[MOD] Crew Diversity

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: [MOD] Crew Diversity

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 3:01 am

Good job on the disks. They do not seem distracting, they actually seem better than the vanilla outlines. The cool thing is they match the new selection "boxes" when moving your crew around.

The only thing might suggest is to have slightly smaller circles for non-Rock & Crystal crew. Just maybe 1.5 times the size or something. But they look fine as is.

IN OTHER NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check this mod out!!http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24541&p=77291#p77291

It changes the portraits for crew!!!!! Apparently portraits are not the first frame of the walking animation. They are actually in the bottom left of each sheet!!!!! So now you can finally do what you wanted to do with adding new portraits. The person who made the above mod did a really good job, BUT, I would like to see what you come up with because I think your sprite work would match the vanilla style more.

Also, it might actually be possible to make the portraits animated but I haven't checked that. If it is you could just make them blink like it all the RPG games. ;)

This also opens up some good possibilities for Lighter Than Air.:)
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks Rock!

Also, really sorry, but did you see who posted the first few comments on that thread? ^^

I really like his work, though I wouldn't want to tread on his toes by re-doing his stuff.

The smaller disks is possible, they would go jaggy on rescale- though I spent some time cleaning up the edges last night so maybe not such a big deal...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 am

Gencool wrote:Thanks Rock!

Also, really sorry, but did you see who posted the first few comments on that thread? ^^

I really like his work, though I wouldn't want to tread on his toes by re-doing his stuff.

The smaller disks is possible, they would go jaggy on rescale- though I spent some time cleaning up the edges last night so maybe not such a big deal...

No sorry!! :oops: I only saw the Working Mods thread, not the Development one. :oops: :oops: When we were talking about that a few months ago I remember you had said it wasn't possible to create different crew portraits without changing the walking animation.

I was just saying that you could do something similar for Lighter than Air or for your own Crew Diversity mod since his portraits won't be compatible with all of your changes. You don't have to make them as detailed though, just magnified version of the faces on the crew skins with a few extra details or something.

Again, sorry I didn't see that before...

EDIT: Ah, I see now, a misunderstanding on my part. I reread the first page and saw that you were saying that the "idol" animation didn't work. I was just sure that the idol and portrait animation were the same until I saw that new mod. Sorry again.
KoolTheKid

Postby KoolTheKid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Gencool wrote:This actually spawned from trying to update the Tardis for AE. Turns out, there's some interesting things in the crew's colour coding.

Crew Diversity

A simple mod to create more individuality between your crew members.

IndividualityMod.png

Planned Features So Far

Random character generation
By having a larger number of variables in each crew member, as well as a larger range of alternatives within those variables, duplicate characters should become less common, and your crew may well mean more to you

Skin tone - Hair tone seperation
The current system used to define the colour of Human crew has the Hair and Skin colours directly linked. This mod will split that, as well as adding new tones for both elements. The same concept can be used in most aspects of the mod

Additional character assets
Creating new items of apparel for species, such as armor, warpaint and weaponry

'Shiny' assets
Having certain assets being less common than others because... well why not?

Current Progress

This all sounds official, but really I've just been playing around so far;

I currently have created new sheets for both genders of Human, as well as Mantis and Rock.
I have 'unlocked' some of the colours left in by the developers, as well as coding in new colours.
I have tested additional armour on the Mantis, and mutually-exclusive 'markings' on the Rocks left and right arms.

(results above)

Current Bugs

The only bug I've found so far also serves as a feature. Basically; where all enemy crew members once wore the same purple jumpsuits as your own, they now where a clean, white version (as sported by Breckon above).
This looks incredibly cool for the rebels, but possibly out of place for pirates etc.
Since there's no way around this bug, I'm embracing it.

If people like the sound/look of this, I shall carry on working and try to get a fully working version out soon =D

So this mod has pretty much been abandoned?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi there!

I'm VERY very sorry, life's been a bit of a hell recently, I've still got a load of the files but I can't for the life of me remember where I was or what I was doing with it. Gonna read over my old notes and files and see if I can't get something uploaded soon.
ImageImageImage
KoolTheKid

Postby KoolTheKid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Gencool wrote:Hi there!

I'm VERY very sorry, life's been a bit of a hell recently, I've still got a load of the files but I can't for the life of me remember where I was or what I was doing with it. Gonna read over my old notes and files and see if I can't get something uploaded soon.

Oh wow! I didn't expect a response.
Do what you need to do man, sucks that life is being hard on you.
I hope you can release something soon, the mod is very interesting.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:26 am

Ha, no worries, and thankyou ^^
Honestly, this has been bugging me for a while.

(p.s. go look in Working Mods ;) )
ImageImageImage