[Ship][AE] The Cobra 0.7

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
doge

[Ship][AE] The Cobra 0.7

Postby doge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:20 am

hey all,
this is a mantis ship called the Cobra. It is a rather challenging ship to play, starting with 2 mantis (mantises? mantii? manatees?), a teleporter, and level 2 mind control.
this is also my first mod I've shared (more to come). please let me know what you think.

Pictures
hulls:
http://imgur.com/a/ceGkl
in game:
http://imgur.com/eCv66Dc

If enough people want the red version, I'll upload it when I get a chance.
Edit: red version now available

Systems
•Pilot: III
•Sensors: I
•Doors: I
•Weapons: I
•Engines: III
•Shields: II
•Life Support: I
•Medbay: I
•Mind Control: II
•Teleporter: I

Crew
2x mantis

Weapons
•none

Download
Green
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eprujpw1qh3m6 ... a_0.7G.ftl

Red:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3alcf7tcuc2o ... a_0.7R.ftl

To do:
•add floor image
•Gibs...?

thanks for checking this out. please, let me know what you think.
Last edited by doge on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper Service

Re: [Ship][AE] The Cobra 0.6

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Hey dodge

Looks like a very solid first mod to me. The hull design looks very natural and the shading is well done as well. I personally prefer vanilla colors so I like the red variant a little better, but that just my taste. I think people would like to see the room layout as well, to get a full impression of the ship.

I like that the ships is challenging and also tries something new with forcing a mind control assisted boarding tactic for the early game. The engines beef up the defense early on, but that wont help if you have no one to man engines aboard. So I wonder if the ship isn't a little to defenseless early one, especially against missiles. Giving it a (custom?) defense drone might be something to consider. Shield Overcharger would also be possible, that would definitely be a new boarding play-style to start with... boarding assisted with mind control, while the supershield blocks missiles.
doge

Re: [Ship][AE] The Cobra 0.6

Postby doge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Hey dodge

Looks like a very solid first mod to me. The hull design looks very natural and the shading is well done as well. I personally prefer vanilla colors so I like the red variant a little better, but that just my taste. I think people would like to see the room layout as well, to get a full impression of the ship.

I like that the ships is challenging and also tries something new with forcing a mind control assisted boarding tactic for the early game. The engines beef up the defense early on, but that wont help if you have no one to man engines aboard. So I wonder if the ship isn't a little to defenseless early one, especially against missiles. Giving it a (custom?) defense drone might be something to consider. Shield Overcharger would also be possible, that would definitely be a new boarding play-style to start with... boarding assisted with mind control, while the supershield blocks missiles.

Thanks for the feedback! I thought about a drone system, but I decided against it because that wouldn't give you a way to buy hacking /cloaking. It might be an interesting ship though... instead i went with level 3 autopilot, which seems to be enough to last until you can get another crewmember. I also added the red variant, though I think I might change it to a 'B' type... maybe with the drone system like you said. now i'm thinking - would it be possible to start a ship without a weapons system? can you still buy it in stores? and would that let you get another special system? :?:
I think the only thing left now are gibs... which I don't know how to do because I'm using superluminal.
jonathino001

Re: [Ship][AE] The Cobra 0.7

Postby jonathino001 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 am

Mind control assisted boarding would be a poor choice given the ships options. Abduction is a better option to ensure you don't leave the ship stranded.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 am

I, for one, Like the "fresh" green look opf the ship - after all, we had red, blue, and... Well, mixed layouts of Mantis ships as A, B, or C variants, and AE introduced similar colors of Mantises. It's safe to assume, that their layout colours just resemble skin variants (maybe of some famous warriors?).

I think that drone control on Mantis ships is a little over-used concept. Indeed ship is a little defense-less against missiles (or even lasers) early on - maybe it could get a 4 engines? It still wouldn't be too OP with piloting lvl 3, considering the penalties for no manned piloting and engines, and even if player gets additional crew, it doesn't make THAT much difference (45 scrap equivalent).

I thought about reducing Mind Control to 1 in turn, but it's so cheap to upgrade anyway, that it would be more irritating than balancing. BTW, I really like the concept of mind-control assisted Mantis boarding ship. Not to mention that I LOVE how challenging and non-OP it is.

/Estel
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 am

The link is dead - does anyone have local copy of last version? Could it get uploaded somewhere, please? I will gladly host it on my mediashare, afterwards.
porcu93

Postby porcu93 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:47 pm

Thankfully the imgur link still has the images of the hull, the cloak, the layout and the starting setup available. I recreated both colors of the Cobra, but I wasn't sure where the weapon mounts and the missing systems would have been, so I guessed and put them where I think they would fit. I've also added the Mantis Pheromones augment, as it is a Mantis ship.
Here's the Green variant: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ysDSjjU_01-gK8d1hZa50t1RsU7mUVQy/view?usp=sharing
Here's the Red variant: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0KdOAzyb_t0n8p0pI_w1ihGIOzhQ9aO/view?usp=sharing