[MOD][WIP] Extra scoop of vanilla

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
cogitator

Re: [MOD][WIP] Extra scoop of vanilla

Postby cogitator » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 pm

DiEvAl wrote:
cogitator wrote:
EDIT: There is a way to force player to pick blue choice: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2795

Ah ha! I didn't think to try that... makes sense though. I've become a little leery of messing with things that "ought" to work and finding they crash the game, but this will totally work for what I'm trying to do. Thanks!
First playable release of Extra Scoop is out! Download Link!
cogitator

Postby cogitator » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

All right, new question time! (I have a lot of those, evidently)

While I know it is pretty easy to make a choice that requires a type of weapon - Bombs, Lasers, Beams, etc - IS there a way to require just a particular subset?

I.E. Either level of breach bomb. These components are bomb_breach_1 and bomb_breach_2. Does that mean that
req="BOMB_BREACH" would work? I have my doubts but I'm looking for confirmation.

This would make it easier to set special options that require types of weapons and not whole families. Obviously this works to some degree with ion weapons since they are still in the BEAM and LASER weapons families but you can specify ion weapons only for a choice. On the other hand, the way the original settlement encounter was coded with fire beam and fire bomb as separate choices indicates that this functionality may not extend to all weapons.

Thanks! Back to work now...
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

cogitator wrote:All right, new question time! (I have a lot of those, evidently)

While I know it is pretty easy to make a choice that requires a type of weapon - Bombs, Lasers, Beams, etc - IS there a way to require just a particular subset?

I.E. Either level of breach bomb. These components are bomb_breach_1 and bomb_breach_2. Does that mean that
req="BOMB_BREACH" would work? I have my doubts but I'm looking for confirmation.

This would make it easier to set special options that require types of weapons and not whole families. Obviously this works to some degree with ion weapons since they are still in the BEAM and LASER weapons families but you can specify ion weapons only for a choice. On the other hand, the way the original settlement encounter was coded with fire beam and fire bomb as separate choices indicates that this functionality may not extend to all weapons.

Make a blueprint list of all the items you want to trigger the option. Make that blueprint list the req.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:35 am

cogitator wrote:All right, new question time! (I have a lot of those, evidently)
On the other hand, the way the original settlement encounter was coded with fire beam and fire bomb as separate choices indicates that this functionality may not extend to all weapons.

But wait, choosing the fire bomb option decreases missile (Right?). Maybe THAT'S why these are two different options.
cogitator

Postby cogitator » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 am

EdenNov wrote:But wait, choosing the fire bomb option decreases missile (Right?). Maybe THAT'S why these are two different options.

Spot on, makes perfect sense!

Whale Cancer wrote:
Make a blueprint list of all the items you want to trigger the option. Make that blueprint list the req.

Ah yes, thanks. I had looked around in blueprints.xml but failed to realize the lists are in autoblueprints instead. Implented, obviously.

Now, first release is out! Go play it, break it, etc!
QuintonBeck

Postby QuintonBeck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:45 am

So you're adding blue options for Zoltans and such right? They seem sorely underserved when it comes to being an interactive race. They're basically humans but with less health when it comes to encounters. Maybe options for humans might be interesting too? Could be some things we do better? Eh, who knows, but it seems like a Zoltan ought to be able to do something. Maybe they could prevent your systems from being power hacked by flooding the subsystem with more power thus preventing it's shut down? I dunno, they need something.

Also, I've been thinking the ship you play could have a potentially larger role. I know in the Mantis encounter where the Mantis have Rock body parts on their ship there's a blue option for using the rock ship at the time to ram them. Maybe a Zoltan ship in Zoltan space ought to get better treatment or assistance? Or a an Engi in Engi space etc.

Just some loose ideas cause I really like this mod idea and definitely see a lot of potential in it.
cogitator

Postby cogitator » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:29 pm

QuintonBeck wrote:So you're adding blue options for Zoltans and such right? (...)

Also, I've been thinking the ship you play could have a potentially larger role. I know in the Mantis encounter where the Mantis have Rock body parts on their ship there's a blue option for using the rock ship at the time to ram them. Maybe a Zoltan ship in Zoltan space ought to get better treatment or assistance? Or a an Engi in Engi space etc.

Just some loose ideas cause I really like this mod idea and definitely see a lot of potential in it.

Yes! I've been trying to think of good way to use Zoltan in blue events and this definitely help. I feel like their usefulness as energy sources can definitely play a role in certain events but it also may be the reason that they don't have many blue choices - kind of like weapon pre-igniters they are already pretty useful.

As far as ship based events, we'll have to wait and see. I haven't gotten there yet in the event files but it may spark some inspiration when I see how it is coded. Heck, might inspire special events for all the ship types... eventually. Actually, looking ahead the event triggers off of rock plating and not the ship itself. So, I'm sure there will be more events for the ship-specific augments but none based on ship type at this time.

Any how, thanks for the input!
Last edited by cogitator on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuintonBeck

Postby QuintonBeck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm

I figured their standing usefulness as energy sources may have been why they weren't employed in blue events so much but at the same time the other races are equally useful in other ways so I think it may have just been difficulty in coming up with things for them to do. So in light of trying to come up with ideas some spitballing.

As mentioned, preventing hacks from working.

Perhaps able to deal with Zoltan border patrol guards? Both those in asteroid fields who try to stop you for trespassing and maybe bypassing/benefiting the ship at crew checks for convicts? Preventing Zoltan aggression in the "confusion over your weapon's license" encounter?

Maybe positively affecting your encounter with the Monolith/eye encounter? "Your Zoltan shipmate, a devout follower of the ways of his people says a prayer in honor of the Great Eye to which the Monolith responds kindly"

Wowzers! I just found an actual Zoltan crew event! I've never run into it before.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Zoltan_Trade_Hub

Anyway, other things like that might be a good idea too. What with the official documentation and them likely being a citizen in the Zoltan government and thus able to get you through Zoltan events.

Maybe they could have an interaction with the Engi? Like at destroyed Fed bases your Zoltan could reactivate one of the less damaged Engi through funneling his power into the husk? Or maybe less macabre, but something.

This is the event I was referring to with the Rock ship, though if I remember my encounter correctly I don't recall ramming actually damaging their engines in any way.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Ship_Rock_body_parts
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 pm

QuintonBeck wrote:...
I know in the Mantis encounter where the Mantis have Rock body parts on their ship there's a blue option for using the rock ship at the time to ram them...

Are you sure it's the rock SHIP and not rock PLATING that does that?
I know nothing about modding, but I do know that augmentation can have blue options, I'm not sure whether ships (by themselves) can.
QuintonBeck

Postby QuintonBeck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 pm

As you see in the link I provided it is, as it is in game, the blue text with parenthesis around Rock Ship. Now I can't imagine it's the augment that triggers it since that augment can be obtained by a non-rock ship in the quest to get the rock ship and it doesn't say rock plating, it says rock ship. It's the only instance I've seen the ship affect an encounter but it's there. I'm no modder so I don't know what it looks like but it is a random encounter not a quest so I can't imagine they sunk too much extra time and coding into it than any other particular event.