New Master Mod List for AE Compatible Mods?

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

New Master Mod List for AE Compatible Mods?

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Titles says it. What do you think about this? The old list kind of lost its function, as the broad majority of mods where not compatible with AE and digging through it just lead to abandoned mods for the most part. But without a master mod list people have no way to get an overview of the mods available for AE.

Would there be anyone ready to curate that list?
kartoFlane

Re: New Master Mod List for AE Compatible Mods?

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Some time ago I've made a publicly editable, Google Drive-based list -- you can view and modify it here. It gets automatically cleaned up and backed up every day at midnight.
I dunno if it's any good, any suggestions are welcome.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
el Rago

Postby el Rago » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:57 pm

I am definitively up for this one, should make things more organized.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 pm

kartoFlane, I like your spreadsheet! To be honest I was thinking of making one myself, but it looks like you beat me to it!

I'd sort by category first though--Total Conversions first on the list, followed by cosmetic changes, followed by ship mods.
I'd put the ships themselves into different categories, too, IMO. A category for "Overpowered ships", a category for "fighter-type small ships", a category for "Federation Flagships", and a category for those that don't fit in the above three, so that it's easier to find different ship types.

the federation flagship category was a joke but only partially a joke
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:59 am

+1 on this. ;)

I would wager 3/4 of the mods don't work anymore. :(

Also, apparently the old Master Mod List has exceeded the text limit. :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't even know there was a text limit!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:48 am

kartoFlane wrote:Some time ago I've made a publicly editable, Google Drive-based list -- you can view and modify it here. It gets automatically cleaned up and backed up every day at midnight.
I dunno if it's any good, any suggestions are welcome.

I don't know, would you suggest simply linking to the list and leave it to the users to put their mods in themselves? Could work I guess, but requires some degree of general cooperation. Thoughts?

NarnKar wrote:I'd sort by category first though--Total Conversions first on the list, followed by cosmetic changes, followed by ship mods.
I'd put the ships themselves into different categories, too, IMO. A category for "Overpowered ships", a category for "fighter-type small ships", a category for "Federation Flagships", and a category for those that don't fit in the above three, so that it's easier to find different ship types.

I find that a little finicky, as I can't see who is to "evaluate" if a specific ship is "overpowered". I guess it could be left to the modders to choose their category though.

Another nice thing to include would be the mods that received AE compatibility patches. The patches could be linked separately.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
NarnKar wrote:I'd put the ships themselves into different categories, too, IMO. A category for "Overpowered ships", a category for "fighter-type small ships", a category for "Federation Flagships", and a category for those that don't fit in the above three, so that it's easier to find different ship types.

I find that a little finicky, as I can't see who is to "evaluate" if a specific ship is "overpowered". I guess it could be left to the modders to choose their category though.

Another nice thing to include would be the mods that received AE compatibility patches. The patches could be linked separately.

I think a really good category though would be for ships based on the FTL "lore." Or mods in general based on the FTL lore. So Captains Edition and all the ships it uses would be in this category.

While a Millennium Falcon ship mod, a Serenity ship mod, or a Star Trek Total Conversion would be in a different category.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I don't know, would you suggest simply linking to the list and leave it to the users to put their mods in themselves? Could work I guess, but requires some degree of general cooperation. Thoughts?

That was the idea, yes. I'd rather not be left in charge of keeping the list up to date.

IMO it's better to leave it up to individual mod authors to place their mod in the list by following the style already in place (even if not, the spreadsheet has a script that runs every 24h that applies a predetermined style & formatting).
If someone trolls the list, I can restore it using backups that go up to two weeks back (provided that someone informs me that the list got trolled)

Russian Rockman wrote:I think a really good category though would be for ships based on the FTL "lore." Or mods in general based on the FTL lore. So Captains Edition and all the ships it uses would be in this category.

Hm, I dunno. I'd rather keep the categories broad and distinct, though I see why having multiple ship categories would be reasonable, given the sheer amount of ship mods. I guess we just need a good classification.
I'm still kinda looking for a better/broader name for "Weapons" that's also clear :?
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Sounds good to me. IMO the primary goals of the list should be a) giving modders a way to keep their creations accessible beyond a fast fading release post and b) giving players a easy way to get an overview of the available mods. Categories are helpful and I think the easiest way would be to allow people to categorize their stuff themselves, maybe by applying various tags like total conversion, guns, events, star wars or something like that?

kartoFlane wrote:I'm still kinda looking for a better/broader name for "Weapons" that's also clear :?

Ship Gear/Equipment?
marksteele

Postby marksteele » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:45 am

heh, no way I'm making another list. I had no idea it would end up this big when I started it tbh. Also some general feedback for the person making the spreadsheet. beware of opening up your spreadsheet to global edits. The more popular a thing is the more open to trolling/advertising it is.

Originally I had a few people vetting mods for compatibility and such but given the sheer number of mods nowadays that's not really a viable option.