[Idea]Fleets!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Joefesok

[Idea]Fleets!

Postby Joefesok » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I had an idea (obviously);

How about, you can fight fleets of ships!

How it works is that when you start the game (Or some time later, perhaps) you are given control of a small fleet of ships. These ships would be variants of the NPC ships existing ingame, or allied cruisers (I think how this would work is that once you've unlocked the cruiser once, you can do the quest chain again to get a buffed version of the ship). Each ship has an individual crew, and you can swap your view between the ships using a menu similar to the selection screen for new games. You can also choose to see all of your fleet ships in reduced size, but on the same screen. In order to move crew in between ships, a teleporter is required. This acts like porting to a enemy ship.

Actionbars;
Actionbars work like normal in single view, but in overview the action bars of each ship are listed below it. Above the ship is the power bar ICONS. These will be divided into parts similar to a pie chart.

Combat
Combat works the same, but you can have multiple ships focusing thier attacks on one ship, or evenly distributing attacks.

The whole idea of the mod is that you are no longer alone in the universe, and can use other ships on your journey.
THEBANDIT240

Re: [Idea]Fleets!

Postby THEBANDIT240 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 am

I was thinking something like having a fleet of up to 15 ships or something but only having three ships on screen for each team at one time. When one ship gets destroyed it gets replaced by another ship on the fleet. For as far as the story goes it could be while the federation was in power the rock mantis and slug rise up and you have to build up a fleet to take on theirs. Also I think it would be better if the player controlled only one ships at a time an the others were AI controlled.
I love FTL
Try out this awesome mod Infinte Space! -
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=23012#p23012
alextfish

Re: [Idea]Fleets!

Postby alextfish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am

This should probably be moved to the General discussion. This is a vastly far-reaching idea, certainly not remotely doable with the mod tools we have available; even FTL Overdrive might not support this. It's more suitable for a sequel than a mod.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.