Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I suppose it is more complicated than I gave it credit for, but it still seems easy to me. You seem to understand most of it, but I'll try to clarify stuff.

R4V3-0N wrote:event name is well, is the event. no idea what "unique=true" would mean though... sector specific?

The "unique=true" in the event means that it can only appear once per sector. If you try to force it to appear an extra time in a sector, the game will crash.

I forgot all about actually adding an event to the game. That is mostly controlled with the sector_data.xml file, but I won't bother with that right now.

The ship I posted there doesn't show all of the things that can be done. It may have been a bad choice for me to post that ship. It doesn't have a surrender tag. The escape tag and surrender tag can both have a chance attribute, so that the ship doesn't have to try and escape or surrender.

R4V3-0N wrote:Escape time I assume is it starting already to ftl jump?... not sure what the numbers exactly mean or what it's out of.
text that's after that is the text that occurs if it jumps away?

Timer is how many seconds they have to charge their FTL engines to get away. The min and max refer to the hull health of their ship, for determining when they try to escape. This mantis ship will try to run when their hull reaches 5 or less. They only have to charge their engines for 5 seconds to get away.
The text that is after that is when they start to try to run, not if they get away. The <gotaway> section is when they actually jump.

R4V3-0N wrote:not sure what choice hidden means....

A choice that has hidden="true" will hide the rewards that a choice could give, so a player won't know what resources the outcome of that choice will give. In this particular event, the hidden part is pointless, since there is no reward. I don't think that the quest would show up on a choice.

----

I don't know why I try to help. I'm not good at communicating, especially when things are so complex with their many parts and possibilities.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:24 pm

RAD-82 wrote:...
I don't know why I try to help. I'm not good at communicating, especially when things are so complex with their many parts and possibilities.

Well you did a billion times more effort in helping me then anyone else on the forum. I asked a friend doing a similar project and he realized he doesn't even know where the events are stored, let alone look like.

I figured the above doesn't do all the things possible.

ie: it doesn't lead to a 'quest' marker or anything.

Maybe after some more information I receive works I should test out my abilities and try to modify a quest then link it to you and tell me if it works or not/ if I already attempted it and failed at it you could help me iron out the kinks.

or maybe one day we work together on an event and you tell me if I did something wrong or right and why. You could help me in areas I am dumb funded and stuff. Perhaps starting on something basic would work.

But this could wait till later on. Right now I am doing player ships then I will move to enemy ships a bit
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 am

One of my ships is having issues functioning. It crashes the game every time I load it up after I hit new game or anything and in superluminal when I load it up there it says it can't load the ship because [insert weapon blueprint here] doesn't exist, even if it's a vanilla weapon. After I edit the .ftl file to have no weapons or anything other crashes occur but this time with the editor itself.

Anyone know the problem? https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnxkc05n1pno2 ... 4.ftl?dl=0

(the current file I have.)

Edit: Also when I originally saved it via superluminal it had some images missing and such, 'corrupted' or 'damaged.

Also I checked through with slipstream mod manager if it has any problems and it says it is 100% fine.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 pm

It loaded fine for me in Superluminal 2.0.1d... The only problem is that 'room_battery_2.png' and 'room_drones_15.png' images are corrupt/broken/incorrect format for some reason, and the editor can't display them. IIRC those are vanilla images, so you can just delete them from your mod's img/ship/interior folder and all will be well.

However I've had no error about missing blueprints -- though generally that could be because the editor only saves the ship's blueprint, but not the weapons' or drones' -- so if you have any custom ones, you have to put them in the mod yourself.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 pm

kartoFlane wrote:It loaded fine for me in Superluminal 2.0.1d... The only problem is that 'room_battery_2.png' and 'room_drones_15.png' images are corrupt/broken/incorrect format for some reason, and the editor can't display them. IIRC those are vanilla images, so you can just delete them from your mod's img/ship/interior folder and all will be well.

However I've had no error about missing blueprints -- though generally that could be because the editor only saves the ship's blueprint, but not the weapons' or drones' -- so if you have any custom ones, you have to put them in the mod yourself.

Alright. Aware of the 2nd part. (however I thought it still would load the ship and say that "these weapons would require another mod to run it" or something like that and let me still play around with the editor and ships")
it seemed like the editor I had was a bit broken and I needed to reinstall it and clean up a bit.

