Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Tweevle

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby Tweevle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Gyrfalcon wrote:WOW!
I mean no offense to Trilobite but I like these a LOT more than the originals! It may be the darker, more alien-esque art style :D Also I can never say no to accessories!

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with these.

Thank you very much! :) I wasn't sure whether people would like them or not.

Incidentally, have some Humans (not as exciting as the aliens, but have more variants and sweet uniforms to make up for it):

Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:10 am

Wow, some great amount of variations there. Have you build these with the layer system in mind? Can they all be mixed together and still have uniform color and skin tones applied?
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 am

Tweevle wrote:
Gyrfalcon wrote:WOW!
I mean no offense to Trilobite but I like these a LOT more than the originals! It may be the darker, more alien-esque art style :D Also I can never say no to accessories!

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with these.

Thank you very much! :) I wasn't sure whether people would like them or not.

Incidentally, have some Humans (not as exciting as the aliens, but have more variants and sweet uniforms to make up for it):

Wow, I agree with Sleeper. Lord Trilobite's humans are OK, but they are quite limited. Somehow I actually got tired of looking at Nathan Fillion's face. :lol: Your female portraits are much better.

If you could mix and match portraits with different accessories that would be amazing. It doesn't seem too difficult a task. If you don't want to do the .xml stuff Im sure there is someone who would be more than happy to do that for you.

I honestly do much prefer your portraits because they are less detailed than Trilobite's and therefore fit the FTL art style better. They look more old fashioned. :D

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Slug. I honestly cannot tell what it is. It looks like a slime blob to me... :roll:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Can you have all those different human faces in the same game? I was under the impression that you could only have one.

And assuming you can, does that mean I could splice these together somehow with Trilobite's and have 2 different alien pics too?

And yes I know I can't just use both mods. I'm talking editing the image files.

EDIT:
Oh I see it's the same basic face with layers of items on top. Hmmm. Could you use this system to actually randomize the faces fully, like have different hairs (and hats and whatnot), eyes, noses, mouths, necks, and shoulders? For all races?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Tweevle

Postby Tweevle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Wow, some great amount of variations there. Have you build these with the layer system in mind? Can they all be mixed together and still have uniform color and skin tones applied?

Of course! The only issue is with NPCs, as I think was discussed before. They only use the top few layers IIRC, so while they'll still have some variations, skin colour won't be one of them (since that's at the bottom). But I suppose the Rebels already appear to be human supremacists, white supremacists might not be too much of a stretch?

Russian Rockman wrote:Wow, I agree with Sleeper. Lord Trilobite's humans are OK, but they are quite limited. Somehow I actually got tired of looking at Nathan Fillion's face. :lol: Your female portraits are much better.

I honestly do much prefer your portraits because they are less detailed than Trilobite's and therefore fit the FTL art style better. They look more old fashioned. :D

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the Slug. I honestly cannot tell what it is. It looks like a slime blob to me... :roll:

Thanks! :) I'm not sure if mine are less detailed per se, I think it's more that Trilobite's used a larger spectrum of colours, whereas I attempted to just use the colours from the original sprites where possible, so that they'd match. Maybe the Slug needs a bit more work, idk?

Russian Rockman wrote:If you could mix and match portraits with different accessories that would be amazing. It doesn't seem too difficult a task. If you don't want to do the .xml stuff Im sure there is someone who would be more than happy to do that for you.

Oh, for sure. And the .xml stuff is half the fun, so I wouldn't dream of it. :P

5thHorseman wrote:Oh I see it's the same basic face with layers of items on top. Hmmm. Could you use this system to actually randomize the faces fully, like have different hairs (and hats and whatnot), eyes, noses, mouths, necks, and shoulders? For all races?

Perhaps, with some serious ingenuity. The main problem is, you can't force the layer colours to match up with each other - they're randomized per crewmember. So if, for example, you had a layer with a certain type of chin, you couldn't guarantee the chin's skin colour would match up with the rest of the face, because each set of tints on each layer are shifted randomly relative to the others.

Similarly, if you had multiple layers with various types of hats, you couldn't force one hat to be "on" (i.e. fully opaque) while the rest were "off" (fully transparent), so you could potentially have all the hats overlapping each other at once. You can work around this if you make the layers above fully cover the ones below, so it doesn't matter if the ones underneath show up (which is what I did with the hairstyles), but it does limit what you can do.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about that's fine - it's difficult to explain. TL;DR maybe it could be done, but it'd require some serious thought because of FTL being weird.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 am

Tweevle wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Wow, I agree with Sleeper. Lord Trilobite's humans are OK, but they are quite limited. Somehow I actually got tired of looking at Nathan Fillion's face. :lol: Your female portraits are much better.

Thanks! :) I'm not sure if mine are less detailed per se, I think it's more that Trilobite's used a larger spectrum of colours, whereas I attempted to just use the colours from the original sprites where possible, so that they'd match. Maybe the Slug needs a bit more work, idk?

That is a better way of putting it. Your portraits seem to fit the FTL style more. About the Slug, I think the problem is you can't see his face as well as the other portraits. Maybe if he was just a bit more upright.

I also must compliment you on how fantastic your Rock and Crystal look!
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 am

The Wanderblood, a heavy cruiser with two ASBs as artillery.
Yep.
Two ASBs as artillery.

They don't work, as of now, but they look pretty damn sweet.
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:12 am

Well, i've finally decided to come back to ftl modding with this little (WIP) ship:
art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Tweevle wrote:

I actually don't have a problem with the slug sprites, it rather matches the slug personality presented in-game: slimy, indulgent, crass beings. The tentacles instead of eyes is a good touch, playing into the slug's telepathy in game.

If you were looking to change something, maybe make the colors of the "mouth" different than the rest of the slug's palette, so it's easier to distinguish. That or just add a dastardly mustache. ;)

Fingers crossed for a working download soon!
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 am

Holy crap! A weapon is just floating in space!

Hmm... That's not very exciting. It's just 1100%.

Edit: Now playable - viewtopic.php?t=26264
Last edited by RAD-82 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.