The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NewAgeOfPower

Re: The Shipyard

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm

You are a lifesaver, Karto.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 pm

holy.... those look good..........

quick question, what is the easiest way to make Pirate markings on a ship?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks for the Engi Pirate ships!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am

Thank you, I'm quite happy with how they turned out myself :)

R4V3-0N wrote:quick question, what is the easiest way to make Pirate markings on a ship?

Well, I copied the pirate marking color and the pirate "logo", then created a new layer over the Engi hull layer, with layer mode set to Overlay (using Photoshop). This way you don't have to paint all of the different shades yourself.

Then I just hand-painted all of the pirate paintjob Image But I suppose you could do this in an easier way -- you could try copying markings from existing ships, and cropping / splicing them to match the new hull.

You may need to adjust the brightness and/or saturation of the pirate marking color, so that it fits the ship you're painting over (Overlay mode layer behaves slightly differently depending on the color below it)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:47 am

What about on gimp?

I can't afford Photoshop or a tablet or anything but I do want to get better at digital art.

Also unless it is something I hand drawn (which I am very good in doing) and then edit apone that.

I can not make custom images =c
I can do slicing and merging/ adding parts that was drawn on. that's okay.

Also I would like to make a request to anyone here who is interested, You know that MFK logo/icon/insignia on the Rebel Flagship and Elite ships? I want a logo of sorts but for the Slugs. I do not want a recolour or MFK on it and I do not want a bird crest design, can be a crest but no birds. Don't even know if slugs ever seen a bird before.

This is a hard task due to how it is the 2nd rarest race in game (1st = crystal, ghosts don't count) and there is little known about them besides this...

There ship look like and have Jelly Fish names and the race in game names is jelly. (maybe they were originally space Jellyfish? that would have been cool and would explain the telekinesis thing)

Enemy ships are named...

Button
Croissant
Truffle

They like weapons that hurt personal, eg.
Breach bombs
Fire Beams
Anti Bio Beam.

and like burst lasers.

They are known for being liars and greedy.

Besides that there isn't to much to it. This is pretty much all I found out about them. Oh and they like hacking equipment and disabling equipment.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 pm

I think some of Photoshop's functions are also available in Gimp, the layer mode seems like a pretty basic one.
But if not, well, I can't help you with that... We're all obviously law-abiding citizens here :roll:

Those images were actually drawn using a mouse. Even though I own a tablet, it's not really that useful for a highly precise job like pixel painting.

I'd imagine it's better to first be good at drawing traditionally (using actual pencils, etc), and then move on to digital art, but I don't really have experience with actual digital art, other than admiring pretty pictures created by others.
If you really want to get a tablet, make sure you'll make an extensive use of it and practice drawing using it, so that it doesn't go to waste.

Citing all those motivational pictures on the internet, innate talent actually makes up for a very small part of one's skill... Most of it is a lot of practice.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:26 pm

thanks for the info, from what I see with the layers, there is no option that makes the lower layers colours affect the above one without making it transparent. but that won't make the same effect.
that means when I place something on it I have to manually do the shading and stuff, I already have to do that with slicing parts together, now I have to do it again for eye candy? xD I know I'm bound to mess it up.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Stuff from the CE scrapyard.

derelict drones, ancient weapons and modified crew sheets.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:02 am

It's been a while since I last posted, but this seems like a pretty good idea. I've got a few ship and weapon sprites hanging around somewhere; I'll upload some in a couple of days, see if anyone's interested in using them since I can't.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Stuff from the CE scrapyard.

derelict drones, ancient weapons and modified crew sheets.

Those Mantis look pretty neat. :)