[MOD] Stations Job 1.21

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: [MOD][WIP] Stations Job

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm

RAD-82 wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:I sort of like RAD-82's idea of your station being in the Last Stand

I was never here; never made a suggestion. I guess there is too many people on this forum to keep them straight. :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: I very much like R4V3-ON's idea of your station being in the Last Stand. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. :cry: :roll: Your names both start with R's... Love you both!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Fri May 09, 2014 8:10 pm

This mod is quite interesting!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat May 10, 2014 1:11 am

Russian Rockman wrote:
RAD-82 wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:I sort of like RAD-82's idea of your station being in the Last Stand

I was never here; never made a suggestion. I guess there is too many people on this forum to keep them straight. :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: I very much like R4V3-ON's idea of your station being in the Last Stand. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. :cry: :roll: Your names both start with R's... Love you both!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't worry, I forgive you :D
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Distress beacon:
Just in case you didn't know, you have to change the name of the Distress Beacon in the iPad folder's images, not the map images...

Thanks, I never looked in that folder because of the name.

Sleeper Service wrote:Just a though: It might be worth to check if req="reactor" lvl="x" works. That would be awesome, cause this way you could gauge the players upgrade progress very directly, which in return would allow you to simulate dynamic enemy progression.

Genius! and it works! It's clear, I'm going to use the reactor level when spawning enemies now.
And answering the question of evasion once more, they will probably still be limited to 1 power, but I'll disable engines during some battles to offer 0% evasion occasionally as it was suggested.

And here are two screenshots to show you the visual progress:
There's this strange triangle notice near the hull bar that bothers, any idea what it is?
http://i.imgur.com/dtcYR0i.png
http://i.imgur.com/WTcT6JP.png?1
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 am

stargateprovider wrote:And here are two screenshots to show you the visual progress:
There's this strange triangle notice near the hull bar that bothers, any idea what it is?

Normally that is where the warning text for low hull would be. Maybe it is related to the non vanilla amount of base hull? Does it appear as well if you set it to 30?

This is already looking quite fine. Have you considered how exactly you want to scale the enemies? Like in which steps? I guess imitating roughly the vanilla scaling with eight scale levels would be possible. That already would be a lot of busy work. Enemies could even slightly scale for each power level acquired (25 slightly different enemy levels...) but I guess that won't be necessary.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun May 11, 2014 2:23 am

I know the weapons aren't final but the placement of some weapons look a tad sloppy.

That and the images look a bit fuzzy, for the weapons and station, on the edges.

I think you copy pasted the images on haven't you? that's the only idea I got as to why you didn't rotate the image and some fuzzyness.

If not then I am not sure, it just looks fuzzy to me on the edges.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 am

Alright here goes... Let's see if I can remember to cover everything I wanted to. :roll:

MAP: Good job on the map. I like the way it says station beacon and turns green instead of red. You might like the open sign, but you might be able to also have a (I don't know what the exact right term is so...) "Bat Signal" type light coming from the station that is either green or red (or nothing) depending on whether the signal is on or off.

How are you planning on using the signal in game? I would think you could use the "No Fuel" text list to spawn most normal events, you could turn on the signal to attract everyone good, bad, traders, pirates, Rebels, Feds. And when you turn it off you have a higher chance of being left alone and maybe you could take the time to make some free repairs to your hull or something, maybe only the Fed will be able to find you when the Beacon is off but occasionally Rebels will stumble across you, I'm not entirely sure.

ENGINES: Having 1 power in Engines is necessary so I am fine with having at least a small evasion chance, I would say either limit engines in every hostile event or leave them on all the time for consistency. I accept your explanation that they might be able to miss you on their own, but being able to increase your evasion by having a pilot and engine man is a bit strange. Also, since you can't actually dodge, very well at least, you are going to take lot's of hits and so you'll need your crew to repair systems, breaches, and put out fires more, which should actually add an interesting dynamic and be very fun. Which brings me to my next item...

