Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Arfy

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby Arfy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 pm

RAD-82 wrote:
1. Can the base damage of a weapon be a non-integer?
I know damage boosts on chain weapons can be non-integer.
I'm looking to make a weapon with 2.5 damage and boost it .1 damage for 15 shots. (Or maybe 2.4 damage, boosting .2 damage 8 times.)

2. How many artillery systems (or weapon mounts) can be put on a ship?
The Rebel flagship uses 4 (8), but I'm looking to use 5 (9) on my ship.

3. When using multiple artillery systems, which one gets upgraded: the first one or the last one in the shipBlueprint?
Is this the same system that doesn't require Zoltans for you to manipulate the power on it?
I should probably look at the Radithor code for research, but I don't feel like downloading it right now.

1. I am really not sure, did some testing with a weapon with 1.5 damage and increases by 0.5, where only the final chain-charge would do 2 damage.

2. I am not sure about the weapon slots, but at most that I've seen is 7 total weapon slots and that should apply to artillery systems.

3. To quote,
Narnkar wrote: -neither Artillery weapon receives the benefits of additional upgrades. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR ARTILLERY SYSTEM. DON'T DO IT. DON'T. IT'S BAD. STOP.

Overall, I am really unsure about answering these questions, so just take my answers with a grain of salt.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Arfy wrote:
RAD-82 wrote:1. Can the base damage of a weapon be a non-integer?
I know damage boosts on chain weapons can be non-integer.
I'm looking to make a weapon with 2.5 damage and boost it .1 damage for 15 shots. (Or maybe 2.4 damage, boosting .2 damage 8 times.)
1. I am really not sure, did some testing with a weapon with 1.5 damage and increases by 0.5, where only the final chain-charge would do 2 damage.

I reached the same conclusion; the starting damage always rounds down, so for example

had a weapon start at 1.5 damage, boosted 0.5 damage 3 times, wanted a max of 3 damage at strike 4. however, it never reached 3 damage, states that the chain damage cap is 2.5.

had a weapon start at 1.4 damage, boosted 0.2 damage 8 times, wanted a max of 3 damage at strike 9. it reached 2 damage on strike 6 instead of strike 4, stated that the chain damage cap was 2.6 (1 + 8*0.2 = 2.6)

so it doesn't work :( . I did also however find that when I tried starting the weapon at 0.5 damage, that rounded down, so then the next strikes didn't increase the damage by anything and therefore did absolutely nothing. do note however that setting a 0 damage weapon with damage boost can be useful, because the damage boost applies to other damage types like ion, sysDamage, and persDamage. 8-)
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Sorry for my late reply. WiFi issues... :evil:

First, I'll provide a link to a ship that I can't test (download link removed, jump to another post instead), with an Imgur link of what the ship should look like. Because of all the artillery systems, another mod needs to be used to acquire other systems.

mr_easy_money wrote:had a weapon start at 1.5 damage, boosted 0.5 damage 3 times, wanted a max of 3 damage at strike 4. however, it never reached 3 damage, states that the chain damage cap is 2.5.

Disappointing, but now I'm curious about that damage cap of 2.5. Would adding hullBust to the weapon have it do 4 or 5 damage? Do crew take 30 or ~37 damage?

As for artillery, the test ship I've provided currently has 5, but based on the results of the next test that I'm going to ask about, I may add a 6th. I've looked at the Radithor files and looked at a video, and it seems that the first artillery system is controllable from the UI, but it is the last artillery that is shown in the hanger. As for the upgrade screen, I'm going to assume that is also the last artillery system, based on Narnkar's statement. Here is a modified blueprint for the FedC, with a 2nd artillery system stacked on the 1st one. Someone needs to try and upgrade the artillery and see what happens, then stick two zoltans into the artillery room and see if one weapon will fire at 40 seconds while the other fires at 50 seconds.

Code: Select all

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_FED_3" layout="fed_cruiser_3" img="fed_cruiser_3">
   <class>Federation Cruiser</class>
   <name>The Fregatidae</name>
   <unlock>Get to Sector 8 with the Federation Cruiser Type B and Advanced Mode enabled to unlock this ship.</unlock>
   <desc>With a Flak Artillery weapon and an improved Clonebay, only the most suicidal of infantry chooses to fly on this ship.</desc>
   <systemList>
      <pilot power="1" room="6" start="true"/>
      <doors power="1" room="13" start="true" img="room_doors">
         <slot>
            <direction>up</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </doors>
      <sensors power="1" room="10" start="true">
         <slot>
            <direction>down</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </sensors>
      <oxygen power="1" room="12" start="true" img="room_oxygen_2"/>
      <engines power="2" room="5" start="true" img="room_engines_8">
         <slot>
            <direction>left</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </engines>
      <shields power="2" room="15" start="true"/>
      <weapons power="1" room="11" start="true" img="room_weapons">
         <slot>
            <direction>up</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </weapons>
      <drones power="2" room="17" start="false" img="room_drones_3"/>
      <medbay power="1" room="1" start="false"/>
      <clonebay power="2" room="1" start="true"/>
      <teleporter power="1" room="8" start="true"/>
      <artillery power="1" room="9" weapon="ARTILLERY_FED_C"/>
      <artillery power="1" room="9" weapon="ARTILLERY_FED_C"/>
      <cloaking power="1" room="4" start="false" img="room_cloaking_3"/>
      <battery power="1" room="7" start="false" img="room_battery_16"/>
      <mind power="1" room="16" start="false" img="room_mind_3"/>
      <hacking power="1" room="2" start="false" img="room_hacking_9"/>
   </systemList>
   <weaponSlots>4</weaponSlots>
   <droneSlots>2</droneSlots>
   <weaponList count="0" missiles="5">
   </weaponList>
   <droneList drones="0"/>
   <health amount="30"/>
   <maxPower amount ="7"/>
   <crewCount amount = "1" class="human"/>
   <crewCount amount = "2" class="energy"/>
   <crewCount amount = "1" class="mantis"/>
   <aug name="O2_MASKS"/>
   <shieldImage>fed_cruiser</shieldImage>
   <cloakImage>fed_cruiser</cloakImage>
   <floorImage>fed_cruiser</floorImage>
</shipBlueprint>
Last edited by RAD-82 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Your ship has 5 artilleries, here's screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/FC9yq

