[Tutorial] New Guide on creating weapons

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: [Tutorial] New Guide on creating weapons

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 pm

dalolorn wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:...snip
I have not tested lingering bombs on your ship as it jumps away, but i assume they are remembered just like intruders would be. It would explode once the fuse ran out.

On the other hand, all other weapons automatically fail to damage if you jump out, regardless of whether they'd have hit anything or not.

Not completely true. Solar Flares and Beam type weapons will hit and damage you even as you jump out.

Other weapons automatically miss the ship. A bomb projectile inside one of your rooms has already hit, so it cannot miss or be ignored.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
dalolorn wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:...snip
I have not tested lingering bombs on your ship as it jumps away, but i assume they are remembered just like intruders would be. It would explode once the fuse ran out.

On the other hand, all other weapons automatically fail to damage if you jump out, regardless of whether they'd have hit anything or not.

Not completely true. Solar Flares and Beam type weapons will hit and damage you even as you jump out.

Other weapons automatically miss the ship. A bomb projectile inside one of your rooms has already hit, so it cannot miss or be ignored.

As a matter of fact, I've dodged plenty of solar flares. :P
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:25 pm

dalolorn wrote:As a matter of fact, I've dodged plenty of solar flares. :P

The possibility to do that was just added with last patch as far as I remember.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Ah, that would explain it. I remember getting licked by flames as my ship was FTLing away. So unfair. :cry: and of course when you jump out of the frying pan, you end up in more solar flares. :roll:

Thanks for correcting me, i did not actually know this was changed. :D
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:14 pm

I had a sticky thread... once
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:46 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:
UltraMantis wrote: The speed of the projectile also governs how quickly the bomb detonates.

Are you sure about that? I just tried <speed>10</speed> and <speed>150</speed> and didn't notice any difference. How high/low does this have to be set to be noticeable? Are 5 seconds fuse bombs possible?

I goofed, it's the <time> tag of the projectile in the animations.xml. I remember vaguely setting it to 30 and getting bombs that would fail to detonate before the next one hit. Kinda pointless but if you made a fancy black hole animation to match an equally devastating damage output, it could be fun.

EDIT - I just tested it and it's correct. 30 is waay to slow though. Worth playing with the idea though. :)

Yes, actually is the same any animation. 1 = 1 second, the detonate animation takes 1 second to finish, 20 = 20 seconds, it takes 20 seconds. Its really very straight - forward. It works the exactly same way for any explosion animation/weapon or projectile.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Metzelmax wrote:I had a sticky thread... once

You got RNG'd. :D Yours was the last stickied topic before all sticky threads from this subforum were moved to one single stickied topic.

Technically, it is still a "sticky" and technically correct is the best kind of correct. ;)
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm trying to make a weapon for my mod, but I'm stuck on the first step.
You said to name the subfolders "my_weapon/data/", but when I try to do that my computer beeps at me and says I can't have slashes in folder names. Is there a way I can put slashes in folder names? Or is a subfolder a special kind of folder?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:54 pm

A slash in the name means that you have to create two folders: one named my_weapon, and the other inside it, named data. The trailing slash (my_weapon/data/) can be ignored.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:56 pm

kartoFlane wrote:A slash in the name means that you have to create two folders: one named my_weapon, and the other inside it, named data. The trailing slash (my_weapon/data/) can be ignored.

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense.
Also JEEZ you've been a big help in making my mod. Thanks. I really can't say that enough.