[IDEA] Shield Projection "Weapon"

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
English Narwhal

Re: [IDEA] Shield Projection "Weapon"

Postby English Narwhal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Kieve wrote:
English Narwhal wrote:Not to be the idea sniper, but I'm pretty sure that you can't make a weapon that 'surrounds' a ship as a shield does. It's hard coded, I think, for weapons (other then beams and bombs) to shoot and hit/miss.

Following this theory, you could target your own ship with a "Shield Projector" bomb (or, bomb-type), which would generate a graphic much like a shield bubble. Bombs can take hits just like anything else, which means the fake shield would function the same way. You could then have Shield Projectors of varying size and power requirements, to protect critical systems from missiles or similar.

I may have to test this myself... ;)

Yay! I did something semi-useful!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:46 pm

So far no success. Enemy shots don't connect with the shield bubbles, neither the bomb ones, nor the projectile ones. Stuff I tried:
- setting all damage values of the laser type projectors to zero (no success, also crashes the game when targeting the weapon :D )
- setting the speed value of the laser type projectors to zero (no success, resets speed to default 90)
- adding ion damage to the projectiles of the laser type projectors (no success)
- removing <locked> tag from bomb type projectors (no success, what does this one again?)
- replacing the shield graphic with a non transparent green circle (no success, I guess transparency and colour is not relevant)

Also to the right: Attack of the offence Zoltan Shield

Well, I don't get it. Projectiles normally do connect with each other. Bombs can be destroyed if hit by weapon fire. Maybe only when fired on the enemy craft? Maybe projectiles only connect if they are below a certain size? What effects collision detection? Lasers are all 20x200 and bombs all 35xsomething. Maybe the collision point is calculated for that default... I hope we find a way to get this to work.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 pm

That's a shame. I wonder where the problem lies...
Starfire

Postby Starfire » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 pm

This is quite interesting. I could of sworn that projectiles use size to find their collision, maybe not though. we could test this by getting an enemy ship with a def drone and see where they target the Shield Projectile.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm fairly sure that missiles' collision radius is a preset, constant value, common to all projectiles -- it doesn't depend on the projectile's size.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL