it does nothing as well.

Am I missing something? Can anyone please tell me step by step what I am exposed to do? Do I need to browse to were the game is installed in my stream folder. Because I just tried that as well. Nothing works in the least.

I'm having this exact same problem. On top of that, I actually can't close FTLedit. It just keeps popping back up. Am I missing something that ftl.dat was supposed to do?
Alsojames

Postby Alsojames » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Looks pretty cool (just downloaded it) but IT KEEPS REOPENING ITSELF WHEN I CLOSE IT. How do I fix this?
Alsojames

Postby Alsojames » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I don't have ftl.dat and my anti-virus program won't let me download it.

Can you give me a step-by-step explanation of how to extract the files?
DiEvAl

Postby DiEvAl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Alsojames wrote:I don't have ftl.dat and my anti-virus program won't let me download it.

Can you give me a step-by-step explanation of how to extract the files?

Get a better antivirus program?
Reiker

Postby Reiker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 am

You may want much better instructions for using this, because at the moment I feel it's pretty impossible to get it working.

All the instructions you provide are to click Options, click Download ftldat and then click Extract files. I guess that's magically supposed to do everything to get this working. It doesn't.

I installed ftldat (what is this?) but when I click Extract files a browse dialog box pops up looking for data.dat and resource.dat. This is the same thing it did before I downloaded ftldat. I tried running ftldat but that didn't seem to do anything. There's no data.dat or resource.dat in the ftldat folder. Wtf am I supposed to be doing here? I'm not a mind reader, dude. Where are these files? What is ftldat and what do I need it for? Please don't half-ass the instructions.

Error when I click the create a ship button:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component of your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Could not find a part of the path 'x\Desktop\FTL Ship Edit\data\data\blueprints.xml'.

Edit: And you can't even close the program without using task manager to end the process. Great software, dood.
DiEvAl

Postby DiEvAl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 am

data.dat and resources.dat are in your FTL folder. For me it's C:\program files\FTL\resources\data.dat
Zebo12345

Postby Zebo12345 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:30 am

So I'm no genius. I don't understand. I edit a ship but I don't know how to get it in my game. I've tried extracting to a .ftl file and putting that in GMM but I must have done something wrong. It doesn't show up for me still. Can you put more detailed instructions or an instructional video? :?
Oversoul96

Postby Oversoul96 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 am

The shield size always comes out smaller than it should be on my custom ships. Entire rooms are exposed, not covered by the shield, is there any way to fix this?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:51 am

Oversoul96 wrote:The shield size always comes out smaller than it should be on my custom ships. Entire rooms are exposed, not covered by the shield, is there any way to fix this?

Just take one of the existing shields, increase it's size so that it covers your whole ship, then name it "yourshipsname_shields1". That should do it.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee