Creating new races

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
CrashSanders

Re: Creating new races

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I'm just saying that, don't mean to sound rude, but I don't want Kestrel to spend 4 days to find a faulty named thread or looking in the wrong sections.

Well, that's not his problem clearly. The more so that his problem is pretty simple: he just need to learn how to unpack and repack .ftl archives and patch the game. Those are basics!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am

CrashSanders wrote:However, there is one hidden 'race' that used to drive auto-ships. Those 'ghosts' has no graphics and stats, if I remember correctly. It's because a ship in FTL cannot just fly by itself, it needs at least one crewmember alive to operate.

And this tells me just how little you know about how auto-ships (or ghosts, for that matter) work.

Auto-ships, both PC and NPC ones, are simply ships which have no set starting crew. They may or may not have life support (I know of at least one CE auto-ship with life support, and at least 1 playable auto-ship with it), their systems act as if they were manned by a fresh crewman (whether being manned by real crew with some prior experience makes a difference is unknown to me), they repair damage over time (though I believe they can't fix breaches) - noting that the repair is slower than or equal to that being done by a Mantis who has never fixed a thing in his life.

Side-effects: You cannot buy crew, and if events give people to you, the game will claim you need to dismiss someone. Not necessarily true.

Intended effects: You can jump to FTL at any time if the drive is charged, you can only lose the game by having your ship blow up, and you don't always need a repair crew to fix stuff up.

Ghosts, however, are cut content - they were created for several ghost-related events, have faded human graphics (whether they use separate sprite sheets is something I do not know), have 50 max life, and can only die to weapons (including your fists/claws) or fires.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:18 am

Breaches can not be repaired on Automated ships and can not put out fire (main reason is most likely they normally do not have O2, non in Vanilla).

And I thought what you said was false but I wasn't completely sure, It didn't make sense to me, if there 'invisible' crew, they how come you can not kill them while boarding? how come fires or lasers or beams or bombs kill them? etc, but I am known for making mistakes so I didn't ask about it.

Ghosts are cut content as said above, and it is possible, but not confirmed that Slugs were originally meant to be flying intelligent Space Jellyfish. (Space Jellyfish, High Altitude cryptid Jellyfish, etc commonly associated with telekinesis, 1 reason why slugs may have it even though it doesn't make much sense and some other things)

or BP and SP values in game, or the Kestral with air lock warning stripes, Ion and Missile drones, etc.

etc. there was supposed to be a "PLAYER_SHIP_EASY" to go along with the "PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" (Kestral) but didn't make it.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
The Kestrel

Postby The Kestrel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I know I must search through the threads but I can't find the right page and info. And I really want to learn those basics but I can't when I don't know where the instructions stand. :?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:04 pm

^ Boom, just like me and my Drone problem.
Told you.

Personally I can't find anything on it either through google or forum search, BUT I do know the mods Mass Effect and Captains edition both have reskins and even a rename of the Ghost (Ai Avatar)

the CE one is at a early rough stage atm and I do not even know how to install it even after reading the ReadMe and the Mass Effect one is a WiP in general and it only has 1 or 2 changed races I think (don't hate me if I am wrong)

besides that I'm sorry I do not know what else to say. :( I am as new as you are in a lot of areas, I do not know how to make my own augments or quests or what have you.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
The Kestrel

Postby The Kestrel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 pm

I understand! :D By the way, it's not a really big problem that I can't put my brown Rocks in the game. The grey ones are cool too! ;)
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm

You can in fact put your brown Rocks in. You just can't have brown and grey belonging to the same faction. (in other words, you can have brown enemy and grey player or vice versa, but you cannot have brown and grey player Rocks at the same time)

I'd download the CE crew reskin thingy - its content explains this whole thing a lot better than I can.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Is it literally impossible to have them the same 'faction'?

You can't make it the same way they did for male and female humans?

And agreed, if you understand moddy file/folder locationy language download CE crew thing and read the readme.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:You can't make it the same way they did for male and female humans?

That distinction is one more thing that is hardcoded...
The Kestrel

Postby The Kestrel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:18 am

dalolorn wrote:You can in fact put your brown Rocks in. You just can't have brown and grey belonging to the same faction. (in other words, you can have brown enemy and grey player or vice versa, but you cannot have brown and grey player Rocks at the same time)

I'd download the CE crew reskin thingy - its content explains this whole thing a lot better than I can.

Oh okay, thanks! :D