[REQUEST] Ship Battle Arena

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
al244098

[REQUEST] Ship Battle Arena

Postby al244098 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:59 am

i dont know how to mod at all, but i had this idea floating around and i thought i might share it

the concept is that you will battle 25 ships and one boss ship,no sectors, no random events, just straight to the point

after every 3 battles, you will be given a completely random store with randomized items to buy and repair

though, not all the ships are vanilla ships, most will be modded ships with custom weapons (and if possible, power surges like the flagship)

hopefully someone here might pick up this idea
966socho

Re: [REQUEST] Ship Battle Arena

Postby 966socho » Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 am

You can't put multiple combats scenarios into one beacon IIRC, so a pure boss rush is out of the question. If you can hardcode sector maps, it might be possible. Just make a linear map with the conditions you described. Otherwise, you can just limit the kinds of events to only hostile ship encounters and shops, which won't give you the strict 3 ship, 1 shop ordering you want, but it would be very close.
al244098

Postby al244098 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 am

966socho wrote:You can't put multiple combats scenarios into one beacon IIRC, so a pure boss rush is out of the question. If you can hardcode sector maps, it might be possible. Just make a linear map with the conditions you described. Otherwise, you can just limit the kinds of events to only hostile ship encounters and shops, which won't give you the strict 3 ship, 1 shop ordering you want, but it would be very close.

can you make auto jumping?
i've seen that in the infinite space mod that we automatically jump when we arrive at the exit
and is there no way to change the map structure?
966socho

Postby 966socho » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am

I didn't look into the code of Infinite Space, but I can tell you that it's probably done by porting you over to the "Crystal Sector" every time you hit an Exit Beacon. That's why after the first sector, you would always see your starmap data say "Sector ?".

I don't think there's a way to keep track of which encounter you are supposed to have built into the event system. That is, the event you are currently encountering has no way of knowing which events you have gone through. So the only way to keep trac... :o

ACTUALLY, SCRATCH EVERY DOUBTFUL WORD I JUST SAID ABOUT YOUR IDEA. EPIPHANY TIME :idea:

We can do it by quest generation. So most of the beacons would be empty, save for one quest beacon. Upon arriving, you fight Enemy Ship #1. After defeating that ship, you get another quest, which leads to Enemy Ship #2 and so on. One of these quests could spawn a shop. When you run out of beacons, I think the game puts your quest beacon in the next sector, so you just head to the exit.

"But we might run out of fuel really easily by just running across the map chasing quest beacons!" Well, just start with 999 or so and there's no worries. Also, we should remove the "You take the fuel out of storage" result from among the reward messages since it's unnecessary now. The downside is you must finish fighting the ship to proceed, so no skipping a fight to repair at a shop.

Also a good idea to remove the FTL augments which do not apply to combat.
al244098

Postby al244098 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:04 am

966socho wrote:I didn't look into the code of Infinite Space, but I can tell you that it's probably done by porting you over to the "Crystal Sector" every time you hit an Exit Beacon. That's why after the first sector, you would always see your starmap data say "Sector ?".

I don't think there's a way to keep track of which encounter you are supposed to have built into the event system. That is, the event you are currently encountering has no way of knowing which events you have gone through. So the only way to keep trac... :o

ACTUALLY, SCRATCH EVERY DOUBTFUL WORD I JUST SAID ABOUT YOUR IDEA. EPIPHANY TIME :idea:

We can do it by quest generation. So most of the beacons would be empty, save for one quest beacon. Upon arriving, you fight Enemy Ship #1. After defeating that ship, you get another quest, which leads to Enemy Ship #2 and so on. One of these quests could spawn a shop. When you run out of beacons, I think the game puts your quest beacon in the next sector, so you just head to the exit.

"But we might run out of fuel really easily by just running across the map chasing quest beacons!" Well, just start with 999 or so and there's no worries. Also, we should remove the "You take the fuel out of storage" result from among the reward messages since it's unnecessary now. The downside is you must finish fighting the ship to proceed, so no skipping a fight to repair at a shop.

Also a good idea to remove the FTL augments which do not apply to combat.

is it possible to make such an event that you lose all your fuel then only gain 1 fuel from defeating the enemy?
966socho

Postby 966socho » Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Probably, but what would that achieve? Just make fuel a non-issue.
al244098

Postby al244098 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:26 am

966socho wrote:Probably, but what would that achieve? Just make fuel a non-issue.

very well, then, but i myself dont even know a single thing about modding, can you suggest a guide of some sort?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am

966socho wrote:Probably, but what would that achieve? Just make fuel a non-issue.

It would cause you to never be able to run from a fight, which I think is the intent of this idea.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
966socho

Postby 966socho » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 am

I see. I guess you can take away all the fuel at the start of the fight. You can't control the distance to the next quest beacon though, so you should give them 999 fuel at the end. There's still the problem of what happens when you exit the sector before completing a cycle though.