Creating new races

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
The Kestrel

Creating new races

Postby The Kestrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:42 am

I have a question: how can you make your own races? Or is that impossible? :D Thanks in advance! :)
R4V3-0N

Re: Creating new races

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am

You can rename a race.
You can change the picture of a race.

You can not make new stats, You can not make new races.

Impossible, Sorry.
But there is a race cut from game you if you don't know, Ghost.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 am

I'll specify: most of the game's features, such as max ship number in the hangar, max number of races, their traits and stats, also sector schemes, max number of sectors and sector connections are hardcoded and therefore could not be modified in anyway.

However, there is one hidden 'race' that used to drive auto-ships. Those 'ghosts' has no graphics and stats, if I remember correctly. It's because a ship in FTL cannot just fly by itself, it needs at least one crewmember alive to operate.

Sleeper Service, author of Captain's Edition, managed to make those 'ghosts' a real thing and named them AI avatars that player can buy or rescue from slavers or whatever.

Also all systems are hardcoded, and you cannot add a new one.
The Kestrel

Postby The Kestrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:59 am

Okay, thanks! :D
Is it possible to change the color of a FTL-race (a Rock, Zoltan etc.)? And if it is, how can you do that? :)
Last edited by The Kestrel on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:00 am

I thought I've seen the race "Ghosts" in mods way before Captains edition, especially the augment to create AI Personal.

I remember a few mods with ships on them before.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 am

R4V3-0N wrote:I thought I've seen the race "Ghosts" in mods way before Captains edition, especially the augment to create AI Personal.

Soz, I've encountered them first in CE. D: My bad.

The Kestrel wrote:Okay, thanks! :D
Is it possible to change the color of a FTL-race (a Rock, Zoltan etc.)? And if it is, how can you do that? :)

You need to get your hands on game resources, find race sprites and simply recolor them as you please. Of course, the unpacking process is not that simple. Visin Mod Development subforum for more details.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:13 am

oh my... it takes A LOT of pictures to make a recolour I think...

eg of red mantis.

Also if you do not have photoshop or any other high end program like that (not even gimp will work as effectively) then you will need a lot of time recolouring...

Edit: Oh and just so you know, you can't change the image for the system repair drone, AP drone, or Boarding drone.
You can change there stats though... well what limited stats, eg reactor power, speed (I think).
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
The Kestrel

Postby The Kestrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks! :D I have changed the colour of my Rocks but I don't know how to put them into the game. What can I do? :cry:
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:35 pm

As I said before, read the threads in Mod Development, and you will find all the info you need.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:51 pm

You do know how helpful that can be Crash?

When I asked my question on how to mod drones (because I can't find info of it anywhere literally) they said "go to the tutorial in the mod development" and other stuff like that, go to go to go to.

Do you know what happened? The only drone 'how to' thread is on how to make drone images and recommended programs. Which I clearly did already.
And a thread that doesn't exist.

I'm just saying that, don't mean to sound rude, but I don't want Kestrel to spend 4 days to find a faulty named thread or looking in the wrong sections.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.