[WIP] Tablet Port

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Icehawk78

Re: [WIP] Tablet Port

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 pm

AtillaBosma wrote:Well, right clicking is done by double tapping, and you CAN hover, but it requires you to slowly drag your mouse over the button.
Keyboard input is done by the iPad's keyboard, so you can't really use it at the same time as playing the game.

Ah. That doesn't seem like it would work well with FTL, then, unless you decided to play mostly real-time.
nilwolf

Postby nilwolf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
AtillaBosma wrote:Well, right clicking is done by double tapping, and you CAN hover, but it requires you to slowly drag your mouse over the button.
Keyboard input is done by the iPad's keyboard, so you can't really use it at the same time as playing the game.

Ah. That doesn't seem like it would work well with FTL, then, unless you decided to play mostly real-time.

This is one of the reasons why we are doing a port instead of working out a hackey solution to get the original game to somehow run on a tablet. I actually tried running FTL on a netvertible and that's when I realized that FTL isn't ready for a device that will only let you use a touch screen for input. We're expecting to have to make considerable changes to certain parts of the UI to make it useable on touch screen devices. We already have a list compiled along with the possible solutions and we're probably going to encounter more as we progress.
Attackid

Postby Attackid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 am

splashtop is bad, very bad
use kainy
full customized controls
setup the mouse to make it point and click
have the spacebar right there on screen

however an actual port would be even better, keep up the great work
jkenny23

Postby jkenny23 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 am

Attackid wrote:splashtop is bad, very bad
use kainy
full customized controls
setup the mouse to make it point and click
have the spacebar right there on screen

however an actual port would be even better, keep up the great work

Mind posting steps on how you got it running under Kainy? I got it for my tablet but I think it just black screened (graphics issue). Kainy seems really buggy for me, and the graphics quality is pretty poor, even on the highest quality (compared to Splashtop).
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:03 am

Just so you know (I know you responded to this issue, i just wanted to add my comment), we ARE looking into an official version of the game on tablets. If you're doing it just for yourselves, no harm i guess, but it'd be tricky if you try to distribute it. Anything that appears on any distribution channel using our assets would have to be shut down. :/

I'd personally just suggest you wait since we're hoping to do it ourselves. It will take a LOT of reworking UI/interaction to make it play well on touch based systems.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
nilwolf

Postby nilwolf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Justin wrote:Just so you know (I know you responded to this issue, i just wanted to add my comment), we ARE looking into an official version of the game on tablets. If you're doing it just for yourselves, no harm i guess, but it'd be tricky if you try to distribute it. Anything that appears on any distribution channel using our assets would have to be shut down. :/

I'd personally just suggest you wait since we're hoping to do it ourselves. It will take a LOT of reworking UI/interaction to make it play well on touch based systems.

Great to know that there's an official going to be a tablet version. we're still pushing through with the project, mainly for the experience. We will still distribute it, if there's any need for it, and if not, then we still would have fun coding it. :D

Speaking of the UI, my work on getting the ship selection screen to work shows that the easy/normal mode buttons tend to be hinky because they're already small enough that they're easy to miss. Hope that helps. :D