Additional Events & Texts (AET)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
All4n

Re: Additional Events & Texts (AET)

Postby All4n » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 am

Kenshkrix wrote:How is "Game Over" an acceptable response to an event?

I have to agree, one shot kill is not fun. However a low chance at pretty high damage (10+) would be acceptable.
Last edited by All4n on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got a event, alternative text, or maybe a new sector? Add it to the Additional Events & Texts (AET) mod! Credits will be given, and you will help make a big pack of content!
LtSpitfire

Postby LtSpitfire » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am

Kenshkrix wrote:How is "Game Over" an acceptable response to an event?

I never said it would kill your ship. As Allan said, just do some ~10-12 damage.
xXSoulSlayerXx

Postby xXSoulSlayerXx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:04 am

10~12 damage? Are you mad? That will instantly kill any beginner with a low amount of shields and energy! But perhaps you can make that happen when you travel near the sun... A solar flare is much more powerful than just starting a small fire on deck. :twisted:
Ahhhhhh!!! Not the ion cannons!!!
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 am

I believe the issue is not it making sense in a story-telling sort of fashion, rather it doesn't make much sense in a gameplay sort of way.
Damion227

Postby Damion227 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 am

I just wanted to pop in to say that I had an event where after a failed mission to a research facility, a crew member went mad and had to be put down. I'd never had that happen in vanilla FTL, and I thought it was an awesome bit of drama. He was a member of my boarding party, and he snapped after a bad mission and tried to kill us. If that's a vanilla event, ignore this, but if not, thanks. Despite the loss of a crewman, it created an awesome story moment and ramped up my enjoyment of an already awesome game.
Old Uncle Midwinter

Postby Old Uncle Midwinter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 am

I was going to write in and say I support this wholeheartedly - but honestly, I'm only interested in adding flavor text and more content. I don't give a flying fimbulwinter about 'military realism' in a game, based on FTL drive, where there are maybe 100 events I've already experienced. That's something a whole 'nother mod or the main game itself could address. My ideal for this mod would be to address another area entirely, borrowing a page from the ever-wonderful Weird Worlds/Strange Adventures: Adding more content and descriptions, as opposed to difficulty 'concerns'. The game is easy enough as it is. Adding instant death/punishing options actually make it easier. Either you do really well, or you don't. Kinda takes the strategy out of turn-based strategy, doesn't it..?

So. A few questions - is this mostly a content mod, all4n? I'll add things from time to time, though they'll need to be cleaned up. The idea of 'owning' code, especially bits of code for a game that isn't even mine, seems a little silly and vainglorious - so copy, edit, or otherwise mod anything I say as you see fit.

Code: Select all

#beacon events (empty)
<event>
<text> There is nothing here except the howling of thousands of pieces of broken modular equipment; a truly horrendous battle took place perhaps hours before you arrived. The damage is so vast that it is impossible to estimate who or why the conflict occurred... Only that it left nothing but death in its wake. You watch the fragments of still-sputtering communication equipment drift by and wonder if a Federation victory will put an end to such senseless violence... Then the low thrum of jump engines kick in, and you prepare to leave the debris behind. </text> </event>

<event>
<text> You arrive at a populous planet that somehow has evaded all trace of Rebel and Federation conflict - the reason soon becomes apparent, as the freehold is armed to the teeth. Tunnels and chutes are visible from orbit, and there is a belt of space junk forming a protective ring about the planet proper. You receive several polite but firm hails telling you to move on; after some discussion with your crew, you decide to take them and prepare for the jump forward.</text> </event>

<event>
<text> Away from planets, belts, even light, you find yourself in an uninhabited patch of space. There is a deep gloom amongst the crew - a sense that you have come too far, and that you should continue on. Your head aches and you feel irritable without any given reason - and in the back of your skull, a voice screams to keep moving. [i]You feel it would be a good idea to leave this dead ocean behind.[/i] Staring into the oily darkness too long has driven others insane, or so you hear tell. Without a second thought, you prep another jump.</text> </event>

