Is there a mod that raises crew level cap?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Skcarkden

Is there a mod that raises crew level cap?

Postby Skcarkden » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Hello.. I was wondering.. does anyone know if there's a mod that can raise the skill cap for crew at all? it's oddly the most enjoyable aspect of the game for me. taking time to max out my crew as much as possible along the way then swapping them out taking turns mastering shielding/weapons combat etc.. so it would be fun if i could fun a mod to expand on that if anyone know where it can be found.
Sleeper Service

Re: Is there a mod that raises crew level cap?

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Crew modability is very limited. So unfortunately stuff like that is not possible.
Voltion99

Postby Voltion99 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:38 pm

You just have to beEEELEEIIIIIVVVEEE.
Skcarkden

Postby Skcarkden » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:01 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Crew modability is very limited. So unfortunately stuff like that is not possible.

Aw.. is it? =( I don't know much about modding.. i just thought as long as whoever is making such mods knew where to look etc that it could be done, isn't it? :S
Skcarkden

Postby Skcarkden » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 am

Also while i'm here, i figure i'll ask rather than make another thread does that grognka mod thing still work? i wanna try build my own ship design
Chazero

Postby Chazero » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Grognak's Mod Manager was used to manage your mods in the game. However, that is now obsolete. Slipstream Mod Manager is the successor to that. There are many programs you can use to build your own ship but most people use Superluminal which has recently been released for AE.
FtDLulz

Postby FtDLulz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:02 pm

If you're talking about a mod manager, use Slipstream Mod Manager. If you want to build your own ship relatively easy, use Superluminal 2. It's still in beta though, so be warned.

Modability in this game is pretty limited since so much is hardcoded. There's been a few mods here and there trying to make it more expansive, but they're not close to being done I don't think.
Skcarkden

Postby Skcarkden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:27 am

FtDLulz wrote:If you're talking about a mod manager, use Slipstream Mod Manager. If you want to build your own ship relatively easy, use Superluminal 2. It's still in beta though, so be warned.

Modability in this game is pretty limited since so much is hardcoded. There's been a few mods here and there trying to make it more expansive, but they're not close to being done I don't think.

Oh, thanks you guys.

With regard sto the "hardcoded" comment, i'm sorry, i'm not very computer savvy, is this meant to mean like.. it's coded in such a way that it's equivalent to say... a load bearing wall in a house... change it around and risk collapse on the rest of the house? as a rough example.. I have some vague understanding of things like open source etc. i don't know whether this is open or closed, as i'm lead to believe open source and DRM free are not the same thing.

So i guess what i'm trying to ask.. even for fully open source games is it still possible to have some modding ideas be impossible due to this.. hardcoding?

Sorry if i'm not making sense.
featherwings

Postby featherwings » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 am

To use your house analogy:

The game developers built the house - part of building the house was laying down pipes for plumbing and wire in the walls. They paved over the pipes, drywalled over the wires, and painted everything. Once everything was set, they put in furniture - some of which requires outlets or water.

XML code editing, what every FTL mod has been so far, is like moving furniture around. We can make the house look and feel a lot different, we can make a bedroom be a study by changing the bed for a desk - but we can't add functionality that isn't already there just like we can't change things that have been hardcoded.

Things that are hardcoded are like the wiring and plumbing - it used to be simple copper wire and pipe (source code), but now it's part of a house (the code's compiled) - to change anything you'd have to physically tear up the walls (decompile the source) and even then you wouldn't have any idea where all the wires went and what they did. To add more crew levels would be like trying to add more outlets to an already built house.

On top of that, to even mess with wiring takes a lot more skill (coding knowledge) than simply moving furniture. And you're renting the house, so the landlord doesn't want you tearing it open and playing with the wires (to distribute a patch that messed with the executable, you'd need to modify and distribute the game's code, which is questionably legal and I believe the devs have asked us specifically not to do it.)

The short version: stuff that's hardcoded is orders of magnitude more difficult to mod and we might not even be allowed to distribute said mod.
Skcarkden

Postby Skcarkden » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 am

Oh okay, i think i understand now. Thanks for bearing with me with this. Shame though, but i still love the game =)