REPAIRS AND HULL: Since you will always have access to a store you will always be able to repair after a fight. I thought this would be imbalanced at first, but then I thought about it some more. Since it costs scrap it might not be a good idea because then you will never have enough scrap to upgrade your other systems and you will eventually die. So there will be this constant decision making of should you repair your hull or should you upgrade your systems, sometimes you might not have enough scrap to make repairs. Just like in vanilla FTL you will probably be leaving your hull at &60-75 in hopes of finding an event that will let you make cheap or free repairs.

If you want to increase the maximum hull strength of the station I would say use 60 instead of 35, because 35 is just awkward, or just stick to 30. Here is a mod that created alternate hull strength indicators for other people to download and use, you could use one of them: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21578

I talked about how turning the Station beacon off might allow you to make some repairs for cheap or free. This could be a good strategy to wait until you have about half hull and then try to make some free repairs.

STORE & UPGRADES: Have you tested the "ship inspector" thing where the store changes whenever a certain event happens? I'm just concerned about this working since it didn't wok when I did it a different way. :|

From an event standpoint you could also have the event be an event where a trader comes to your ship and "restocks" your supplies, unloads new passengers, etc... Meaning you know have new stuff available. New merchants have set up shop in your station.

I think that using the reactor to track progress is a genius idea. I was wondering if the reactor actually worked like the other systems.

As far as how many "Levels" of enemies you could have some thing like (10 or less)-(10-12)-(12-14)-(14-16)-(16-18)-(18-20)-(20-22)-(22-25), that's 8 levels. Or you could have half as many levels and just have increments of 4 instead.

As far as rewards for enemies go... The only thing that seems to increase each sector is the amount of scrap, not the resources they give. So I would actually say, keep the dynamic rewards, ("LOW" "MEDIUM" "HIGH" "WEAPON" "DRONE" etc...) and just add a bit of scrap for higher level enemies in addition. So level 2 would give 5 extra, 3 would give, 10 extra, that's just an example though.

And by adding events that give you free reactor upgrades you will have the same "push factor" as in normal FTL . It won't be too hard to create different difficulties in this way. You'll just have eight different text lists for each difficulty.

SHIP GRAPHICS AND UI: It looks like the station is working OK the vertical way it is now, but the weapon mount's are a bit wonky. You could rotate the station the same direction as the other player ships. it would actually be pretty cool to see them from that angle.

You could also remove the red warning for no fuel and just replace it with the normal graphic so you don't think you have a problem.

And I'm not sure what exactly is the cause of that weird triangle, but I'm pretty sure that triangle image is located loose (knot in a sub-folder') in the images file. It's called "null resource" or something. You could replace the image with a fully transparent image and that should fix it.

OTHER STUFF: You'll probably be using all of CE's stations so that will give you 7 different stations for each of the different factions. Sleeper just created a new AI station too so maybe you could use that one as well. That is eight. The only thing you'll need is a Crystal station and one other station, maybe you could make a stealth station?

To make all of the stations be able to use all of the different systems though you will need at least 14 rooms on each. (10 main systems (Medbay & Clonebay are the same) + 4 Subsystems). Luckily the federation station already has 14 rooms, unless you want to have an artillery stem and a blank "docking bay". Of course you could do what the Peregrine custom ship did and make the doors room the docking bay. ;)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun May 11, 2014 10:37 am

i am making a crystal station soon, the ai station can be the stealth cruiser replacement, fed cruiser can be replaced by rebel one, if you think it'll fit.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 10:43 am

R4V3-0N wrote:i am making a crystal station soon, the ai station can be the stealth cruiser replacement, fed cruiser can be replaced by rebel one, if you think it'll fit.

That's actually a really good idea. I forgot that Sleeper also made a station for Rebels. There's the 10 stations then! I can't wait to see your Crystal station by the way.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun May 11, 2014 11:33 am

Okay.

I have a question, Do you want it do be the size of an enemy ship, or player ship (large).

because I want to know how much space I can work with.

edit:

Well to late to respond guys, I already made the hull for it. (it's facing same way as enemy, but for your mod it literally doesn't matter which way the station is facing technically)

Hope you like it. I will made the type B and gibs later, tomorrow.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.