[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-5-14

Postby kartoFlane » Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 am

Huh, weird. Are you sure you've set your export path correctly, and that you're looking for the exported ships in directory specified by that path?
It's usually best to just set it to your desktop, since it's easiest to find your ships there.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Miubot555@gmail.com

Postby Miubot555@gmail.com » Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 am

Hi, I'm sorry... So I exported my custom player ship to a folder in "My Documents." ...So what do I do with it now? How do I install it into the game? Thanks.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 am

Hey, welcome to the forums. If you're new to modding, first and foremost get GMM. Then put the .ftl file inside /mods/ folder in GMM's directory, run the manager via main.py (the exe is broken), and then patch your mod by selecting it, and hitting the "Patch" button.
(if you're new to GMM and have some issues/problems using it, browse through the last 3 pages or so, it's very likely that your question has been answered already)
Miubot555@gmail.com

Postby Miubot555@gmail.com » Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey, Thanks. So I patched FTL with my new ship by putting the .ftl file created by Superluminal into GMM. I got the new ship layout to work, but all the other mods I made like starting weapons and crew didn't go through. Did I do something wrong?

I'm still very new to this... I noticed that the weapons data is located in the blueprints.xml.append file... Is there something wrong with that file that's making it not work? Thanks again.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun May 19, 2013 9:34 pm

By "other mods", do you mean other .ftl files, or other modifications that were supposed to be included in the exported layout? If it's the latter, maybe you accidentally clicked "cancel" instead of "confirm" in the editor.

As for .xml.append files, they're essential for multiple mods to work together. It's basically the same as the usual blueprints.xml or any other xml file, just that contents of this file are added to the original file, instead of overwriting it (so, if you have blueprints.xml.append, its contents will be added at the end of FTL's blueprints.xml).
I'd recommend reading the "for developers" section in the first post in GMM's thread; it explains it all much more thoroughly.
Miubot555@gmail.com

Postby Miubot555@gmail.com » Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Got it to work! Thanks for all the help.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 pm

I was looking all over the forums, and I couldn't find the answer to my question. Is it required to have an image for floors and cloak? I know it won't be polished, but is the ship still playable?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the game will just display the "missing texture" image. So it should be all fine.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 am

Thunderr wrote:I was looking all over the forums, and I couldn't find the answer to my question. Is it required to have an image for floors and cloak? I know it won't be polished, but is the ship still playable?

Its not required to have a floor image as far as i know, but in the case of cloak i think u will need to have almost a transparent image or the game will show a black square (i think but im not sure).
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 am

clicking onto adding a cloak, but then cancel without having selected a cloak will crash the editor
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?