[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Thunderr

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.2.2

Postby Thunderr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Kieve wrote:Trolls will be jettisoned from the airlock.

Hah!
Dewdrop

Postby Dewdrop » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Many thanks OP, Dropbox download works perfectly! :)
mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:22 am

Kieve, I love your ship, and joined both to say thanks for making such a great ship, and to offer my services as a custom-sprite-maker. :lol:

I've never taken on a project like creating custom ship interiors, but I have done a lot of pixel art (my deviantart page if interested). I immediately noticed the custom sprite for the piloting system, and was curious as to why the rest didn't match it until I read through this thread.

I don't really want to start on something like that without knowing if you're still interested, so if you are, please let me know. :D I'd be glad to do it just to pay you back for the hard work you put into this great ship.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:15 pm

mikekearn wrote:Kieve, I love your ship, and joined both to say thanks for making such a great ship, and to offer my services as a custom-sprite-maker. :lol:

I've never taken on a project like creating custom ship interiors, but I have done a lot of pixel art (my deviantart page if interested). I immediately noticed the custom sprite for the piloting system, and was curious as to why the rest didn't match it until I read through this thread.

I don't really want to start on something like that without knowing if you're still interested, so if you are, please let me know. :D I'd be glad to do it just to pay you back for the hard work you put into this great ship.

I actually tried poking at a Weapons Room myself recently, mostly to see if I could nudge myself back to working on anything FTL-related (didn't work very well, but did make a little progress).
If you want to give it a try, you are more than welcome to. :) Use the Pilot's Room as a palette base - anything you can manage that's a decent combination of mechanical and crystalline I'd be interested in seeing.

Side-note: Been thinking about adding a new Obsidian ship to the roster, along with weaponry. I have yet to try my hand at anything in the Artillery vein, so I might give that a try. Might.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I know this mod has been comatose for eons, but given all the advances in FTL modding since it was created, I've been rethinking some of my designs and pondering an update.
No promises right now, just thoughts on things I might tweak, improve, or add given the time and motivation to do so.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 pm

There is no such thing as a perfect ship. If you "fix" some gameplay aspect you may ruin the mod globally. I don't remember Lucas getting many thanks for "fixing" Star Wars.

The Obsidian is one of the slower paced ships, but it's well planned and executed. Compare the gameplay speed of Stealth B and Kestrel B. Yet neither needs a fix. ;)

Glad to hear you have some modding mojo again though. Who knows, maybe your ideas are valuable, but there's allways room for an Obsidian B, or an alternative design.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm

UltraMantis wrote:There is no such thing as a perfect ship. If you "fix" some gameplay aspect you may ruin the mod globally. I don't remember Lucas getting many thanks for "fixing" Star Wars.

The Obsidian is one of the slower paced ships, but it's well planned and executed. Compare the gameplay speed of Stealth B and Kestrel B. Yet neither needs a fix. ;)

Glad to hear you have some modding mojo again though. Who knows, maybe your ideas are valuable, but there's allways room for an Obsidian B, or an alternative design.

Most of my tweaks so far have been minimal or back-end stuff. Trying to iron out some bugs at the moment, and getting the hang of that <mod-append> SMM tag stuff - the flipside of which is, 1.3 would require SMM to install this time around.

From the readme:
=========================================
Changelog
=========================================

Version 1.3
-New room images for Weapons & Cloaking
-Ship no longer begins with Cloaking*
-Doors reduced to level 1
-Room IDs have been reorganized.
--There is no visible difference in layout, but systemless rooms are now highest on room ID list.
--This should hopefully prevent the O2 room from being targeted all the time.
-Music! Because why the hell not.

*I am definitely reconsidering this one. Though admittedly, my test-run involved an asteroid field, zoltan-shielded pirate with a missile / burst I combo, and a beam drone - and I had only one shield layer. Still survived, so make of that what you will I suppose.

EDIT: I should also add, reorganizing the room IDs did not save the O2 room any abuse. It's still a magnet for enemy fire, so I'm thinking it may just be the position it's in.
Further investigation of files shows Superliminal is reorganizing the room IDs according to their position, and not order of placement. *facedesk* Ah well. I built those rooms manually, and I can rebuild them manually.
Second edit: FINALLY got the bloody music working. It's slated to appear in Pirate, Civilian, Rock (both Home and Sector) and Crystal sectors
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 am

I feel sooooo mean.

I started this mod after I played almost every other mod out there, (and made a few of my own), because I saw it in one of Vanguard's playthroughs and I didn't think I would like it.

I would like to invent a time machine, go back in time, and punch myself for not playing this mod.

The ship looks cool, the guns are FANTASTIC, and you're still making more? Great!

Why I feel mean? Well.....

Singularity Projector + Glaive Beam + Weapon Pre-Igniter + Automated Re-loader = Easiest Flagship battle EVER!

*Sigh*

Oh, and I still had the Pulse Disruptor and a Heavy Laser Mk. I for backup.

I wish I played this earlier so I could have voted for it on greatest mods of all time list.

So yeah.

:D
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:41 am

ClockALock wrote:I feel sooooo mean.

I started this mod after I played almost every other mod out there, (and made a few of my own), because I saw it in one of Vanguard's playthroughs and I didn't think I would like it.

I would like to invent a time machine, go back in time, and punch myself for not playing this mod.

The ship looks cool, the guns are FANTASTIC, and you're still making more? Great!

Why I feel mean? Well.....

Singularity Projector + Glaive Beam + Weapon Pre-Igniter + Automated Re-loader = Easiest Flagship battle EVER!

*Sigh*

Oh, and I still had the Pulse Disruptor and a Heavy Laser Mk. I for backup.

I wish I played this earlier so I could have voted for it on greatest mods of all time list.

So yeah.

:D

All that matters to me is that you enjoyed it :) Given that the Retribution has been around for very nearly as long as FTL modding itself, I certainly won't fault you for overlooking it.
And yes, with an Elite crewmember at the weapons console and an auto-reloader (or two) to offset the SP's charging time, it can be a very mean ship indeed. Next to complete game-changers like CE or Infinite Space however, I'd hardly call it a "greatest mod of all time."
Or maybe that's just me being modest, who knows.

Also good news: I manually reworked the room IDs and it at least seems to me like the O2 room isn't getting annihilated all the time anymore.
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Postby Kieve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:01 am

I'd held off doing this because at the time I thought I was going to finish up with "unique" room sprites.
Seems that hasn't happened, but there's no reason I need to keep hiding the update under my hat.

So for those who're interested, here's some of the dust brushed off this old beast.

Readme v1.3 wrote:-New room images for Weapons & Cloaking
-Doors reduced to level 1
-Room IDs have been reorganized.
--There is no visible difference in layout, but systemless rooms are now highest on room ID list.
--This should hopefully prevent the O2 room from being targeted all the time.
-Music! Because why the hell not.

NOTE: You must use Slipstream to install 1.3.
The update makes use of some of the "advanced" insertion tags SMM enables, and trying to use GMM will result in errors. The older GMM-compatible v1.2.2 will remain available however.

Let me know if I've overlooked any catastrophic or game-breaking bugs. I tested playthroughs of my own, but that's not always a guarantee.
New music can be heard in the following sectors:
  • Civilian
  • Pirate
  • Rock Sector
  • Rock Homeworld
  • Crystal
Music plays sequentially and the "Obsidian Void (Explore)" / "Obsidian Vengeance (Combat)" tracks will play last in any of these sectors, meaning if you rush through them you likely won't hear it.