Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kcd.Spektor

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby kcd.Spektor » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:32 am

jrb00001 wrote:When will you release the update?

Hopefully tomorrow. :)
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Hello everyone :)
Alpha 0.2 is out.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ker48ukku9stcjt/SpaceTeam.rar

What's new:
1. Added a bunch of server parameters - just ope the config.cfg file in notepad and read :)
2. When mobs run out of oxygen it's no longer an instakill, now they slowly die.
3. Allowed to input letters in server ip line - should work with DNS names now.(didn't test)
4. Used texture.setFilter(TextureFilter.Linear, TextureFilter.Linear); as was suggested by you gyus. The graphisc do looke better now :)
5. Ship editor now allows underscore in model names
6. Oxygen mechanic reworked. Now it's more FTL like
7. Added Fires and breaches
8. To extinguish fires hold the F button. It puts out fires derectly under you and 1 cell in front of you.(Uses the same animation as reparing but different sound)
9. Added hull size to ship model file, and you can edit it in the ship editor.(Will make a tutorial on that soon)
10. Server now autosaves data every N minutes
11. Added a message when lost server connection.
12. Server should now run in console mode properly - Console comands: save(initiates save game data), exit(saves game data and shuts down server)
Hope jrb will test this. :)
13. Added version check for client that connects to server
14. Added ability for crew members to open remote doors by mouse clicking them(like in the door control system interface)
15. Added simple chat, Messages are sent to everyone in the sector.(Can't send messages between sectors). Press enter to open chat window.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I just tried alpha 0.2 on Linux for a bit. Here's some weirdness I encountered pretty quickly:

- You don't lose oxygen in space, only in low-oxygen rooms on the ship
- In certain positions near corners when you're outside the ship you can see a tile inside the ship
- The collision box (when outside) of the starting station doesn't fully match the sprite (as in, some rooms act like they're 1 tile wider in certain directions than they are but not all)
- I don't really understand the point of crew onboard a ship being able to close doors anywhere on the ship? Somehow it feels like this kind of nullifies the threat of running out of oxygen and the point to manning the doors.
- When quitting manning a system, the animation keeps going until you move.
- When closing a door while standing in its hitbox, you don't get pushed until you move.
- Suffocation kills you faster than a powered level 3 medbay heals you. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

And what's the default server mode if not console mode?

Edit: Is there any way to delete accidental ships? I didn't quite understand how to select which room to put the systems in so I created a ship with nothing but piloting and that's clipped outside the ship, too. Personal oxygen refills painfully slowly at level 1. Closing all doors (at door control) breaks my ears.

Edi2: One more thing: With door auto close enabled, if I open a door, then close and reopen it before the autoclose timer runs out, it will close it very quickly after I reopened the door. In other words, the timer doesn't get deleted/reset when I close the doors manually, it only checks if the door is currently open when the timer runs out.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 pm

fdagpigj wrote:- You don't lose oxygen in space, only in low-oxygen rooms on the ship

That's a bug :P

- In certain positions near corners when you're outside the ship you can see a tile inside the ship

Can you provide a screenshot?

- The collision box (when outside) of the starting station doesn't fully match the sprite (as in, some rooms act like they're 1 tile wider in certain directions than they are but not all)

Colision box outside will not be the same as ship sprite, it is based on the blocked and room cells of the ship's layout - look at the station in the ship editor.

- I don't really understand the point of crew onboard a ship being able to close doors anywhere on the ship? Somehow it feels like this kind of nullifies the threat of running out of oxygen and the point to manning the doors.

The point is that if there are few people on the ship(1 or 2), and you need to keep a door opened(because it will auto close by default), for example if there's a breach and you need to share oxygen between rooms, then you would need to run to the door control system, and open the door from there(or disable the auto closing).
But I think I will just make this ability available only for the captain of the ship.

- When quitting manning a system, the animation keeps going until you move.
- When closing a door while standing in its hitbox, you don't get pushed until you move.

I see no harm in this :)
Plus, changing this would require some time spending, and I would prefer to spend it on something more essential :P

- Suffocation kills you faster than a powered level 3 medbay heals you. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

This is configurable, not balanced, and there can be med bay level <any> :)

And what's the default server mode if not console mode?

I just run the exe or the jar with double click :)

Edit: Is there any way to delete accidental ships?

Make a good ship and use the old one as target practice :)

I didn't quite understand how to select which room to put the systems in

Click the top left cell of the room

and that's clipped outside the ship, too.

What do you mean clipped outside the ship?

Personal oxygen refills painfully slowly at level 1.

That's unbalanced and configurable.

Closing all doors (at door control) breaks my ears.

If you can suggest a better door opening and closing sounds I would apreciate it :)

One more thing: With door auto close enabled, if I open a door, then close and reopen it before the autoclose timer runs out, it will close it very quickly after I reopened the door. In other words, the timer doesn't get deleted/reset when I close the doors manually, it only checks if the door is currently open when the timer runs out.

True. But it's not critical for now.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 pm

The server is online: spaceteam.692b8c32.de
Port: 30303
It can take more than a minute to connect because the game loads about 4 MB.

@kcd.Spektor: Everything worked but I had two "problems":
  • The UDP port was 30304 which is not mentioned anywhere. The error message "Unable to connect to spaceteam.692b8c32.de:30303" does not help because it is wrong.
  • There is no console output if a command is unknown and there is no list of commands.
Do you really need to send 600 kb/s while standing on the spawn station? It goes up by 300 kb/s per ship. That is too much for a game. It will be interesting how that changes with more players.

kcd.Spektor wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:- I don't really understand the point of crew onboard a ship being able to close doors anywhere on the ship? Somehow it feels like this kind of nullifies the threat of running out of oxygen and the point to manning the doors.