Doesn't seem possible to hullbust an odd number, went straight from 4 to 6, never managed 7: https://imgur.com/a/FqMic

I modified the fed C code a bit for clarity, but yes, it shows the last artillery, it upgrades the last artillery, and it can use more power from zoltans while keeping the first one at base (first no zoltans results in only flak, then one zoltan both shoot together, last you get beam every 20s but flak after 50s): https://imgur.com/a/TOG4n I tried event-upgrading it, did the same as upgrading through the screen, last one.

By the way, Grognak's python based manager still works, if you can get that instead of java.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 am

Thanks for the help. It looks like I can't give the different artillery rooms different images.

Have I seen someone mention how to place an image in a non-system room, or am I just imagining it? I'm not talking about a large image from another room, but code similar to a system that goes in the systemList. I'll try searching around for a bit to see if I can find it.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 am

RAD-82 wrote:Thanks for the help. It looks like I can't give the different artillery rooms different images.

Have I seen someone mention how to place an image in a non-system room, or am I just imagining it? I'm not talking about a large image from another room, but code similar to a system that goes in the systemList. I'll try searching around for a bit to see if I can find it.

I think there was something but can't find it anywhere.

Adding this bbefore any other systems in systelist (if it's not first it crashes sometimes):

<room room="13" img="room_artillery_chm1"/>

Gives a sort of similar result, except it assumes there should be an /img/icons/s_whoknowswhat_overlay.png and smacks a big black box in the middle (I tried s_room_overlay). But maybe it reminds you of who figured it out or where or something.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 am

meklozz wrote:
RAD-82 wrote:Have I seen someone mention how to place an image in a non-system room, or am I just imagining it? I'm not talking about a large image from another room, but code similar to a system that goes in the systemList. I'll try searching around for a bit to see if I can find it.

Adding this before any other systems in systemList (if it's not first it crashes sometimes):

Gives a sort of similar result, except it assumes there should be an /img/icons/s_whoknowswhat_overlay.png and smacks a big black box in the middle (I tried s_room_overlay). But maybe it reminds you of who figured it out or where or something.

well I found this post (resorted to google's website search, forum search ignores crucial words), viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24901&start=580#p105514, that seems to follow that form, no mention of that image, but has the attribute start="true".
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
meklozz wrote:
RAD-82 wrote:Have I seen someone mention how to place an image in a non-system room, or am I just imagining it? I'm not talking about a large image from another room, but code similar to a system that goes in the systemList. I'll try searching around for a bit to see if I can find it.

Adding this before any other systems in systemList (if it's not first it crashes sometimes):

well I found this post (resorted to google's website search, forum search ignores crucial words), https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 80#p105514, that seems to follow that form, no mention of that image, but has the attribute start="true".

Yeah tried it with start true at some point, doesn't change anything, here is how it looks for me (graphic passing over the lower room is no issue that's just because it was copied, but the box won't go away): https://imgur.com/a/qITC0

Also it seems like only one 'room' is available unfortunately, adding this system only works once.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 am

meklozz wrote:Yeah tried it with start true at some point, doesn't change anything, here is how it looks for me (graphic passing over the lower room is no issue that's just because it was copied, but the box won't go away): https://imgur.com/a/qITC0

ah okay that black box is like as if there was a system there, so you need that image you described to clear it up.
meklozz wrote:Also it seems like only one 'room' is available unfortunately, adding this system only works once.

at the very least this lets you place the fake system in the leftmost and topmost room, allowing you to add room images in all rooms by expanding the size of the image and add stuff to go in other rooms (the 'large image from another room' thing RAD-82 mentioned).

without the fake system you'd only be able to do that with the leftmost and topmost system, so you wouldn't be able to add anything to rooms above and/or to the left of it.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am

meklozz wrote:Also it seems like only one 'room' is available unfortunately, adding this system only works once.

It seems that 'room' is just a name for a dummy system, so I made three dummy systems: roomleft, roommid, roomright.

I've updated the test file. (link removed, ship is now released, jump to ship post.) I added a 6th artillery (2nd beam to receive artillery upgrades) to the beam room. I adjusted the size of two weapon rooms so the new artillery can fit four Zoltans. I hope these dummy systems don't cause any problems, since crashes were mentioned before. I placed them before the artillery, but it looks like you said it should go before any systems, which would mean first, unless you just meant any systems it would share the room with. I can't exactly do that with three systems needing that first slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if this fails and I have to try again.
Last edited by RAD-82 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.