[OVERHAUL - USES HYPERSPACE] FTL: MULTIVERSE Version 5.4.4 Orchids Revamped

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
bluem95

Re: [OVERHAUL - USES HYPERSPACE] FTL: MULTIVERSE Version 4.7 [Panic at the Science Center + Hotfix]

Postby bluem95 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am

Somewhat new to this mod, loving all of the content so far but I was curious if there is some kind of limitation or other reason the flagship is still the same fight every time with the amount of variety this mod adds otherwise. The whole multiverse idea felt like a good excuse to make a different looking flagship each time.
TeamEXAngus

Re: [OVERHAUL - USES HYPERSPACE] FTL: MULTIVERSE Version 4.7 [Panic at the Science Center + Hotfix]

Postby TeamEXAngus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:16 pm

JUST FAILED THE RUWEN QUEST WOOHOOO

Ruwen joined my crew. Entered crystal sector. Only way to get to quest beacon is by passing through the exit beacon. Ruwen leaves your crew if you go to the exit beacon before the quest beacon. Fun and fair game 10/10.
TheMultiverseTeam

Postby TheMultiverseTeam » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:48 pm

First, sometimes the slug palace doesn't spawn in the royal nebula.

Yeah, there's some really weird stuff going on with nebula sectors. Nebula gen is different than normal beacon gen and I'm still trying to figure out how it works. I believe I've found the cause of beacons that should be spawning not spawning, but there's still other issues I'm trying to figure out.

And second, if you fight the flagship with no fuel, it can jump away, causing the stage to end.

Ironically, this is actually a vanilla bug. Also, coincidentally, there's a way for MV to fix it with new things hyperspace adds.

is some kind of limitation or other reason the flagship is still the same fight every time with the amount of variety this mod adds otherwise. The whole multiverse idea felt like a good excuse to make a different looking flagship each time.

Flagship is probably the most hardcoded element of the entire game. A lot of the things MV already does do to it (the different crew, different drones on stage 2 power surge) are only because of hyperspace, but even then it's still very limited. Things like Flagship randomization aren't possible at the moment. To be honest, even if it were, I'm not sure I'd want it to be part of the base mod. Every other boss in MV stays consistent between runs besides shields, so I think I'd rather it just be an addon (assuming it were possible down the line).
kingjoshington

Postby kingjoshington » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:18 pm

bluem95 wrote:Somewhat new to this mod, loving all of the content so far but I was curious if there is some kind of limitation or other reason the flagship is still the same fight every time with the amount of variety this mod adds otherwise. The whole multiverse idea felt like a good excuse to make a different looking flagship each time.

I was kind of hoping we could play with the 26 flagships mod that changes the flagship at the end ... but the instructions here have been pretty clear stating that this mod does not play nice with much else.
I do agree that it is a bit surprising to see the flagship seems to always be more or less the same.
TeamEXAngus

Postby TeamEXAngus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 am

Bug report time:

I got to sector 8 then beat the game with Kestrel B but I did not unlock Kestrel C
TeamEXAngus

Postby TeamEXAngus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:40 am

Bug report time:

I got to sector 8 then beat the game with Kestrel B but I did not unlock Kestrel C
Tadanga

Postby Tadanga » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Hey guys, been playing this mod a lot and loving every second of it! I've been trying to beat the game on hard difficulty (challenge mode normal) with all the ships. So far I've done the 1st two and a half pages apart from Sylvan's ships and the elite ones. a few of the ships have quite weak starting setups so I was basically just selling all their drones, weapons and augments in sector one and buying new weapons from the store/merchant to continue the runs rather than using the intended strategies. I have some feedback / suggestions for those ships below.

Milita Cruiser B -
Drones cant kill the enemy ships fast enough before your own ship gets pounded. Any kind of heal bay or clone bay ship is almost impossible to beat without losing tons of resources. If the ship had a ancient atom drone instead of the two mk1s it might solve a lot of its problems and allow the strategy to be played beyond the early game.

Engineer Cruiser B -
Similar problem as the Milita B, just cant kill the enemies fast enough and none of the drones, weapon or augment have any scaling into mid or late game. All runs I was just selling the doctor drones the second I could buy a med bay or clone bay. Maybe the doctor drone would be useful if it also applied murder nano bots to the ship or room that its in, that way you'd want to board with it and protect it from the bad guys.