<event> #nebular
<text> Red nebular pattens greet your view as you jump into this beacon. Though there is nothing visible as far as the eye can see, you wonder why. This dense patch of nebula is more serene than most you have seen so far, and would make an ideal patch for a viewpoint or even a refueling station. Perhaps conflict has destroyed what was once here, or perhaps this sight is something only you and your crew will live to see. Sighing, you take one last look and signal the command to Engineering.</text> </event>

<event> #nebular
<text>  This nebula has been occupied by some vagabonds and squatters; political refugees, they seem to have set up a shanty town hidden from the major players among the nebulae. They are quite friendly, but have nothing to give or trade. You ponder briefly how they obtain supplies, but can't imagine that this is the only such isolated colony. Perhaps establishing a line of supply and trade would help the Federation out... The tiny settlement refuses all such offers however, and after the brief pitstop, you make plans to leave. </text> </event>
All4n

Postby All4n » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

@PvtVain: I have seen it work and I normally test all the events. However most of them are currently in the same eventlist. We need to move some of them.

Also I don't want total realism, that way the game would not be there. Instant death is not really funny in anyway, if you tell the player upfront that this is a risk and they might game over, then I can accept it - that makes sense and the player is to blame, a random event that you have no idea could do this would be unfunny.

@Old Uncle Midwinter:
I agree with you, I want this mod to be not even noticed when installed in that fasih that you will wonder if it is a vanilla event or one of ours. When you add a event/content to this mod you don't own it anymore, however I do respect other peoples ideas so I won't just edit it. If somebody things a event is unfunny, let us know and we will improve it.

---

I'll create some new event lists and add them to sectors, this will balance the events out to be seen more.
Got a event, alternative text, or maybe a new sector? Add it to the Additional Events & Texts (AET) mod! Credits will be given, and you will help make a big pack of content!
Old Uncle Midwinter

Postby Old Uncle Midwinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:12 am

PvtVain: Play Star Control II - The Ur-quan Masters. Play it right now. It's free, there is literally no reason for you not to. ;) Do yourself a favor and don't download the voices, though - it's much more fun to imagine what the characters sound like. The game is legitimately hilarious, while still being tense and gripping. That being said, I'm pretty sure that All4N meant fun, as opposed to funny. Also:

[quote=PvtVain]They're suppose to slap you across the face and say "You got fucked now retry".
[/quote]

This is a very bad design philosophy, especially in roguelikes. If you've played a lot of them, you should know that nothing should come down to random chance besides chargen - which, hell, you don't even get in FTL, as FTL isn't a roguelike (unfortunately). Random deaths aren't useful in a game - they should be a result of the players deciding not to identify that phial, diving too quickly or too deeply, or becoming overconfident. Vain, even. In a game that has as little baseline content as FTL, events like these make even less sense because you already are stopped from taking your time to explore (what roguelike does that, barring entering quests at far too high a level? None, that I know of) - what you seem to be saying is that not only should I rush to each sector whenever possible, but that I should randomly be punished for... Playing the game? Not making a mistake, but... Playing the game?

Imagine in Moria if you died by walking into the general store, in Angband if you died after Chargen, in ADOM if picking up an item randomly crashed you to desktop (haha!) or if in TOME walking into a new map screen simply put you back at the title screen, maybe with a blurb of text if you're lucky. Not even a death, just a restart. Most people would consider that an error, if they were generous. Rogues - which again, unfortunately, FTL is not - are about strategy and thinking, not random chance and action.
LtSpitfire

Postby LtSpitfire » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:44 pm

I will post to remember that an unmodded ship has 30 Health, I am taking away 10-12.

You have decided to orbit a planet with a Federation Military base which most probably has been assaulted by rebels and is now under their control instead of going away, and risking yourself by an approximate 15% to get yourself blasted 33%-37% of your hull.

There are positive outcomes too, which have more % than this result.

War is never fair, even more when you're doing guerrilla runs, if you get yourself inside an enemy base, expect anal pain.
All4n

Postby All4n » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 am

I removed PvtVain from the project due to this, but I think that is his plan also:

Now I have to use my time removing this crap. Damn it...