[MOD][WIP]Ship Greeble Graphics Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
aaaaaa50

Re: Ship Graphics

Postby aaaaaa50 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:18 pm

This is similar to The Breeze Cleaver's special 'tasty greebles'. Just a little inspiration if you plan to continue with this.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
LordTrilobite

Postby LordTrilobite » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't really get why people are so focused on the actual floors when I'm not even trying to edit that, since it's impossible anyway.
I'm only editing the grey outline of the floor plan, which can be edited very easily.

aaaaaa50 wrote:This is similar to The Breeze Cleaver's special 'tasty greebles'. Just a little inspiration if you plan to continue with this.

By the looks of that mod, yes. That is exactly what I'm doing, except I'm making such cutaways views for the default ships. That could definitely give me some inspiration. Thanks!

And since there does seem to be some interest in this. I'll probably make more of the ships. Though there's one problem, Steam Cloud screwed up my saves a while back, and I lost all my progress, so I have to unlock all the ships again. And I kinda have to unlock them to properly test the new graphics. So I'll probably make more ships as I go along and unlock more of the ships. I think I'll do the Nesasio next.
Image - Image
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 pm

LordTrilobite wrote:I don't really get why people are so focused on the actual floors when I'm not even trying to edit that, since it's impossible anyway.

It's the grey grid pattern in the middle. We're entranced by it, like moths to flame. I quite literally didn't notice you were talking about extending the floor image OUTSIDE the normal border and into the ship because I was so focused on how weird that grid looked.

I honestly think that if you'd drawn in the room borders I'd have seen the actual purpose of your graphic INSTANTLY. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
LordTrilobite

Postby LordTrilobite » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm working on the Nesasio now. and I gotta say, it's a complete bastard. So many edges extend beyond the actual shape of the ship, it's really annoying. So I can't really make a 1 on 1 accurate cutaway. But I'll do my best to make it look cool.

For those who already want to use the Kestral edge graphics, I'm attaching the file to this post so people can use it ingame. Just replace it with the existing kestral_floor.png in the resource.dat
Once I've made more I'll pack them all in the resource.dat and upload it, but for now this'll have to do.
Though, I might still improve the Kestral image later.
Image - Image
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I really like the idea -- I also saw the similarity to the Breeze Cleaver, but I've never thought of doing that to the vanilla ships.

It sucks that you've lost your profile -- but that can be remedied... You might be interested in the Profile Editor - you can use it to edit profile and unlock ships/achievements, among other things.

Also, it might be worth it to put your modded floors in the form of an .ftl file, since it's much easier to install mods that way - if you don't know how, I wrote a short explanation here, hopefully it'll be useful.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 am

kartoFlane wrote:Also, it might be worth it to put your modded floors in the form of an .ftl file, since it's much easier to install mods that way - if you don't know how, I wrote a short explanation here, hopefully it'll be useful.

I could totally see "BetterFloors.ftl" being a must-install right along with better backgrounds :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
LordTrilobite

Postby LordTrilobite » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:54 pm

I might look into that .ftl thing when it's worth while to pack it all together. But for now I'll just add them manually.

Anyway, I finished the Nesasio. I think it looks a lot better like this. Now to test it ingame. Here's a preview. I made the cutaway a lot darker on this one because the whole ship is really dark as well, it didn't look right with the greebles being too light.
Image - Image
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Mmmmmmm..... Tasty greebles!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Oh well, is this still in development at all? :(
Axel6430

Postby Axel6430 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Oh well, is this still in development at all? :(

He probably had to take a break because of work/family/school or other commitments. That's my current status too for the moment (too much work, I've got competitive exams in April and July).
The mod looks great so far! Definitely an improvement over the standard floorplan. I thought about doing that to vanilla ships too after seeing the cover of the FTL soundtrack, but I focused on modding in new ships instead.