[MOD] Full Systems Test

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

[MOD] Full Systems Test

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Install with Slipstream Mod Manager

MediaFire Download Link

This is a little mod that installs every system, except clonebay, onto every player ship.

This might not be all that useful for users of Superluminal, but I manually create my ships with Notepad, so I find this file to be useful in testing newly created ships.

Load this mod after any ships that you want to test.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NarnKar

Re: [MOD] Full Systems Test

Postby NarnKar » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Huh! I can imagine this being pretty useful for testing, yeah. (And for *those* kinds of FTL players...)

Also:

RAD-82 wrote:I create my ships in Notepad

Dang, really? Wow...in between this and your thorough understanding of SMM tags...serious respect, man. I couldn't wrap my mind around half the stuff on ships, let alone any of the SMM tags. System assignments on ships, I'm okay with, but I don't understand how rooms and doors are numbered...never able to figure that stuff out.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:18 pm

I hope you mean Notepad++. o_o' Anyway i really like the room layout and the floor! That central section is so cool! Nice job!! : )
ImageImageImageImageImage
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:55 pm

TaxiService wrote:I hope you mean Notepad++.

Nope. Just plain old Notepad. I've never seen a Notepad++ before.

Here are some screenshots (1280 x 800) to show how I work. Interesting... the new forum seems to resize the image in my post preview. :) I suppose that is better than cutting off the right side.

First, my graphics program. It's certainly older than GIMP, but at least I can use it.

Those poorly drawn numbers marking the rooms is the 'Copy of Systems' layer. I never bothered to rename that layer.

Second, Notepad with the ship in the background for reference. I keep the Notepad window wide like that for editing the .xml files. It certainly doesn't help when doing the .txt file for a ship layout. :lol:

All of this is done on an old XP laptop that probably couldn't run FTL. I have to take all of my work over to my brother's house and use his laptop to actually test my work.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:40 pm

RAD-82 wrote:

~snip~

This makes me extraordinarily happy for some reason. I like that there are folks who know how to fiddle with the raw files, and aren't tethered to Superliminal to make their ships work. :)
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 pm

RAD-82 wrote:

~snip~

about notepad++
in a nutshell, notepad++ is an Integrated development environment that makes code easier to see and manage
In my brief experience in combining 3 ships into one mod, I chose notepad++

advantages
unlike notepad, where all the text is one color, where it is harder to find out what the tags are,
notepad++ allows you to see the tags and the code in different colors, organizing what you're looking at

for example, say you have the blueprints.xml.append file
changed to blueprints.xml

here is the main difference

not the best at explaining, but you can see the difference between notepad++ and regular notepad

notepad++ is free btw
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Aw, Rad! that's rad!!! You're quite the old school modder! :D haha

I've always found notepad to be a little too basic for a text editor. I suggest to take a look at notepad++'s features if you are interested in syntax highlight and more useful functions for coding. It might save you lots of time! :P
ImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:40 am

wait wait wait wait wait...

I am (and rad) are the only ones who do it in Normal Notepad? O_o

Well I use Supperluminal for the starters of making my ship but I use GIMP 2 / microsoft paint for art and the standard Notepad for codding...

You telling me all this time with my issues to find codding errors sometimes for weeks is not caused by my novice-knowledge of coding but instead the fact I do it one of the hardest ways possible?...
...can someone point me a download link for the propper program to do codding in?

Something tells me my overhaul mod would have been finished 1 year ago with a Captains edition, Advance edition, and so on if I known this sooner...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:36 am

I'm using gedit, which basically provides the same functionality as described here. There are also some great plug-ins available for it, the most helpful thing I added was "Advanced Find and Replace", which allows to cross-modify parts of your code in multiple files. That's helpful if you want to correct words or code across all your events files for example, or if you want to modify all combat events like I did with the pre-combat augment options in CE. Notepad+ can probably do that stuff as well though.

I find Gimp more than sufficient for doing FTL graphics, so I'd say you picked the right thing in that regard. :D I think the devs mentioned that the original art was created using Photoshop, which is basically the same as gimp.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:14 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:wait wait wait wait wait...

I am (and rad) are the only ones who do it in Normal Notepad? O_o

Well I use Supperluminal for the starters of making my ship but I use GIMP 2 / microsoft paint for art and the standard Notepad for codding...

You telling me all this time with my issues to find codding errors sometimes for weeks is not caused by my novice-knowledge of coding but instead the fact I do it one of the hardest ways possible?...
...can someone point me a download link for the propper program to do codding in?

Something tells me my overhaul mod would have been finished 1 year ago with a Captains edition, Advance edition, and so on if I known this sooner...

I'm on the same level as you then.
Superluminal for getting the ship in order, GIMP 2 for the art and Notepad for designing weapons, events and all that jazz.
Then MTE and error checker for testing.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.