Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Perogie

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby Perogie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:21 am

If you plan to add beam and ion weapons soon, I'd be happy to make some sprites for them. I have some concepts but would like to know what levels of each I should make. If you want to keep it secret till the update (wouldn't see why at this point in development) ask and pm me. I enjoy designing games but suck at coding so would like to help on this game. Worth keeping an eye on :shock:
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 am

Hak86 wrote:@Spektor Hey, Who made the music for Tachyon? I found an .ogg file in the Tachyon.jar and it sounded really cool. 8-)

My friend is making the music.
Right now there are only 4 - 5 tracks ready.
And the one that's it the pack already is the Title theme.

Also when you make a ship with the old dev shipyard, how do you chose what ships it sells?

you mean how do you choose what ships are shown in the shipyard's lists?
It shows all ships that are in the models folder. (except the ones that have RACE = ALL iirk)

Perogie wrote:If you plan to add beam and ion weapons soon, I'd be happy to make some sprites for them. I have some concepts but would like to know what levels of each I should make.

That'd be great! If I understand correctly I use only 1 layer for now. Just check out the weapons that are already there for example.
I enjoy designing games but suck at coding so would like to help on this game. Worth keeping an eye on :shock:

The kind of person I've been looking for over 2 years now. :)
I'm good at coding but suck at art :D
Also If you can draw (not just use the splices from FTL) a ship, that would be perfect.
Because I've been talking to Isla, and been told that I can't legally sell my game while it has ships that are just splices of FTL ones. :(
And I was planning on going for the Steam Green Light in a month or so.
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:42 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:
Hak86 wrote:@Spektor Hey, Who made the music for Tachyon? I found an .ogg file in the Tachyon.jar and it sounded really cool. 8-)

My friend is making the music.
Right now there are only 4 - 5 tracks ready.
And the one that's it the pack already is the Title theme.

Cool!
kcd.Spektor wrote:
Also when you make a ship with the old dev shipyard, how do you chose what ships it sells?

you mean how do you choose what ships are shown in the shipyard's lists?
It shows all ships that are in the models folder. (except the ones that have RACE = ALL iirk)

I meant that when you build a ship in the dev ship yard, how do you chose what ships that the ship you just built can sell in it's ship store?
I hope I explained that better. :|
This is a bad signature. :|
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:04 am

Hak86 wrote:I meant that when you build a ship in the dev ship yard, how do you chose what ships that the ship you just built can sell in it's ship store?

Ah so you mean how do you configure what Gen Ships are sold in the shops.

By default all Gen Ships can be found in shops.
Only the ships that have RARITY set to >=100 will never appear in the shops.
Check out the Gen Ships tutorial.

Also there's a possibility to make shops that sell only a specified set of items(ships or systems).
But It's a bit harder to explain.
If you need to make such a shop then I'll help you.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:28 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:Also If you can draw (not just use the splices from FTL) a ship, that would be perfect.
Because I've been talking to Isla, and been told that I can't legally sell my game while it has ships that are just splices of FTL ones. :(
And I was planning on going for the Steam Green Light in a month or so.
Even if you'd be allowed to do this I find it highly unlikely that your game would be that well received on greenlight, since at the current state it does not feature any original artwork, just modified assets from FTL and its modding community.

Out of curiosity: Are you planning to pay artists or share revenue with them?
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:33 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:
Hak86 wrote:I meant that when you build a ship in the dev ship yard, how do you chose what ships that the ship you just built can sell in it's ship store?

Ah so you mean how do you configure what Gen Ships are sold in the shops.

By default all Gen Ships can be found in shops.
Only the ships that have RARITY set to >=100 will never appear in the shops.
Check out the Gen Ships tutorial.

Also there's a possibility to make shops that sell only a specified set of items(ships or systems).
But It's a bit harder to explain.
If you need to make such a shop then I'll help you.

When I tested making a custom trader ship it's ship shop was empty! :shock:
This is a bad signature. :|
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:51 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Even if you'd be allowed to do this I find it highly unlikely that your game would be that well received on greenlight, since at the current state it does not feature any original artwork, just modified assets from FTL and its modding community.

The game is not about the art or graphics, the game is about the gameplay and what you can do in it.

Out of curiosity: Are you planning to pay artists or share revenue with them?

Id be glad to pay the artists when/if the game sells.
Though I'm very new to all of this, so I have no idea what are the prices or the procedures.

Also If the game passes greenlight then I will have some sponsorship help.
That will allow me to hire an artist to make original artwork.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:48 am

Hak86 wrote:When I tested making a custom trader ship it's ship shop was empty! :shock:

So you've made a trader ship with a ship's shop system. And just as you've created it in the shipyard - you've flown to the ship and the shop was empty?
If that the case then it's normal - because shop's stock is generated when the ship is added by an event.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:The game is not about the art or graphics, the game is about the gameplay and what you can do in it.
That's nice and all, but you still won't be able to use spliced art from other games, especially if you want to go commercial. You'll need some kind of custom art, regardless of what degree of importance you give it. And the way I see it your game won't get anywhere if your art isn't at least on par with the many game you'd be to competing with. I'm not arguing about which degree your game needs to be focused on art, I'm just pointing out that your game will need original art in the first place in order to be viable as thing you can sell.

kcd.Spektor wrote:Also If the game passes greenlight then I will have some sponsorship help.
Again out of curiosity: From who? Publishers/Investors, pretty much any potential funding sources will want something in return, you'll need to display commercial intent and have a feasible "product" and all. Jason Della Rocca had a neat talk on the topic on how to get funded as an indie at Amaze. Might be something to look into for you. I think it was pretty similar to this one...
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:48 am

Sleeper Service wrote:That's nice and all, but you still won't be able to use spliced art from other games, especially if you want to go commercial. You'll need some kind of custom art, regardless of what degree of importance you give it. And the way I see it your game won't get anywhere if your art isn't at least on par with the many game you'd be to competing with. I'm not arguing about which degree your game needs to be focused on art, I'm just pointing out that your game will need original art in the first place in order to be viable as thing you can sell.

Well I do agree that the better the art - the better.
But:
1. I'm no artist.
2. I don't have the funds right now to hire an artist.
3. I don't have any friends that are artist.
4. I can't find an artist that will make some art for free right now, with potential payback after/if the game sells.
Because:
5. I'm new to finishing, releasing, publishing games - so I absolutely have no ideas how it's done.
6. I have a full time job, and I can't spend as much time on the game as I would like to.
So if I do like you suggest:
7. I can either try to draw some art(read shit) myself (which I already partially did).
8. Or I can keep waiting till I find someone who will make the art for the game(which might take who knows how many years).
So In this case:
9. The game will never be finished, released.
10. And it will stay just as the topic says - just another multiplayer clone project.
Point is that:
11. I've already spent over 2 years on the game.
12. I can't spend any more years on it without getting something out of it. (I have family, kids, and they want me to spend time with them, not on the game that brings nothing).
13. So I do what ever I can.
14. I've talked to some guys from an experienced local game making company.
15. Showed them the game.
16. And they told me that If I make some screen shots and a Trailer of the game. That contains no illegal content(art).
Put it on steam, and it passes the greenlight.
17. Then they will fund the artist and will publish the game.(of-course they will get something out of it)
18. In that case I will be able to get something out of it, and will continue working on the game.
19. Before going for greenlight I just need to add some stuff to the game(The storyline, quests/missions, etc.)
20. And that's what I'm doing right now.

Della Rocca had a neat talk on the topic on how to get funded as an indie at Amaze. Might be something to look into for you. I think it was pretty similar to this one...

Thanks. I just wish I had the time to watch all the vids and read all the books, and do everything the proper way.
Last edited by kcd.Spektor on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.