[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 am

Darkfrost wrote:Still being developed, just got put on hold for a bit since real-life stuff got in the way :)
That's great to hear! Don't worry, I know how it is when you've developed a tool, put it out there on the internet, and then people keep using it and finding bugs and asking you to fix them. Especially when there are other things you'd rather be doing (in my case, that'd be playing and modding FTL!)

When you have a moment, it'd be great to hear which of the bugs or feature requests you're planning to look at next. But don't worry, I know how we can sometimes need to take time away from supporting random free tools we put on the web!
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Absu

Postby Absu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

A hint if you want to get all the coordinates in the ships' XML-files right just open the ship-images in Photoshop and turn on the info panel (Window -> Show info, should be it) and you can hover to get the coordinates. For example the x- and y-attributes in the XML-file seem to be where the room's origin (0, 0 position) should be.

The weapon-mount positions seem to be a little mystery to me though. It seems they're a little offset from the position in the ship XML-file, however "mirror" seem to indicate that a weapon should be the mirror, that is y is counted from the bottom up instead of top down.

In case of enemy-ships the x- and y-coordiantes seem to switch too unless I've missed something.
Hydra74

Postby Hydra74 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 am

Hi guys! Could someone help with my issue? i get evrything going and when ever i choose my ship from the list i get "assertion failed, line 1383, expression: text" how can i fix that?
cheers for any help given

*edit: ok changed a few things, now it gives this error: "this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." i can see the ship in selection menu, it has the custom image i set (millenium falcon) and everytime i select it it crashes :(
filip15100

Postby filip15100 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:20 am

Hey, I got an problem here, the program was working all fine and everything and I had no issues using it. But when I tried to recreate one of my ships, the editor worked all fine, but then when I tried to access it in the game it just shutted down, no error messages, nothing, and I did nothing different than I always have done. I tried reinstalling this editor tried to make my ship a bit different etc. it didn't work. So I hope that someone could help me with this situation, as I'm completely clueless on what to do.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am

A couple of ideas for fixing both of the last problems:

Take note of the "Important ship settings" you specified in the editor Options. If you don't have it open in the FTL Ship Editor any more, unzip the .ftl file and look in the data/blueprints.xml.append file, on the line that looks like this:

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS" img="mutalisk" layout="mutalisk">

The "ID" in the Editor, which is the "name" in the XML file, should always be one of the 18 FTL ships: PLAYER_SHIP_HARD, PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2, PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE, etc.

The "layout" needs to match the .txt file and the .xml file in the same directory as the blueprints.xml.append file. E.g. for my ship above with layout="mutalisk", there needs to be mutalisk.txt and mutalisk.xml in the same directory. FTL Ship Editor provides the .txt file so this shouldn't be a problem, but the .xml file you'll need to make yourself. Copy one of the base game's ones (e.g. kestral.xml), rename it to match your layout (e.g. mutalisk.xml), and edit it to specify the width and height of your ship image. This is also where you adjust the x and y offset of the image to get it lined up underneath the rooms.

The "img" needs to correspond to lots of files in the img/ship directory. You need to provide myshipname_base.png; myshipname_floor.png; myshipname_gib1.png; and myshipname_gib2.png, 3, 4, 5, myshipname_gib6.png if your XML file defines those gibs. To start with you can just have the ship image in myshipname_base.png, create a copy of that in myshipname_gib1.png, and then put an empty png image as _floor and _gib2-_gib6.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
filip15100

Postby filip15100 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 pm

alextfish wrote:A couple of ideas for fixing both of the last problems:

Take note of the "Important ship settings" you specified in the editor Options. If you don't have it open in the FTL Ship Editor any more, unzip the .ftl file and look in the data/blueprints.xml.append file, on the line that looks like this:

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS" img="mutalisk" layout="mutalisk">

The "ID" in the Editor, which is the "name" in the XML file, should always be one of the 18 FTL ships: PLAYER_SHIP_HARD, PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2, PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE, etc.

The "layout" needs to match the .txt file and the .xml file in the same directory as the blueprints.xml.append file. E.g. for my ship above with layout="mutalisk", there needs to be mutalisk.txt and mutalisk.xml in the same directory. FTL Ship Editor provides the .txt file so this shouldn't be a problem, but the .xml file you'll need to make yourself. Copy one of the base game's ones (e.g. kestral.xml), rename it to match your layout (e.g. mutalisk.xml), and edit it to specify the width and height of your ship image. This is also where you adjust the x and y offset of the image to get it lined up underneath the rooms.

The "img" needs to correspond to lots of files in the img/ship directory. You need to provide myshipname_base.png; myshipname_floor.png; myshipname_gib1.png; and myshipname_gib2.png, 3, 4, 5, myshipname_gib6.png if your XML file defines those gibs. To start with you can just have the ship image in myshipname_base.png, create a copy of that in myshipname_gib1.png, and then put an empty png image as _floor and _gib2-_gib6.

I appreciate your support, but I don't think this is the problem. What I do is that I take a ship from the game, in this case the vortex, changing some of the rooms with other rooms, making some 2x1 rooms to 2x2, changing the starter weapons, augements and the systems, that's all, nothing else, it worked just fine before, but it just started crashing now for some wierd reason, and yes, this is in gmm and the only mod activated.
and just in case the ID is set to PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2 and the layout and the img to circle_cruiser_2.
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 am

Alright, here's one for ya.

I can't close the program. I close the window BAM! Pops right back up. End it through the task manager? BAM! I Think it likes me, the only way to kill it is to restart the computer.

Admittingly, it's not a big deal, but still, WTF?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:23 am

dante2ndadvent wrote:Alright, here's one for ya.

I can't close the program. I close the window BAM! Pops right back up. End it through the task manager? BAM! I Think it likes me, the only way to kill it is to restart the computer.

Not entirely sure what causes it, but just load a ship and then close the ship editor.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:00 am

Ginger Dragon wrote:
dante2ndadvent wrote:Alright, here's one for ya.

Not entirely sure what causes it, but just load a ship and then close the ship editor.

Even that doesn't work anymore. Meh, it's not hurting anything.

EDIT: Uninstalled, re-downloaded, all fixed, crisis over.
Hydra74

Postby Hydra74 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:32 am

Hey there again! i ironed out some of the lines in xml files manualy, and now i can start the game, but evey time i choose my ship the game CTD without any errors and i tried everything that was mentioned before, also its a custom ship..