[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rhaining

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3

Postby rhaining » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am

Disabling animations works but I sure wish I could use this mod without having to do that. :^( Which nebula pics exactly did you leave as double resolution? I'm reasonably technical but a complete newbie at FTL modding. I'm thinking of using Photoshop to reduce the resolution on all relevant images to their original resolution to see if that fixes the problem, I just can't tell which images I'd need to fix.

Here's a screenshot with disabled animation. It definitely works around the problem, at the cost of animations.
disabled-animation.jpg
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 am

those are the files

nebula_large_a.png
nebula_large_b.png
nebula_large_c.png

original resolution is 199x155
mine are 512x399
Toxic

Postby Toxic » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 am

This looks really nice, but for some reason it causes my game to undergo a Library Runtime Error :/
without it all of my other mods work fine.

p.s the GMM 1.7 Doesnt seem to recognize the python software. any solutions? :!:
this looks really really neat
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Library Runtime Errors are beyond my comprehension :\
but i think people could help you better if they knew some details, like your OS, game version (steam etc), some hardware info (maybe your on a laptop) etc.

and start GMM with main.py, not modman.exe

hope that helps at least a little

cheers
Fadedsun

Postby Fadedsun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Not sure if this was brought up already, but the Nebulas in V1.2 really mess with the game screen. Does V1.3 fix this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/ ... 58d482.png
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

1.3 has the same nebula textures as 1.2... i don't know, maybe its because you're on mac... if u disable the animated nebula it should work...
if i recall correctly, then all who had problems with the animated nebula where mac users.

my nebula textures are 512x399, original is 199x155.. i guess mac doesn't like that..

i uploaded 2 ftl files one with the 3 nebula textures with the original textures, and one with double the original textures..

use the low-res textures only if you have problems with the animated nebula textures of better planets and backgrounds!
moddb link
orginal resolution-> http://www.file-upload.net/download-748 ... s.ftl.html
double resolution -> http://www.file-upload.net/download-748 ... s.ftl.html

activate one of them after the background mod or just one of those should work too i guess..

and please report back if those also produces those graphic glitches.
Last edited by sanmonku on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fadedsun

Postby Fadedsun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Reducing down to the original resolution fixed the problem. Everything looks great now. Thanks!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:38 pm

I just tried this mod 1 week ago, i was using the high resolution textures instead, and for some reason i always thought this mod was the same! lool. :shock: (maybe cuz i never took a look into the thread). Well, im sure the nebula glitches are a mac issue, since i dont see any issue on any nebula, just a little glow up in the FTL icon but thats all.

Good job btw, its incredible how the game changes with all these high resolution planets and stuff. The only thing i dont like too much is the detail on the planets, the meteor bombing details (i assume is that), i mean, it looks great in 1 or 2 planets, but not in so many of em. Everything else is almost perfect, good job!!
Last edited by speedoflight on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Fadedsun, could you be more specific about how exactly you resolved this problem? I'm still running the original mod with animations turned off, but I'd much rather understand how to actually fix the problem and turn animations back on. (Playing on a Mac, too.)
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 pm

@Fadedsun, did you try both or just the one with the original resolution?

@rhaining, download one of the files i posted above, the one with the original resolution should work, but it would be nice if you could test both.
just in case, you have to use the main file and one of the rescaled nebula files.