[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Zebo12345

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby Zebo12345 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:30 am

So I'm no genius. I don't understand. I edit a ship but I don't know how to get it in my game. I've tried extracting to a .ftl file and putting that in GMM but I must have done something wrong. It doesn't show up for me still. Can you put more detailed instructions or an instructional video? :?
Oversoul96

Postby Oversoul96 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 am

The shield size always comes out smaller than it should be on my custom ships. Entire rooms are exposed, not covered by the shield, is there any way to fix this?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:51 am

Oversoul96 wrote:The shield size always comes out smaller than it should be on my custom ships. Entire rooms are exposed, not covered by the shield, is there any way to fix this?

Just take one of the existing shields, increase it's size so that it covers your whole ship, then name it "yourshipsname_shields1". That should do it.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Zebo12345

Postby Zebo12345 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 am

MrHPlus wrote:
viperwasp wrote:Can anyone please help me? I have windows 7, and I own FTL on Steam. I cannot get this editor to work at all!

I don't understand the instructions... on how to install it. I downloaded the early test version. I clicked options and I downloaded the flt.dat. However from this point on I cannot figure out anything. I tried so many things. When I click extract it brings up a window looking for the correct file to extract. However even if I navigate to the flt.dat file it does not appear as a correct file type to extract. On top of that if I click and extract flt.dat manually it creates a folder in C program files etc. However if I navigate to that folder via the editor it does nothing as well.

Am I missing something? Can anyone please tell me step by step what I am exposed to do? Do I need to browse to were the game is installed in my stream folder. Because I just tried that as well. Nothing works in the least.

I'm having this exact same problem. On top of that, I actually can't close FTLedit. It just keeps popping back up. Am I missing something that ftl.dat was supposed to do?

Ftl.dat didn't link to the right spot for me. I had to go and find the correct folders and link that to FTLeidt. That might be the problem you're having. (But I'm still having issues saving, so it's not like I am 100% right, I may be wrong.)
Gul4sch

Postby Gul4sch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 am

When I export an .ftl and activate it with the mod manager my ship has no shield texture. there is only a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark!? please help! :cry:

And for the guys who got probems with the ftldat here is an optional programm to extract the files: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2788 :)

Oh btw How can I flip doors?
Making Overpowered Ships and Weapons B)
Alsojames

Postby Alsojames » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 am

Awesome! Now where do you save the files so we can actually play with the custom ships?

EDIT: Whenever I click Export to FTL, I get an error saying that C:\\Programs\ftl\insert ship name is unavailable.

How do I fix this? It's really irritating!!!!
Zebo12345

Postby Zebo12345 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 am

Gul4sch wrote:When I export an .ftl and activate it with the mod manager my ship has no shield texture. there is only a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark!? please help! :cry:

And for the guys who got probems with the ftldat here is an optional programm to extract the files: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2788 :)

Oh btw How can I flip doors?

Flip doors with space bar.
And thanks for the help with ftldat.
Zebo12345

Postby Zebo12345 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 am

I'm still having some issues. I can't seem to change ftl.dat to data.dat, and the programs I try to use look for data.dat. I heard somewhere that ftl.dat is the same thing as data.dat except renamed so this kind of feels like something I'm missing. Can someone answer that?

*Edit*
Okay, found out I was wrong about the ftl.dat being data.dat thing, but I still don't know what to do.
Last edited by Zebo12345 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Gul4sch wrote:When I export an .ftl and activate it with the mod manager my ship has no shield texture. there is only a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark!? please help! :cry:

Yeah, shields are one of the things that don't work too well with this editor.
You need to unzip the .ftl file, and edit the blueprints.xml.append to add a <shieldImage>...</shieldImage> at the end of your ship definition (within the <shieldBlueprint>). Whatever you put inside the tags (eg <shieldImage>MYSHIP</shieldImage>) needs to correspond to an image in the img/ship directory named MYSHIP_shields1.png . There are already blue ellipses there for each of the builtin ships, so if you're happy with (say) a 654x436 ellipse as in rock_cruiser_shields1.png, you can say <shieldImage>rock_cruiser</shieldImage>.

Then rezip the data and resources directories, rename the zip file back to .ftl, put it in mods/, rerun GMM to install the new version of your mod, and see if it works.

(As another quirk of this editor, I do get problems with the doors and rooms going slightly lower than I where I click to place them... bizarrely, this only happens on the top 2-3 rows of the ship editor. You can work around it: drag the door or room as high as you want it (by moving the mouse pointer a bit higher than you'd want it), then move your pointer over to a neutral area on the right-hand side, and click to leave the room/door where it was. Bit of an odd quirk, but it gets the job done.)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how to save my ship once it is done and import it into the game. I managed to get a .ftl file from the program and Grognak's Mod Manager loaded it into my FTL, but when I tried to use my ship, instead of seeing the custom image and the rooms I set for the ship, I saw the Engi Ship A exploding (in the hangar), and it had none of the add-ons I included. IIRC, the only thing working as intended was the ship's name.