first properly spliced ship

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
xlandar

first properly spliced ship

Postby xlandar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:44 am

i've been working on my first ship with a properly spliced hull (i.e doing some art to connect them), and i believe enough of it has been completed for a sneak peek. it's going to be a private cruiser (type A), and a passenger ship (type B). criticism and advice wanted! (also, which bridge should i remove?)

art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
Sleeper Service

Re: first properly spliced ship

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am

Looks alright so far. :)

Minor points:
- There is no shading where the engine part overlaps with the bomber/scout hull.
- I recommend removing the rosy glow all ship parts are surrounded with before using them for splicing. Else it shows even more where your spliced parts do overlap (in your case visible where the engine part overlaps with the bomber/scout hull.)
- Top bridge section could be removed, maybe replaced with some panels or the bomber hatch thing. Feels like a short ship like that does not need a top bridge to me. It could also be turn into some kind of viewing galary/astro lab, maybe by adding some more windows to the side and removing the top vent end the airlock things at the rear.
- The whole rear section is very much reminiscent of the Fed cruiser, could be altered more to make this less obvious

Thats all just my personally opinion. This could already pass as a usable ship, depending on your standards.
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:12 pm

i noticed the no shadows at the overlap and will try and fix that (i'm not very good with shading though). i will also be removing the glow. removing the top bridge and replacing it with the bomber hatch is a very god idea :) i will definitely do something similar. i'm not sure about the engines, i want to change them slightly, but i'm not sure what to change.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:47 pm

It's a very omnipotent being idea? ;)
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:42 am

i've been doing some changes along the lines of what sleeper suggested. this is a quick update on what i've done so far.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Big improvement I'd say.

IMO it still feels like there is some discrepancy in depth where the two major spliced parts are connected. The engines front is either somewhat obstructed by the far side ends of the bomber hull, or, indicated by the shading, the bomber hull is bellow the engine. The later would be weird cause the engine shading indicates that the engines are pretty low, probably the lowed parts of the ship. Removing the far side tips of the bomber hull or fusing it into the engine wing parts, (paying lose attention to shading in the prices) could still make it look more smooth and unique.

Also the remaining exhaust things from the second cockpit could get the same grey shade as the very top of the ship, to indicate that they are level and streamlined with the rest of the hull.
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:45 pm

My short and quick little advice to you is to make the osprey-spliced part of the ship smaller, when you look at it from the side it looks like a tiny ship with giant engines :lol:

Well, you could also increas the size of it's frontal hull.
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:02 pm

i have completely removed the parts overlapping with the engines, and i have been removing the glow. the next version should be finished later today! :lol:
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:30 pm

MightyKebab wrote:My short and quick little advice to you is to make the osprey-spliced part of the ship smaller, when you look at it from the side it looks like a tiny ship with giant engines :lol:

Well, you could also increas the size of it's frontal hull.

Hey, you could make a great mod out of this: a Federation Interceptor armed with the Vindicator beam!

That being said OP, I would really love to see where this is going. ;)
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

So this splice seems to be going great! The only problem I have with it new is the fact that it seems so unbalanced. The engines just kinda look big. Still your work with the cockpit looks nice.