A mod request... "Salvage"

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
LordAshram

A mod request... "Salvage"

Postby LordAshram » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi all!

Okay, really enjoying FTL so far, but I have to admit I am a touch turned off by the fact that when you die you lose EVERYTHING.

I would love it if you had a CHANCE to keep one or two bits or pieces from your ship, so you always feel like the ships that came before are part of the "legacy" of your game, instead of being gone forever.

So I was wondering... would it be possible to add something to the game called "salvage" in which there was a small chance of retaining one piece of gear or crew member to a new game, a tiny chance or retaining two bits, or a REALLY tiny chance or retaining three bits?

I just think that the "Oh YES, my cool crew guy survived!" would be a wonderful experience and add to the overall "story" feel of each crew, instead of each one being brand new and having no emotional attachment.

Thoughts?

Thanks, from an old school modder!:)
agigabyte

Re: A mod request... "Salvage"

Postby agigabyte » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 am

This. Would. Be. Awesome! :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 am

That's impossible without hacking the game exe, which at this point means it's impossible.

I assume you've heard of it (because you used the word) but just in case, you may want to check out Rogue Legacy. It does exactly what you want and more.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:42 am

Nuts. It would have been neat:(

And no, I hadn't heard of Rogue Legacy... not really my type of game, looking at it:) At some point I'll post a funny story about FTL and how it is VERY much my type of game... but the idea that, when you die, you have NO connection between crews does sort of pull me out of the enjoyment a bit.
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

I have one word for you:

This would be a sourcemod, and sourcemods are (unfortunately) banned (they require you to distribute source files).
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Ora_unit_SR388 wrote:I have one word for you:

This would be a sourcemod, and sourcemods are (unfortunately) banned (they require you to distribute source files).

Actually that's not strictly true. While it is illegal to distribute the game's soruce code, you can legally distribute a patch.

"Move these bytes here and these bytes thre, and insert these new, not-in-the-original-file bytes to this other place" is a totally legal way to distribute a modification to a copyrighted file. It's how we used to mod Doom back in the day.

I wish someone would do that with the Phantom Edit so I could see it legally.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
21tk12

Postby 21tk12 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Good Idea :) I would like to play with it on as you could come up with some cool stories. It is a rouge like for a reason though...