[PROJECT]Collective mod project "FTL:Borderlands Conversion"

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
G0ldunDrak0n

[PROJECT]Collective mod project "FTL:Borderlands Conversion"

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Hello everyone, I'm G0ldunDrak0n.

So, basically, what I propose you is simple : a Borderlands-related FTL conversion !
That means : new ships, new weapons, new sectors, new events, and a new ending (if possible).

I want the mod to be collective : I'll only give some base ideas, and everyone who participates will be considered as one of the mod's creators.
What I need is some people who know a little graphical editing and/or FTL modding. I myself will participate in the mod creation.

The mod will be released after FTL:Advanced Edition, because AE will probably change some things that I need to see before finishing the mod.

If you want to participate in the mod creation, you should let me know either be MP or on this topic, and show me something you made (FTL mod or else). You should also have played Borderlands or at least know what the game is about.

Main modding ideas :
- All player ships (excepting Crystal) will be replaced with A, B and C ships for each 'Borderlands 2' manufacturers, + 1 ship for SnS and 2 ships for Atlas (removed in BL2), Crystal will be 2 eridian ships
+ enemy vessels replaced accordingly.

-Races will be turned into different Borderlands famous characters :
-> Human => Crimson Raider
-> Mantis => Psycho
-> Rock => Bruiser
-> Zoltan => Siren
-> Engi => Ex Hyperion Engineer
-> Slugs => Rats (thanks Kaerius :))
-> Lanius => Hyperion Loaders (again, thanks Kaerius)
-> Crystal => Eridian !

-Weapons and drones will also correspond with the different manufacturers (and not all manufacturers will make all types of weapons), and their stats will stick to the manufacturer's gimmick.

-The storyline, events, and more particularly the last sector will be rewritten : the final boss should be some monstrous eridian ship 8-)

+ When all of the above are done, Borderlands-like UI and Borderlands music.

*Disclaimer*
I'm not affiliated in any way with Gearbox Software. This mod is not an advertisement for Borderlands games.
All Borderlands concepts I would quote in this topic are properties of Gearbox Software.
Last edited by G0ldunDrak0n on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image G0ldunDrak0nImageImage <-- Click here !
English Narwhal

Re: [PROJECT]Collective mod project "FTL:Borderlands Convers

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 pm

So what you're saying is that we submit our mod parts now... when you want it advanced edition compatible?
Also, not to be cranky or anything, but most mod makers (including myself) aren't into doing someone else's work, which is what you are proposing.
G0ldunDrak0n

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Sorry, I think I haven't been really clear on what I want to do.
In fact, I want to start now to gather modders who would be interested in making a Borderlands-themed mod. Then, we will discuss about what we should put in the mod, and about who will do what part of the mod. And finally, when AE is released, we'll start working on the mod, so it will be compatible.
Also, this is not about making other people do my mod, it's more like gathering multiple modders who would be interested in the same project, so that it takes less time to finish it. I don't know if I'm really making myself clear...
What I mean is that I want to gather a modding team for a mod project bigger than only one or two ships, and if it works, why not for other projects after that !
So, this probably won't interess you if you don't want to work with other modders.
Anyway, if you have other questions, feel free to ask (and sorry for this answer being so long :D) !
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm

English Narwhal wrote:So what you're saying is that we submit our mod parts now... when you want it advanced edition compatible?
Also, not to be cranky or anything, but most mod makers (including myself) aren't into doing someone else's work, which is what you are proposing.

To be fair, at least he's produced a functional mod before proposing a collaborative work.

However, G0ldunDrak0n, I do need to warn you... You've produced one mod, and ship mods are the easiest to do, yet you're now setting your sights on a full-blown TC? Even with FTL (cake, compared to something like Skyrim, Fallout, or Halflife), I don't think you understand the scale of the task you're proposing.
-28 unique ships + ??? enemy vessels
->Keep in mind, AE is adding Type C ships for all but the Crystal, and then there's the Lanius too
-Complete rewrite of hundreds of events
-Rework of weapons stats, effects, and sprite sheets
-New crew spritesheets
->And, given that AE introduces "stunning" effects, color variations, and other elements, we really don't know how the AE sprites will function
-Customized UI (optional I suppose, but no true TC would be without)
-Music (^see above)

Now keep in mind, I'm not pooh-pooh'ing the idea. If you think you can pull it off, by all means go for it. It's not like big projects are impossible, and there's some good and very notable examples around already. I'm just warning you that it's very easy to get in over your head with ideas, and a simple ship mod is only the barest tip of the iceberg.
G0ldunDrak0n

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes, I understand what you mean. But it's the point of a collaborative project : a TC is something I can't achieve alone without spending a big amount of time (that I don't have...). And I know there are other people who dream about making a TC but can't for the same reasons. This is the occasion to make together something we can't do alone (yeah, I know it sounds stupid but I really mean it :D).
Secondly, I won't try to make you believe that I perfectly know what I am doing, because I don't, but I do have an idea of the scale of that task.
In fact, I see it as a long-term project, I don't pretend I'll release it the day after advanced edition :). More, while I'm putting this project in place, I'm still studying the games mechanics and modding possibilities.
Anyways, thanks for your concern ;).
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 am

Kieve wrote:
English Narwhal wrote:So what you're saying is that we submit our mod parts now... when you want it advanced edition compatible?

To be fair, at least he's produced a functional mod before proposing a collaborative work.

However, G0ldunDrak0n, I do need to warn you... You've produced one mod, and ship mods are the easiest to do, yet you're now setting your sights on a full-blown TC? Even with FTL (cake, compared to something like Skyrim, Fallout, or Halflife), I don't think you understand the scale of the task you're proposing.
-28 unique ships + ??? enemy vessels
->Keep in mind, AE is adding Type C ships for all but the Crystal, and then there's the Lanius too
-Complete rewrite of hundreds of events
-Rework of weapons stats, effects, and sprite sheets
-New crew spritesheets
->And, given that AE introduces "stunning" effects, color variations, and other elements, we really don't know how the AE sprites will function
-Customized UI (optional I suppose, but no true TC would be without)
-Music (^see above)

Now keep in mind, I'm not pooh-pooh'ing the idea. If you think you can pull it off, by all means go for it. It's not like big projects are impossible, and there's some good and very notable examples around already. I'm just warning you that it's very easy to get in over your head with ideas, and a simple ship mod is only the barest tip of the iceberg.

I need a Kieve to take home with me and be my brain translator. He basically articulates what I say in a smarter way.
G0ldunDrak0n

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Update : main modding ideas !
Lynzkar

Postby Lynzkar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Slug : Slag Blobs
Lanius : Skag
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Lanius = Hyperion loaders
Slugs = Rats (Borderlands 2, humanoid)

Looks like a fun concept, but a lot of work.

Sidenote: Captain's edition has shown us that procedurally generated guns work, though for a borderlands version, it should probably be even more diverse, but have less bad modifiers(but more double-edged ones). IE: nothing with purely bad stat mods, but plenty with both positive and negative. IE: +1 fire chance, +1 crew damage -1 normal damage, or +1 ion damage -1 crew damage, etc.
G0ldunDrak0n

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks for your suggestions ! I think I'll keep Kaerius' ideas for the characters, because they seem more... logic to me.