No drones.
No airlocks.

A 4-man teleporter.
A 4-man medbay.
Mind control.
A painfully small ship.
A painfully difficult task.
Your brain.

These are the circumstances in the Looter ship, a ship designed not to destroy from the outside, but from the inside.

The looter is a modified Slug Assault ship designed to challenge players by making enemy ships impossible to defeat via weapons or drones. It replaces the Engi Cruiser Type A.
The only way to win is to take advantage of your diverse crew and 4-man teleporter.

WARNING: Purchasing more systems, INCLUDING A CLONE BAY, will simply waste your scrap. They will not be added to your ship.

DOUBLE WARNING: This mod makes Boarding Drones non-obtainable, as they cause crashes. Un-patch the mod to add them back in.

Videos

Co-commentary run-through by stylesrj featuring me!

Download v1.22
Mirror Link

Changelog:

Code: Select all

v1.22:
- Fixed (/added) gibs
v1.21:
- Fixed Boarding/Ion Intruder drone obtainment crashes by removing them (un-patch the mod to re-add them)
- Added metadata file for Slipstream
v1.2:
- Removed possibility to replace Medbay with Clone Bay
v1.1:
- Ship layout changed to remove 1-space subsystem rooms
v1.0:
- Initial Release

To install:
  1. Download Slipstream Mod Manager if you don't already have it.
  2. Download the mod file (The Looter.ftl) with the link above.
  3. Save the mod file to Slipstream's mods directory.
  4. Run Slipstream and patch The Looter.
Last edited by gentasaurus on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Image Image ImageImage
Gencool

Re: [SHIP][AE][v1.0] The Looter

Postby Gencool » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:49 pm

Nice!

Looks lovely, totally my kinda ship. Done a great job recolouring it.
Love that there's no airlocks; it helps prevent the 'abduction' strategy.

Quick thing; a lot of people don't like single-space rooms; they tend to break the Ui slightly when they have no oxygen.

There's two fixes; one is to replace the No Oxygen stripes (there's some existing mods that do this)

The other is to only have 2/4 space rooms. It's not always an option, but with this ship you could scootch Piloting down a space, then have Sensors placed directly above it.
It kinda ruins the flow (I really like the layout as is), but it's a definite option.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:40 am

Gencool wrote:Quick thing; a lot of people don't like single-space rooms; they tend to break the Ui slightly when they have no oxygen.

There's two fixes; one is to replace the No Oxygen stripes (there's some existing mods that do this)

The other is to only have 2/4 space rooms. It's not always an option, but with this ship you could scootch Piloting down a space, then have Sensors placed directly above it.
It kinda ruins the flow (I really like the layout as is), but it's a definite option.

Thank you for your feedback! Yeah, I wasn't really sure about how those rooms would work out, but I'll mess around with the layout a bit and see what I can do.
Image Image ImageImage
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:09 am

Gencool wrote:...with this ship you could scootch Piloting down a space, then have Sensors placed directly above it.

I ended up deciding that this was the best option. Thank you very much for your feedback, once again. I hope you enjoy the mod!
Image Image ImageImage
Gencool

Re: [SHIP][AE/CE][v1.1] The Looter

Postby Gencool » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:36 pm

I was thinking more : than .. but either's good ^^
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I think you overestimated the difficulty a bit. Played a it, doing really well. Lack of advanced defensive systems stings, but many things balance it out: you have a ton of scrap by saving on system upgrades, reactor upgrades, selling most of what you find. After picking up a clone bay, both for convenience and auto-ships, it's going really smoothly.

Or it was, until the game started crashing on me upon receiving a boarding drone:
No other mods activated. I'll just have to skip that beacon, I guess. Gonna make me dive.

And this is the end of sector 4, btw, so you can see how the ship is coming along. I don't expect major trouble, though damage taken will get a bit worse towards the end. Getting a crystal and a zoltan shield bypass to start with gives you pretty much what you need for the game, even if you didn't go for the clone bay and just ignored auto ships.

@edit
Also, finding the MC kinda useless most of the time. It's faster to just kill them. It will come in handy later, probably, when I have to break strong weapons systems on tougher ships.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Finished the run. Ended up with the perfect boarding set of augs (bypass, reconstructive, backup dna, clone bay), fully upgraded systems and 20-22 reactor between the flagship fights. It was pretty easy overall, went just below green hull, as some missiles got through, and I wasn't paying much attention at that point, left cockpit unattended for a surge or two, etc.

A good take on a 4-tile tele.
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm

meklozz wrote:I think you overestimated the difficulty a bit.

Seeing as I am a much better modder than I am player, I believe you are correct.

meklozz wrote:After picking up a clone bay, both for convenience and auto-ships, it's going really smoothly.

Well, that's a problem. I didn't intend for the clone bay to be installable. I must've forgotten to take it out. Do you think the run would have been any more difficult without it?

meklozz wrote:Or it was, until the game started crashing on me upon receiving a boarding drone:

Interesting... I didn't encounter this issue during my run. I'll take a look at it ASAP.

The Crystal and Mind Control system were just some interesting attempts at compensating for no offensive systems. However, I felt that the Zoltan Shield Bypass was a good augment to include just in case the player got very unlucky with Zoltan sectors.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed the mod!
Image Image ImageImage
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Clone bay made things simpler - to be honest, I start to play recklessly once I get it, especially on a strong ship like this where I'm not expecting trouble, and with the backup bank, too. But considering there were very few auto-scouts I couldn't get out of fighting with at least some benefit, and how much scrap I was ahead on anyway, I think it would only really matter at the flagship. But even that should be doable without any sacrifices (though tedious), at least in the first two stages.

I don't know why the crash might be happening, I got plenty different rewards, including some on-board drones, at other times. Might have been something else, but since I had no other mods, and it crashed repeatedly in the same place (didn't break the save, so it was just a matter of restarting the game).. Cargo wasn't full or anything, either.

You're right, bypass especially is very important for the end-game, would be quite a lottery otherwise.. With MC, I think it's cool. It isn't too useful, as the boarding does a good job all by itself, but it fills the ship out nicely if you don't want to allow any other extra systems.
Crystal.. makes the ship much stronger. Without one, the ship wouldn't be nearly as fast at killing crews, so, with no support to take out systems, you'd have to spend a lot of time taking enemy fire. At the same time, it might not be entirely necessary, or at least it would be possible to play around with the idea of substituting something else for that role, like hacking, or some custom lockdown artillery, or whatever.
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:16 pm

meklozz wrote:I don't know why the crash might be happening, I got plenty different rewards, including some on-board drones, at other times. Might have been something else, but since I had no other mods, and it crashed repeatedly in the same place (didn't break the save, so it was just a matter of restarting the game).. Cargo wasn't full or anything, either.

I can confirm that any event providing a boarding drone causes the game to hang. Will investigate further.

meklozz wrote:Crystal.. makes the ship much stronger. Without one, the ship wouldn't be nearly as fast at killing crews, so, with no support to take out systems, you'd have to spend a lot of time taking enemy fire. At the same time, it might not be entirely necessary, or at least it would be possible to play around with the idea of substituting something else for that role, like hacking, or some custom lockdown artillery, or whatever.

The Crystal mechanic is something I've been experimenting with. Perhaps I could replace it with maybe a luck-based lockdown artillery or something. I will mess around with some ideas.

As for the Clone Bay, I'll remove it in the next update and see how things go. I'll continue to build off user feedback, of course.

Thanks again!
Image Image ImageImage