[FTL SHIP] Rebel Hunk

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Arfy

[FTL SHIP] Rebel Hunk

Postby Arfy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:14 am

Alright after digging through my computer I found this.
I did some fixes to it, honestly... I'm not proud of this ship, this was really
lazily done :( (I had little knowledge in ship making) , but anyway here is the download link for it : http://www.mediafire.com/download/6fr1b ... f+junk.ftl

No, I will not be updating this, I have other and better ships to make than this.

Weapons: 2 Basic Lasers, 2 Breach Bombs 1

Base Image: Stage 3 Flagship

Level 3 Engines, Level 2 Doors, 1 Pilot, 2 Sensors, and Artillery beam.

There is no Mini-ship image, don't plan on doing that, nor there is a proper death animation, I don't wan't to stress myself.

This ship replaces Fed A.

This is old, 2014 to be exact, I have made many test ships, this was one of them, I had no intention of making a download for this, I have greatly improved, I know how to make custom weapons, drones, and augments,
My next ship that I will put up for download is the S.S "Hardshell", a ship with only 15 Hitpoints, but has a special type of rock plating, with 60% chance to negate damage, (as this IS made by Rocks) with 3 weapons, Overheater (x2), a Heavy Laser that fires faster, deals 1 damage, sets fires often, and cost 1 power, Overload Bomb, a bomb weapon that does 2 sys-damage, sets fires, and can stun, requires 2 power, has a custom "cloak" image, and miniship, I look foward to making it.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Arfy on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
stylesrj

Re: [FTL SHIP] Rebel Hunk

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:05 am

Hmmm, well first impressions are:

1) Isolated rooms? They better not contain anything important and just be boarder traps.
2) Some of the guns seem to be on the side. Guns don't fire sideways. Even if the guns are sideways, it still fires straight.
3) The outer glow is still the Flagships. You can see the outline of the guns. Recommend scrapping the glow and recreating it with a drop shadow or something on GIMP.
4) The guns? Two lasers and two bombs and the Vindicator Beam? Hmmm, maybe. But I might just end up selling the bombs.
5) Same goes for augments. Shield Charge Booster and Distraction Buoys? Eh, no thanks.
6) Power Distribution. One fun part of FTL is diverting power between systems. Starting with 13 power bars so everything can be used? Bad idea. I like being able to divert power from the medical Bay so my ship survives until I buy the upgrades.

7) I'm impressed how the rooms don't intersect too much with the doors.
8) Crew is alright. 4 Humans. Makes sense.

Overall, I'm not sure how the ship might fly but it does need a bit of work. And that's without having even jumped yet.
But if you're not going to fix it, then there's little point in flying it.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 am

Noticed your comment on my channel. Don't seem to be able to properly reply, so I might as well just put it here.

Sure, I do request. The problem is you said yourself the mod is rather half-assed and you don't seem to care to much about it being that way either. A lot of the stuff you mention can be fairly easily solved you know. Like the gibs and icon.
You sure you want me to do a showcase? I will point out the bad stuff as well you know...

I opened it in superluminal and in the MTE and it honors the name.
Some issues :
Weapon mounts pointing up, looks ugly, the weapons will still fire to the right.

Cloaking image is still the full flagship. Facing up.

It has artillery but no mount for it, meaning it will fire the artillery beam from the top left corner. An artillery mount is basically an 5th weapon mount. (I had the same problem with my first one)

Interior images covering doors. Personal pet peeve of mine...

Starting level of drones is set to 1, default is two. Keeping it at 1 means that if you buy the system, you'll get it at lvl1. It's only 10 scrap (vanilla game) but still...

The four disconnected rooms can be a problem if an enemy teleports into them. Since you can't upgrade your ship when they are around. Lanius do exist you know...

Manning station for doors is on the wrong tile.

Small things, but worth mentioning : Irregular room sizes (so not 2x1, 1x2 or 2x2) vent odd... as far as their indicator goes. Can be solved by using the low O2 indicator mod.

As Styles said, you shouldn't be able to power up everything from the get go here. I think lvl3 weapons would suffice. And maybe set starting reactor power so you can power up everything but medbay. Seems that's the way to go with the vanilla ships as well...

Anyway, here are your options :
Iron out some of these things yourself. You have a good amount of empty rooms left to fit systems and such.