Engi Cruiser C -
Weakest of the bunch, tough to get a run going with it. Missing a point in shields completely cripples it vs any beams or drones or asteroid fields. Coughing up 100 scrap sector 1 just to get shields hurts, the ship would still be weak even if it started with them. The ion bomb isn't much help as it takes to long to charge, every run I was taking the free basic laser and just using that instead with both drones in attack mode to blow up the enemy ships as fast as possible before they can get to many shots off. If it had level 1 shields from the start it would be a lot better.

Shadow weapons -
Best upgrade in the game hands down. Doesn't even matter what weapons I have, I'm buying this every single time. Its just that good. I think it could do with a cost increase to be on par with defence scrambler, also limiting it to level 3 cloaking and not letting it work with levels 4 & 5 like the reconstructive teleporter does could be good. That way if you're using fast weapons you're going to stick to levels 1-3 with shadow weapons and if you use glave beam or high cool down weapons you can tech to levels 4-5 without shadow weapons. This could give some decision making back to whether to get it or not in a run instead of just always buying it no matter what the ship setup is.

Overall the mod is fantastic! Love all the new ships and trying to unlock them all. Everyone working on this is doing a great job!
kingjoshington

Postby kingjoshington » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Tadanga wrote:Shadow weapons -
Best upgrade in the game hands down. Doesn't even matter what weapons I have, I'm buying this every single time. Its just that good. I think it could do with a cost increase to be on par with defence scrambler, also limiting it to level 3 cloaking and not letting it work with levels 4 & 5 like the reconstructive teleporter does could be good. That way if you're using fast weapons you're going to stick to levels 1-3 with shadow weapons and if you use glave beam or high cool down weapons you can tech to levels 4-5 without shadow weapons. This could give some decision making back to whether to get it or not in a run instead of just always buying it no matter what the ship setup is.

This seems like a very reasonable suggestion!
TheMultiverseTeam

Postby TheMultiverseTeam » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm

Bug report time:

I believe we've found the source of this. It appears Hyperspace has something really funky going on with the save files, and sometimes doesn't save the game or even register that you've entered sector 8/killed the flagship. You should notice that you can even resume your continue from a previous state when this happens. I've notified Swift and hopefully it'll be fixed soon, because it's a pretty major bug.

I have some feedback / suggestions for those ships below.

Militia/Engineer B - In my personal preference, I don't think every ship should be able to handle every fight - this even happens in vanilla (most notably Mantis B, who can't handle medbay ships and can only somewhat handle auto ships if you get lucky with where the drone lands). That being said, usually the ships like this in vanilla are just really good ships otherwise, which agreeably MIlitia and Engineer B are not. I'll think of ways to buff them, though I'm not sure an atomizer is the best choice (since, you know, secret sector and what not). For Engineer B, a new drone type is being added somewhat soon as a combat doctor drone (intended to drop FROM the Engineer B MV boss we'll be adding), maybe that would solve that issue.
Engi C - the lack of shields on this ship was actually a bug (I think, I can't imagine I would have done it intentionally when it can't even handle lasers, but I'm not really sure). Engi C has kinda been through hell across updates, I've had to buff and redo its gimmick several times. I'll try and think of a better weapon settup, though I do like it having at least one amphi drone.
The current update's been taking quite a while longer than I prefer it would, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit in these changes and keep on schedule, but I'll make sure to see what I can do about it soon enough.

Shadow weapons -

Someone else actually already made this suggestion not too long ago on the thread, and I do agree cloaking is pretty busted and makes a lot of the fights (especially bosses) a lot easier than they should be. I've already increased cloaking price, shadow weaponry price, and disabled the ability to use lvl 4/5 alongside it. This'll all be in the next release.
kingjoshington

Postby kingjoshington » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:13 pm

One thing that I think is small but a bummer is the "Emergency Manuel" option to gain +1 scrap. I think it should be higher. I'd like 5 scrap -- it's something I'd take every time, so maybe upwards of 50 scrap per sector if you go aggressive. As it is now, I almost RESENT the clicks I have to make in the menu just to get to that +1 scrap.