Going to continue working out why the ship is not behaving. Also it seems like I keep bumping into new limitations with AE that I am not aware off. Like I can't make a shield less ship that uses an shield/ defense drones without odd results.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Accatitippi

Postby Accatitippi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello,
I'm a new user in this forum and I'd like to know how feasible is a ship design I've thought of, consisting in a ship with some (but not all) rooms with no oxigen. I'm not familiar with exactly how ftl code works, so I'd like to know if my idea is feasible before investing any time in building it :)
So: can I edit the open/closed door layout of a ship? There was no obvious way to do so in Superluminal, so I suppose not. In my idea, making the doors subsystem unavailable to buy would then block some rooms in an airless state.
Otherwise, I've thought of two possible ways:
- make doors unavailable, then use the unique first beacon event to force the opening of some of them. Can I open doors as a result of an event?
- somehow make some rooms breached and make repairing them impossible, while repairing the systems inside the room would have to be possible. I've no idea about how to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 am

Accatitippi wrote:Hello,
I'm a new user in this forum and I'd like to know how feasible is a ship design I've thought of, consisting in a ship with some (but not all) rooms with no oxigen. I'm not familiar with exactly how ftl code works, so I'd like to know if my idea is feasible before investing any time in building it :)
So: can I edit the open/closed door layout of a ship? There was no obvious way to do so in Superluminal, so I suppose not. In my idea, making the doors subsystem unavailable to buy would then block some rooms in an airless state.
Otherwise, I've thought of two possible ways:
- make doors unavailable, then use the unique first beacon event to force the opening of some of them. Can I open doors as a result of an event?
- somehow make some rooms breached and make repairing them impossible, while repairing the systems inside the room would have to be possible. I've no idea about how to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Due to hard coding limiations...

1) You can't repair a system if it's on fire on breach. those issues must be gotten out of the way first.
2) you can't open doors as part of the event and also thus you can't force it open all the time.

The best way to do what you want is to have no 02 room to start with =l besides that you can 'mimic' this by having a med bay... but that'll be the only room that has 'oxygen' (level 1 heals at same rate as choke damage)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:29 am

Moved from a different topic:
R4V3-0N wrote:How exactly do you mod to make it allowed to have more systems then normal? (If I remember right, weapons, shields, engines, clone bay, med bay are the only things able to do the change)

Thinking off possibly making one of my ships start with the clone bay level 4 while being hindered in other ways for the start. Also make it optional to buy it.

I tried to do what I think it could be done and it didn't do anything.

It took me some time to realize you were asking about system power.

System blueprints have a <maxPower> tag.

Code: Select all

<systemBlueprint name="clonebay">
   <type>clonebay</type>
   <title>Clone Bay</title>
   <desc>Automatically clones dead crew with skill penalty. Taking advantage of micro-cloning, crew heals partially every jump. Jump heal is passive and requires no power.</desc>
   <startPower>1</startPower>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>1</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
      <level>35</level> <!-- level 2 -->
      <level>45</level> <!-- level 3 -->
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>50</cost>
</systemBlueprint>

If you increase the maxPower, then you also need to add some <level> tags in the <upgradeCost> section.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:30 am

IndustrialRobot wrote:This is probably a dumb question to ask, and many of you know how to do this, but I don't know how to add pictures to a post, or new topic. Ive tried dragging the picture to the text box, and using the 'Img' button. I get (img)(/img), however I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe insert a file path on the computer?

If you could help me, I'd be really happy. I'm making a ship mod, which I think is a bit unique. :)

If you are modding and not aware what to do with " (img)(/img)" then you may be in trouble. :roll:

What it is. is basically telling (this, other sites may be different) the website "hey, this is a picture and it's here! show it to people!". So you need to put a URL off the image between img things.

a url may look something like this: http://i.imgur.com/W5NpzJa.png

you put that between the img's and then you get this

Upload your images via imgur if you do not know where else to upload them. it's free and doesn't require an
account.

I try to be very basic here as I got no idea about your level of understanding.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:46 pm

random question.

When you have multiple artillery. how does the UI look?

Also which one is the one you can control how much power? the first or the last 'artillery'?
Also if the artillery fires like a burst laser or something. Does it auto target like a normal artillery on possibly different rooms or does it all go to 1 room?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.