cool idea for a ship

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
theprofessi0nal

cool idea for a ship

Postby theprofessi0nal » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 am

I think that the current FTl drone based ships are fairly lame and as such, I would love if their was a ship truly designed for drones only. My idea is for a modified Engi cruiser that would be unable to equip more than two weapons and start with none, but it would trade that for being able to equip 4 drones, or if possible 5 drones. It would start with 2 anti ship 1 drones and an anti personnel drone, only 1 crew member(obviously an Engi), the ability to put 14 points into your drones, but only 3 points into weapon so as not to be able to loop the ion laser level 2. the ship would come with 3 points of shields so level 2 shields are cheaper, engines level 3, 2 points in piloting in case you need the Engi to repair the drone control, 7 points in drone control, and a single point in everything else. I think the pilot should also be in the middle of the ship because that is the logical spot for robots to put it considering it is the most important room and would be most protected there.
These are just my ideas for a ship, but if somebody wanted to make it, that would be awesome.
TaxiService

Re: cool idea for a ship

Postby TaxiService » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Your idea sounds pretty cool! My concern is how the UI will be affected by the modified weapon/drone counts. I ran some quick tests and this happened. : \ (Open the image in a new window to see what happens on the right side of the picture. I gave the ship four drones, but two of them appear over the subsystems.)

I ran in the same issue while working on the Firestarter. ◡⁔◡ I just tried modifying the weapons background in hope that the game would calculate the drone control offset based on the width of the picture, but unsurprisingly it didn't work.

I will attempt to find a solution to this. It'd be pretty great if we could have only two weapons in a way that doesn't horribly ruin the UI, but i doubt it'll be easy. : \
ImageImageImageImageImage
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm

*coughs*
*Puts on Sunglasses*
It is possible to not mess up the UI with this; I used to know how.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:40 pm

English Narwhal wrote:*coughs*
*Puts on Sunglasses*

:shock:
Starfire

Postby Starfire » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Wait, i always thought that any ship with only 2 weps always messed up the UI cus you can't fit the autofire symbol with the weapon word with a length of only 2 weps!
theprofessi0nal

Postby theprofessi0nal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 pm

English Narwhal wrote:*coughs*
*Puts on Sunglasses*

Please share this technique with the world.
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:28 am

kartoFlane has a ship mod called Auto-Cruiser which edits the UI to fit in 4 drone slots at once. You could ask him.