The point is that if there are few people on the ship(1 or 2), and you need to keep a door opened(because it will auto close by default), for example if there's a breach and you need to share oxygen between rooms, then you would need to run to the door control system, and open the door from there(or disable the auto closing).
But I think I will just make this ability available only for the captain of the ship.

Why do you need the door control system if somebody can control doors from everywhere? Please make it configurable.

kcd.Spektor wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:And what's the default server mode if not console mode?

I just run the exe or the jar with double click :)

It opens a very small window. The window has a size of about 0x0 (+decorations) which means the X is not visible.

kcd.Spektor wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:Closing all doors (at door control) breaks my ears.

If you can suggest a better door opening and closing sounds I would apreciate it :)

All sounds are a bit loud but that is not a problem. Just limit the close-all-sound to max 3-5 and delay each one for a few frames. I would like an option to disable the button sounds.

Another sound bug: No sound after a reconnect of the sound card. The console shows this message:

Code: Select all

AL lib: (EE) stream_state_callback2: Received stream failure!

And another bug if I click on the screen after I died:

Code: Select all

Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at tk.spgames.spaceteam.screen.GameScreen.checkDoorClick(GameScreen.java:1374)
   at tk.spgames.spaceteam.screen.GameScreen.checkLevelInteraction(GameScreen.java:538)
   at tk.spgames.spaceteam.screen.GameScreen.touchUp(GameScreen.java:925)
   at tk.spgames.spaceteam.MainGame.touchUp(MainGame.java:364)
   at com.badlogic.gdx.InputMultiplexer.touchUp(InputMultiplexer.java:96)
   at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglInput.processEvents(LwjglInput.java:305)
   at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(LwjglApplication.java:199)
   at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:114)
Manters

Postby Manters » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Well, This has certainly come along way. Seeing how many are supporting this project, I'd be quite interested in supporting it myself. Of course, All I can really do is offer some things...
1. maybe some art. :?
2. Quite probably some sound fx,
3. I could definitely offer story elements (I'll dig up some of my old journals, I'm pretty sure that I have a couple of concepts from the Sci-Fi universe I've been developing for the past 5 years now that have been cut out) and one or two species (Pretty sure I have one or two species) :lol: :lol: :lol:
4. A couple of ship ideas. (Ex. Guard turret; unmanned, no engines, just powerful long range weapons and shields, deployed in quads or pairs to guard unshielded stations. I'll post maybe some concept art for them later, :mrgreen: )
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Bug: When I die on jrb00001 server and respawn again I cant use any systems and the screen doesn't move.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 pm

The_Bear wrote:Bug: When I die on jrb00001 server and respawn again I cant use any systems and the screen doesn't move.

To add to that, my oxygen wasn't going down (I think only client-side, though hard to confirm) and I wasn't dying despite the fact that the spawn station was vented. When I relogged I died very fast from suffocation. We were still able to chat, though.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:01 pm

The_Bear wrote:Bug: When I die on jrb00001 server and respawn again I cant use any systems and the screen doesn't move.
To add to that, my oxygen wasn't going down (I think only client-side, though hard to confirm) and I wasn't dying despite the fact that the spawn station was vented. When I relogged I died very fast from suffocation. We were still able to chat, though.

Found and fixed for the next version. Thanks.

jrb00001 wrote:It can take more than a minute to connect because the game loads about 4 MB.

That depends on the connection speed.

jrb00001 wrote:Do you really need to send 600 kb/s while standing on the spawn station? It goes up by 300 kb/s per ship.

Should be less in the next version(I hope :))

jrb00001 wrote:Why do you need the door control system if somebody can control doors from everywhere? Please make it configurable

Only captain will be able to do it.
And only if server allows it(I will add a server parameter for that, default value will be false).

jrb00001 wrote:It opens a very small window. The window has a size of about 0x0 (+decorations) which means the X is not visible

Will try to change it to be visible

jrb00001 wrote:I would like an option to disable the button sounds.

Button sounds just need to be better. Anyone have good button sounds? :)

jrb00001 wrote:Another sound bug: No sound after a reconnect of the sound card.

Not really my code there, and I've never seen this bug before.

jrb00001 wrote:And another bug if I click on the screen after I died:

Fixed for next version.

Manters wrote:Well, This has certainly come along way. Seeing how many are supporting this project, I'd be quite interested in supporting it myself. Of course, All I can really do is offer some things...
1. maybe some art. :?
2. Quite probably some sound fx,
3. I could definitely offer story elements (I'll dig up some of my old journals, I'm pretty sure that I have a couple of concepts from the Sci-Fi universe I've been developing for the past 5 years now that have been cut out) and one or two species (Pretty sure I have one or two species) :lol: :lol: :lol:
4. A couple of ship ideas. (Ex. Guard turret; unmanned, no engines, just powerful long range weapons and shields, deployed in quads or pairs to guard unshielded stations. I'll post maybe some concept art for them later, :mrgreen: )

Any help is appreciated.
But art, and sounds are the most needed help. :)
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Another idea: if you have a special item or engine can you use wormholes to travel to other wormholes, this can way you can travel from one side of the galaxy to the other.