ftl infinite space makes no sense

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NonPlayableYoshi

Re: ftl infinite space makes no sense

Postby NonPlayableYoshi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:54 pm

English Narwhal wrote:
NonPlayableYoshi wrote:
agigabyte wrote:You can code something's, but not new things, like food.

why not make it a augmentation for food that gets taken away when you go to the next sector
you can add a shop at the exit with events. or however you want to give it to them.
there are ways. people don't like to find them

Yes, a food augmentation is possible but wow is it pointless. One, it would take up one of the three augment slots (there cannot be any more augment slots), and two, implementing such a limit would be kind of hard, as the beginning of the sector (there is only one sector in FTL Infinite space, repeated over and over again) would need to have a detection event to check if you had this augment or not.

Though you have some interesting ideas, please make sure you know what is/what isn't possible or what is simply too complicated to manage before stating that modders aren't interested in finding these solutions.

...yea i got nothing. i was going to say i never say they aren't interested but i kind of did.
well...what about something taking up a drone/weapons (and put it in the cargo) and make it use ...9 power so it cant be used as a weapon/drone. that does not seem as bad. and i know the coding is hard. never said it was easy. but you can do it. oh and in case i get a "then do it yourself" i don't mod games. well a made a custom ship...but with a ship editor but that's about it
Captain Ace's Journey
This is the story of Ace the mantis.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Stuff can be coded, but you can't add things like that.

Augs can't be taken away by events.
NonPlayableYoshi

Postby NonPlayableYoshi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 pm

agigabyte wrote:Stuff can be coded, but you can't add things like that.

1. all ready got told that
2. thank you for helping
3. what about drones/weapons
4.and now that i think about it...why just make it so you have to buy food at ever new sector or you lose a crew and i think that will work. Universal Starting Beacon 1.15
Captain Ace's Journey
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 pm

NonPlayableYoshi wrote:
agigabyte wrote:Stuff can be coded, but you can't add things like that.

1. all ready got told that
2. thank you for helping
3. what about drones/weapons
4.and now that i think about it...why just make it so you have to buy food at ever new sector or you lose a crew and i think that will work. Universal Starting Beacon 1.15

Maybe, not an expert at mods though.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 pm

The coding part itself isn't hard -- it's all just fiddling with XML, which is a very simple language.
The problem is that most of the stuff you're suggesting is hardcoded, ie. can't be changed without modifying the game's executable -- which can't be done in current state of modding.

NonPlayableYoshi wrote:3. what about drones/weapons

Same thing as with augments -- we have no way to remove blueprints/augments from the player via events. Here's to hoping AE will introduce this...

NonPlayableYoshi wrote:4.and now that i think about it...why just make it so you have to buy food at ever new sector or you lose a crew and i think that will work. Universal Starting Beacon 1.15

USB adds a new event at the beggining of the game that gets executed only once, the moment you exit the hangar. It wouldn't work differently in Infinite Space.
I suppose you misunderstood it, and think that there was some "hacking" involved -- nope. In essence, it's just a simple change in Federation Sector's starting event + rules telling other people what to do to keep mods compatible.

Your idea would work if we had any way to remove augments or blueprints... However, you could work around that by portraying, say, missiles as food, and then having an event that would by default kill a crewmember, and a blue option requiring 1 missile that allows the player to save all crew, but lose 1 missile.
Not sure how conditionals involving ammo work, though... I think the vanilla events are hardcoded in that regard.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
NonPlayableYoshi

Postby NonPlayableYoshi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 am

Your idea would work if we had any way to remove augments or blueprints... However, you could work around that by portraying, say, missiles as food, and then having an event that would by default kill a crewmember, and a blue option requiring 1 missile that allows the player to save all crew, but lose 1 missile.
Not sure how conditionals involving ammo work, though... I think the vanilla events are hardcoded in that regard.

what about something like this (IF you can code it):
Your crew is getting hungry. you stop to get some food
1.don't buy any food
One crew member dies
2.(30 or more scrap) Buy food
-30 scrap
Captain Ace's Journey
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 am

NonPlayableYoshi wrote:

what about something like this (IF you can code it):
1.don't buy any food
One crew member dies
-30 scrap

It's not that hard to write, though that scrap cost is steep.
NonPlayableYoshi

Postby NonPlayableYoshi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 am

English Narwhal wrote:
NonPlayableYoshi wrote:what about something like this (IF you can code it):
1.don't buy any food
One crew member dies
-30 scrap

It's not that hard to write, though that scrap cost is steep.

steep? in ftl infinite space. its made to be. you only get less scrap in ftl infinite space so you don't upgrade and become the most powerful thing in like 5 or less sectors.

matter of fact i would love for that to be added it will
1. make it more realistic
2.make it so you don't keep upgrading your ship all the time
3...thats all i got

after that all you need is the karma thing from captain's edition and more events
Captain Ace's Journey
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:13 am

Incorrect, you get such little scrap because sector progress is impossible for IS, so he CAN'T make you get more later.

Learn how the mod works.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Theoretically, I could run a fairly crazy loop involving 4 Crystal sectors.
And remember, I'm always around to answer questions on "Ask English Narwhal" (Link in my signature).