Calling all modders

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Alvarin

Re: Calling all modders

Postby Alvarin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Aaaand another issue...
I wanted to animate steering-wheel type motion for the console operation, with hands slightly spread, rocking side to side. BUT this is not animation at all. Turns out it just randomly picks a frame out of the four. it looks sad, not even comical... I think I will just have to do static image for consoles, unless someone has a plausible idea for this...
Oh, and the one under the repair animation is for hand-to-hand combat. Still have no idea when the running is used. Probably will just lazy-out and use the walking twice.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Well, do whatever needs to be done. The console animation doesn't need to be anything erally complex, just wibbling the arms about like in the stock game can be made to work if the 'consoles' are of the right type. Don't forget that the consoles themselves don't get an animation, only a glow, and apart from that are static.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 am

Alvarin wrote:I am not certain I understand the question...
There are 7 (8) races: Human (Female), Zoltan, Rockman, Mantis, Engi, Slugs, Crystal.
In addition there are repair, boarding and anti-personnel drones.
The crew and, to a lesser degree, the drones have each 3 big image sets - green, red, yellow.
Each set has about 130 animation frames (individual 30x30 images)
Then there are assorted bits and pieces, in total there are 64 image files in the directory.

Progress report - it's going slow, I have somewhat less time then expected and it is harder than I thought...

Does anyone know why there are two sets of weapon animation? The second one just having duplicate (triplicate?) images.
Another question is about the last two lines of animation before teleport and death - it looks like running, but I did not see it in-game...

This looks great; I don't think anyone's attempted editing the race sprites on this scale before.

One thing I've tried (that you might find useful) is changing the hand-to-hand combat sound. You can break it down by race, or even add lists of sounds that are selected randomly. It could really add to your atmosphere.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am

There are new characters in MassEffect mod and in one of StarTrek mods they made Zoltan into Vulcan.
Yes, along with the repair sound. Either a new one, or just use the Rock repair sound.
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 am

Alvarin wrote:There are new characters in MassEffect mod and in one of StarTrek mods they made Zoltan into Vulcan.
Yes, along with the repair sound. Either a new one, or just use the Rock repair sound.

Wow have I been out of touch for a while.

Edit: The Mass Effect mod, at least, just has copy+paste and color swaps. Nothing like what you're doing. I don't see any altered race images in the Star Trek mod.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Alvarin, what I meant earlier was if you could post what each race would look like, just so we'd know. Also, do you have an idea for Crystal guys yet?
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Thashepherd - I think it was just the Enterprise, not the entire StarTrek universe mod.
ThePieman - I think DryEagle wants no crystals, because their lockdown ability just doesn't fit into the mod.
The crew will look probably like this, though I'm not really happy with the Slugs stand-in.

I've been playing to test the animation cycles, and I ended up with nice setup.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition :twisted:
imagelink - http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/ ... 63h8ii.png
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Man, so far lookin good. Can't wait for my turn to contribute LOL
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Alvarin wrote:ThePieman - I think DryEagle wants no crystals, because their lockdown ability just doesn't fit into the mod

Y'know, China was quite the empire back in these days. Crystals could be like Chinese guys, lockdown could be like smoke that traps them in the room. Crystal ships could be Chinese Junks.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I initially thought it could be someone throwing out a net, but that wouldn't work the way the crystal lockdown graphic is done. Smoke is more viable, but then it wouldn't make any sense since you'd have people... shooting/swording at smoke? to enter/leave a room? that makes no sense either. plus it's more work when we already have enough to handle. may add it later though, but it's not a priority for now.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage