Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
nono333

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby nono333 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:49 pm

There is a weapons/drones creator app ?
Techno_Zed

Postby Techno_Zed » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:33 am

warning i have never used a forum of any kind ever,so excuse my impatience when it comes to "the forum itself"...

i was wondering if someone could post an example of multiple outcomes for an event?
like,
you find a box, and you have a 50% chance it contains scrap, and a 50% chance it contains fuel.
(i'm still a little new to the coding of ftl by i catch on really quickly)

so far my best attempt at finding this pattern is:

Code: Select all

<eventList name="gain">
   <event load="box_free"/>
</eventList>

<event name="box_free">
   <event>
      <text>you found a box of scrap</text>
      <autoReward level="MED">scrap_only</autoReward>
   </event>

<event>
      <text>you found a box of fuel</text>
      <autoReward level="HIGH">fuel</autoReward>
   </event>
</event>

i am almost certain that is not going to work...
please fix it and tell me why it was wrong.(if you could)
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:20 am

Techno_Zed wrote:i am almost certain that is not going to work...
please fix it and tell me why it was wrong.(if you could)

For this stuff it's best to just browse the game files for a similar example, like:

<event name="LANIUS_GROUP_AUTO" unique="true">
   <text>blablablabla</text>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Try to use them to delay the Rebels.</text>
      <event load="LANIUS_GROUP_AUTO_LIST"/>
   </choice>
   [....]
</event>

<eventList name="LANIUS_GROUP_AUTO_LIST">
   <event>
      <text>blablabla</text>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>blabla</text>
      <ship load="LANIUS_SHIP" hostile="true"/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>bla</text>
      <autoReward level="MED">standard</autoReward>
      <modifyPursuit amount="-1"/>
   </event>
</eventList>

The idea is that you don't put event tags inside other event tags, only put them in choice or eventList. But don't put multiple ones in choice, only the first one actually works.

@edit
Oh, and the first event is just to show how to call it. You should only use 'unique' if that's what you want to do, such events tend to outright refuse to load in some circumstances, as they are only allowed to load once per sector, I think. So if you try to force them, game can't limit them, crashes or hangs or whatever.
Techno_Zed

Postby Techno_Zed » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:37 am

thanks meklozz, i had no idea you could load an event list with an event list :D

[edit]
so would this work ?

<eventList name="gain">
   <event load="box2"/>
   <event load="gas_bugs"/>
   <event load="box"/>
</eventList>

<eventList name="box">
   <event>
      <text>you came across a box of scrap</text>
      <autoReward level="LOW">scrap_only</autoReward>
   </event>

<event>
      <text>you came across a box of fuel</text>
      <autoReward level="MED">fuel</autoReward>
   </event>
</event>

<eventList name="box2">
   <event>
      <text>you found a big box of scrap</text>
      <autoReward level="MED">scrap_only</autoReward>
   </event>

<event>
      <text>you found a big box of fuel</text>
      <autoReward level="HIGH">fuel</autoReward>
   </event>
</event>

Manters

Postby Manters » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Not sure if this is somewhere else on the forum or has been brought up in this topic, but does anyone have a list of the "Event" names of enemy ships (The names used in the scripts when coding events) with the actual ship that it spawns listed beside it?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Techno_Zed wrote:so would this work ?

Looks like it should. But why wouldn't you just put those events right in the event list? Also, your closing tags aren't matching, though I'm not sure if that's enough of an error to become a problem.

Manters wrote:Not sure if this is somewhere else on the forum or has been brought up in this topic, but does anyone have a list of the "Event" names of enemy ships (The names used in the scripts when coding events) with the actual ship that it spawns listed beside it?

Do you mean the 'ship load="?"' stuff or something deeper than that? It goes to a blueprint (<ship name="?">) with surrenders, escapes etc. from there, only then to auto_blueprint of the list of names of actual ships (<shipBlueprint name="?">).
You could probably get the 'load' stuff with some creative use of search, but anything more would likely require something that can analyze xmls...
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm

Manters wrote:Not sure if this is somewhere else on the forum or has been brought up in this topic, but does anyone have a list of the "Event" names of enemy ships (The names used in the scripts when coding events) with the actual ship that it spawns listed beside it?
Ships are spawned by calling separate ship events which in return randomly select a ship from a list they contain. The ship events are stored in events_ships.xml, the ship lists are found in autoBlueprints.xml.

So technically events almost never spawn a certain ship, they typically spawn a random ships from a list that usually contains all the ships of a faction. The individual ship blueprints also affect which ship can be spawned. Some ships can only be drawn after a certain sector level has been reached by the player.
Dikdraak

Postby Dikdraak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:40 pm

I've been making nice progress on a relatively small mod using all the info provided on here. However, I have ran into an issue I have been unable to handle myself, so I've decided to register and ask it in this topic.

For a certain mechanic, I need to have a variable whose value can be subtracted or added to by choices made in an event. This value should also influence the frequency of certain events and the availability of certain choices. I have absolutely no idea how I should do this within FTL or if it is possible to begin with. Could anyone help me?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Dikdraak wrote:For a certain mechanic, I need to have a variable whose value can be subtracted or added to by choices made in an event. This value should also influence the frequency of certain events and the availability of certain choices. I have absolutely no idea how I should do this within FTL or if it is possible to begin with. Could anyone help me?
Nope, that's not possible. FTL's event mechanics are pretty limited.
Dikdraak

Postby Dikdraak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Dikdraak wrote:For a certain mechanic, I need to have a variable whose value can be subtracted or added to by choices made in an event. This value should also influence the frequency of certain events and the availability of certain choices. I have absolutely no idea how I should do this within FTL or if it is possible to begin with. Could anyone help me?
Nope, that's not possible. FTL's event mechanics are pretty limited.

I see. Is there any hope of a framework or engine rewrite being released that could expand the game's modability? After Overdrive was abandoned last week, I don't think there is.