Let me help you do them. A bit of help can go a long way. I won't do it for you, but I can tell you how to. Meaning you can do it yourself next time. And improve on the quality of your next ship mods.

Leave it as is, and call off the showcase.

Leave it as is, and continue with the showcase (which ain't going to be pretty).

By all mean though, it's nice to see that there are still people out there having fun creating mods for this game. And by no means is it my intention to take away from that or to scare you off. It's normal that a first shipmod is questionable, but it can only get better. You still have some good people on the mod forums you can reach out to and are willing to help out. Because if there's one thing we all have in common on those, it's a love for FTL and mods for it. And in all seriousness, I've seen a lot worse "first ship mods" out there.
But yes, until I get a response, I'll hold of on making a showcase as I do agree with Styles on this one.
My very first mod I made (The Anomaly) has gone through numerous updates as I learned more about FTL modding. Abandoning a project should really be avoided...

Anyway, let me know what your plan is here.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:17 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:Noticed your comment on my channel. Don't seem to be able to properly reply, so I might as well just put it here.

Sure, I do request. The problem is you said yourself the mod is rather half-assed and you don't seem to care to much about it being that way either. A lot of the stuff you mention can be fairly easily solved you know. Like the gibs and icon.
You sure you want me to do a showcase? I will point out the bad stuff as well you know...

I opened it in superluminal and in the MTE and it honors the name.
Some issues :
Weapon mounts pointing up, looks ugly, the weapons will still fire to the right.

Cloaking image is still the full flagship. Facing up.

It has artillery but no mount for it, meaning it will fire the artillery beam from the top left corner. An artillery mount is basically an 5th weapon mount. (I had the same problem with my first one)

Interior images covering doors. Personal pet peeve of mine...

Starting level of drones is set to 1, default is two. Keeping it at 1 means that if you buy the system, you'll get it at lvl1. It's only 10 scrap (vanilla game) but still...

The four disconnected rooms can be a problem if an enemy teleports into them. Since you can't upgrade your ship when they are around. Lanius do exist you know...

Manning station for doors is on the wrong tile.

Small things, but worth mentioning : Irregular room sizes (so not 2x1, 1x2 or 2x2) vent odd... as far as their indicator goes. Can be solved by using the low O2 indicator mod.

As Styles said, you shouldn't be able to power up everything from the get go here. I think lvl3 weapons would suffice. And maybe set starting reactor power so you can power up everything but medbay. Seems that's the way to go with the vanilla ships as well...

Anyway, here are your options :
Iron out some of these things yourself. You have a good amount of empty rooms left to fit systems and such.

Let me help you do them. A bit of help can go a long way. I won't do it for you, but I can tell you how to. Meaning you can do it yourself next time. And improve on the quality of your next ship mods.

Leave it as is, and call off the showcase.

Leave it as is, and continue with the showcase (which ain't going to be pretty).

By all mean though, it's nice to see that there are still people out there having fun creating mods for this game. And by no means is it my intention to take away from that or to scare you off. It's normal that a first shipmod is questionable, but it can only get better. You still have some good people on the mod forums you can reach out to and are willing to help out. Because if there's one thing we all have in common on those, it's a love for FTL and mods for it. And in all seriousness, I've seen a lot worse "first ship mods" out there.
But yes, until I get a response, I'll hold of on making a showcase as I do agree with Styles on this one.
My very first mod I made (The Anomaly) has gone through numerous updates as I learned more about FTL modding. Abandoning a project should really be avoided...

Anyway, let me know what your plan is here.

Alright I must request to cancel the showcase of this ship, I have created many test ships after this one, I have greatly improved since then, (this was made in 2014, first time making a ship), and yes about the artillery, I had no clue on how to make the artillery beam itself move to a different position, I do know how now, I know how to make custom drones, weapons, and augments, As my next upcoming ship, "S.S Hardshell".
Discord: ATLAS#9226
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:16 am

Arfy wrote:Alright I must request to cancel the showcase of this ship, I have created many test ships after this one, I have greatly improved since then, (this was made in 2014, first time making a ship), and yes about the artillery, I had no clue on how to make the artillery beam itself move to a different position, I do know how now, I know how to make custom drones, weapons, and augments, As my next upcoming ship, "S.S Hardshell".

I'll be looking forward to it.
Let me know if you need some help or when you've got a ship you think is showcase worthy.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.