[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Warhawx

Re: [MOD-WIP] Obsidian Cruiser

Postby Warhawx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 am

What crew will it start with? I don't think it should start with blast doors II though, with it having weapon IV. Perhaps it would have only 3 weapon slots to offset that? How will it deal with Zoltan shields? Maybe it should start with ion bomb and a Burst laser II, with only 3 in weapons and the gravity well unable to be powered until weapons is further upgraded?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Warhawx wrote:What crew will it start with? I don't think it should start with blast doors II though, with it having weapon IV. Perhaps it would have only 3 weapon slots to offset that? How will it deal with Zoltan shields? Maybe it should start with ion bomb and a Burst laser II, with only 3 in weapons and the gravity well unable to be powered until weapons is further upgraded?

-Crew: 1 Crystal for certain. Will get one other crew member, maybe two. Figure Engi since it's replacing the Engi-B anyway.
-Zoltan Shields? Unless you pick up or buy another weapon before you meet them, use the cloaking device, keep your shields up, and pray they don't have missiles. Also, run.
-Ion + Burst 2? God no. For the energy cost, those are way OP, particularly on early game. I'm not looking to make this ship easy to win with, at least right off the bat. I want to make it interesting to play, even if it means having to run from a fight on occasion.
-3 Weapon slots? Worth thinking about. Would probably end up needing 3x drone to compensate for later on though.
-When I said Blast Doors, I meant it'd be just the first door upgrade, two bars in door subsystem - not maxed. And this one's a given - the ship is meant to be tough and mean, and while I don't have a solid backstory for it, I can't envision its creators installing less than that. You'll still need to shell out scrap for Doors 3, if you want them.

Thank you for the input though, definitely some things there worth considering. I have a hard time trying to consider "Balance" against such an arbitrary RNG.
nemod

Postby nemod » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Hey I just need to ask you a question. When you replace the ship in-game, it seems you can't move/change the engine exhaust. I've looked through every XML file for this and can't find it referenced anywhere.
louistodd

Postby louistodd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Id be happy to play test when your ready. A suggestion would be when its cloaked everything man made (machinery, metal bits and rooms) should be cloaked leaving an obsidian asteroid look. :mrgreen:
louistodd

Postby louistodd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Friday beta release :P?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 pm

nemod wrote:Hey I just need to ask you a question. When you replace the ship in-game, it seems you can't move/change the engine exhaust. I've looked through every XML file for this and can't find it referenced anywhere.

... :shock: Dammit you're right. I mean, I know it's gotta be possible somehow but I'm not finding it either.
Well... crap. I know there's a solution, I'm just hoping it's not "overwrite Thrusters_on.png with a blank file" because that would suck. I'm having a look at MattsterT's Serenity mod to see if that's how he solved the issue, or if there's something else in there that can be changed...

louistodd wrote:Id be happy to play test when your ready. A suggestion would be when its cloaked everything man made (machinery, metal bits and rooms) should be cloaked leaving an obsidian asteroid look. :mrgreen:

Hah, I like it. It's sneaky :lol: If I didn't have the cloaked image done already I'd totally do that. And yes, still finishing up some bits but I should have it all done by this evening.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Ship is complete (gibs included)! Now for the rooms... :?
Will update the topic title when I have the beta ready.
And yes, it'll be GMM-compatible.
hobo0077

Postby hobo0077 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 pm

I love the idea and i applaud your work. Can't wait to see the results. P.S. any chance of having a full Crystal crew. since they seem to be the most advance race it would be fitting.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:46 am

My apologies for the delay. Ship is currently in "room testing" to make sure each room actually links up correctly. The room layout is pretty botched right now but I'm slowly getting the kinks ironed out to make it at least playable. Release shall be forthcoming very shortly! :!:
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser (Beta)

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:10 am

The Obsidian Cruiser has entered the fray! Now to get to work on those weapons...