[W.I.P.]The Federation Strikes Back- Rebirth

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
English Narwhal

[W.I.P.]The Federation Strikes Back- Rebirth

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 pm

NOW ACCEPTING BETA TESTERS! See Below!
V.02
By English Narwhal and Dalolorn
After Dalolorn retired this mod, I have taken up the the modding(though with help from Dalo still) responsibilities.

BETA TESTING!
Though very little of the mod is complete, I expect to have more than enough for testing in the next week. If you would like to beta test, please PM me on this forum with any details that might be relevant. If you are a Youtube Commentator, please mention that plus a link to your channel in the message.
If you aren't a Youtube Commentator, don't worry! It's still likely I'll accept you.

ORIGINAL TOPIC
FTL: FSB on Youtube

NOTE: Dalolorn's Stuff still exists, but I have stored it for now.
Last edited by English Narwhal on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:52 am, edited 17 times in total.
dalolorn

Re: The Federation Strikes Back- Rebirth

Postby dalolorn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Aims and Backstory
The Messenger, the Captain of the ship that brought down the Dominator Flagship, has assumed control of the Federation fleet. The Messenger's first command was to cleanse the Galaxy of the rebels, and tasked the FSS Harbinger to spearhead that effort.
The Harbinger Fleet, as it is known, now has control of most of the Federation, and intends to 'cleanse' the world of all that could possibly rebel against the Federation. You, the captain of a rebel ship, must flee from the Harbinger Fleet to warn the Messenger and the Council of the Harbinger's ultimate goal of galactic domination... for only the Messenger could possibly stand against the Harbinger.
(Image Pending!)

As of yet, I have not created much for this mod other than a few concepts. What I do have, I will post here. Presenting:
Commandeered Bomber

Rebels, in their haste, commandeered bombers from the Federation where they could. Hastily painting it with Rebel colors, they set out to flee from the Federation and the Dreaded Messenger that brought down the greatest of their Domniator-Class battleships: The Flagship.
Hopefully, they can bring down this 'Messenger'.

Interesting backstory. However, minor nitpick: I originally named the Dominator class after the only ship of the class that the Rebels managed to build (the Rebel Flagship we all love to destroy... :lol:) and said it was salvaged and rebuilt. The description for your bomber just calls it "Flagship". :P

That bomber graphic is pretty nice. It gave me an interesting idea... what if they also got their hands on a nearly-finished (excuse for the ship having no Vindicator beam) Osprey?
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Very nice.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm

dalolorn wrote:Interesting backstory. However, minor nitpick: I originally named the Dominator class after the only ship of the class that the Rebels managed to build (the Rebel Flagship we all love to destroy... :lol:) and said it was salvaged and rebuilt. The description for your bomber just calls it "Flagship". :P

That bomber graphic is pretty nice. It gave me an interesting idea... what if they also got their hands on a nearly-finished (excuse for the ship having no Vindicator beam) Osprey?

Though I agree with your original idea, the rebels were mostly disbanded, and the Harbinger Fleet is supposed to have flown through rapidly afterwards, so salvaging the Dominator would have been impossible.
That does, however, connect to one idea I had... that the Harbinger 'upgraded' itself with the original Flagship's.
To work what you have into it, I'm thinking that perhaps the Rebels, having conquered a large swath of the galaxy, would have access to the resources of those areas, and thus were in the process of creating another in case the first flagship was destroyed.
Also, a Rebel Osprey.. heheh... time to rewrite the backstory. I love it.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

English Narwhal wrote:
dalolorn wrote:Interesting backstory. However, minor nitpick: I originally named the Dominator class after the only ship of the class that the Rebels managed to build (the Rebel Flagship we all love to destroy... :lol:) and said it was salvaged and rebuilt. The description for your bomber just calls it "Flagship". :P

Though I agree with your original idea, the rebels were mostly disbanded, and the Harbinger Fleet is supposed to have flown through rapidly afterwards, so salvaging the Dominator would have been impossible.
That does, however, connect to one idea I had... that the Harbinger 'upgraded' itself with the original Flagship's.
To work what you have into it, I'm thinking that perhaps the Rebels, having conquered a large swath of the galaxy, would have access to the resources of those areas, and thus were in the process of creating another in case the first flagship was destroyed.

Well, my first thought was that the Federation winning the first game would be considerably dampened by the construction of a replacement for the flagship.

My second thought, however, was that the replacement might not have been complete enough to be the massive threat the original ship was - as is the case in the starting setup, which, while not even remotely indestructible, is still a threat to most contemporary warships. Furthermore, as the flagship can only be in so many places in a limited amount of time, they could conceivably need several of them to maintain order. That makes sense. :)

Having re-read the original backstory and the new one you have now, though, I suddenly feel that the Rebels and what's left of the Federation will listen to the words of those Zoltan diplomats that give the player the Adjudicator and Noether, in an effort to avoid their destruction... quite a nice way of restoring peace to the galaxy. :D
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:43 pm

dalolorn wrote:
English Narwhal wrote:

Well, my first thought was that the Federation winning the first game would be considerably dampened by the construction of a replacement for the flagship.

My second thought, however, was that the replacement might not have been complete enough to be the massive threat the original ship was - as is the case in the starting setup, which, while not even remotely indestructible, is still a threat to most contemporary warships. Furthermore, as the flagship can only be in so many places in a limited amount of time, they could conceivably need several of them to maintain order. That makes sense. :)

Having re-read the original backstory and the new one you have now, though, I suddenly feel that the Rebels and what's left of the Federation will listen to the words of those Zoltan diplomats that give the player the Adjudicator and Noether, in an effort to avoid their destruction... quite a nice way of restoring peace to the galaxy. :D

Yeah.. my plan was that when you reach the boss sector, the Rebel and Federation fleets had already met in battle, and the less (well, the rebels are racists) prejudiced rebels had allied with the Federation. The Messenger and the remainder of both fleets do their best to hold off the Harbinger's vanguard while you attempt to destroy the Harbinger.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

I'll make a couple of quick fixes to the Dominator and Red-Tail (the former needs its cloak implicitly installed, apparently, so something on its starting layout has to go, while the latter is going to switch its starting drones for a cloak for the same reason) and see if the Bomber gives me any ideas. Once done, I'll give you the link to the files.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 pm

dalolorn wrote:I'll make a couple of quick fixes to the Dominator and Red-Tail (the former needs its cloak implicitly installed, apparently, so something on its starting layout has to go, while the latter is going to switch its starting drones for a cloak for the same reason) and see if the Bomber gives me any ideas. Once done, I'll give you the link to the files.

Thanks. Could you, by chance, send me each of the ship files for your ships separately?
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:32 pm

English Narwhal wrote:
dalolorn wrote:I'll make a couple of quick fixes to the Dominator and Red-Tail (the former needs its cloak implicitly installed, apparently, so something on its starting layout has to go, while the latter is going to switch its starting drones for a cloak for the same reason) and see if the Bomber gives me any ideas. Once done, I'll give you the link to the files.

Thanks. Could you, by chance, send me each of the ship files for your ships separately?

You mean each ship blueprint? It'll take me a few minutes, but I can do that. If, of course, that's what you wanted.

Edit: Alternatively, if you meant the .shp files Superluminal uses, I should note that some (if not all) of those files are broken, and don't reflect the latest version of the layouts OR blueprints.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:05 pm

A GUI Mod has been created and added to the post.