[SHIP] Assault Frigates (UPDATED)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
StromblaaD

[SHIP] Assault Frigates (UPDATED)

Postby StromblaaD » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Another cut-and-shut job made by slicing hulls together. :lol:

Made using the excellent Superluminal editor by KartoFlane. This program is fantastic. You really should download it and play with it if you haven't already.

Has working gibs and custom room images, too. Replaces Slug A.
Starts with Dual Laser I, Artemis Missiles and Mini Beam
Starting augment is Long-range Scanners

This is (sort of) still a work in progress. I mean, everything works fine, but I might go back over the images again and remove any more imperfections. But I'm lazy, so I might not.

If there are any issues, please tell me so I'm able to correct them.

I think that's everything. If I missed anything, feel free to shout at me in the comments.

IMAGES

DOWNLOAD
Albatross Class Assault Frigate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8002zk26tzu9j ... rigate.ftl

TYPE TWO

Mercenary Attack Frigate

IMAGES

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udih208a6nc6b ... ate%20.ftl

TYPE THREE

Pirate Frigate
This ship replaces Slug B.

IMPORTANT: This ship has non-standard room sizes. Because FTL does not support 1x1 room images, you may wish to download this mod to workaround this issue.

Although not a Rock ship, it starts with the Rock Plating augment. This is so the ship is able to do the piracy events found in Captain's Edition without the repercussions, crew disagreements, ect.

IMAGES

DOWNLOAD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uashcxfy3q4co ... rigate.ftl

COMING SOON

FIXES
1: Drone system now has drone slots
2: Slight changes made to base image
3: Issue where crew would not use certain doors resolved
4: Renamed because I felt like it
5: More minor augmentation to base image
6: Added type two
7: Changed shield image for type two
8: Changed some room images for type two - also edited glow images to fit
9: Minor augmentation to type two hull image
10: Gave type two miniship image and adjusted room graphics & glows
11: Added Pirate Frigate
12: COMING SOON: REBEL FRIGATE -I also plan on doing drone and militia frigates at some point
Last edited by StromblaaD on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Sleeper Service

Re: [SHIP] Fed Assault Frigate

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Sẃeet hull image. You did I fine job with the shadows there. Thumbs up! I also like how the Rebel fighter main bow end in this Rigger part. And the whole hull is a nice in-between thing between Rebel and Fed design.

If you still want to improve the design you could improve the grey underlying floor image, to outline the rooms more clear or add some details. But thats really just a minor thing.

It also has an interesting all-round loadout, with enough fire-power to surpass the Redtail. Might be a little powerful for the start.

The floorplan is nicely structured and "realistic", just my taste. It gives away a little that you did not take room size into account when modelling the hull (room-plan is set to fit the cockpit on the hull image, but then rooms in midsection are off centre). Something to take into account for the next ship? I'm sure that will be great as well. Keep up the great work!
StromblaaD

Postby StromblaaD » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:lots of text

Thanks! It's good to have actually made something myself instead of using someone else's hull images. And the feedback's more than helpful.

Unrelated, but Captain's Edition is the best mod ever. I made me fall back in love with FTL and inspired all this playing around with mods. So, yeah, cheers for that!
Desolator

Re: [SHIP] Fed Assault Frigate (UPDATED)

Postby Desolator » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 am

How do you unlock it? Because I can't get it in the start?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 pm

This mod replaces Slug A and B type cruisers. You need to have those unlocked before you can play this mod. To unlock the Slugs, you will have to travel to the Slug Homeworlds and discover a secret quest there.

Yeah, copy/paste reply. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
StromblaaD

Postby StromblaaD » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Type Two added - If there's any problems please notify me! :D
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

I was destined to win but got destroyed. Is that aproblem report? :D

http://www.twitch.tv/frumple1/c/3515779

Good work, it's a fun ship. Kinda OP but i combined it with Technophobia and Living of the Land requirements for balance. It almost worked. ;)
StromblaaD

Postby StromblaaD » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I was destined to win but got destroyed. Is that aproblem report? :D

http://www.twitch.tv/frumple1/c/3515779

Good work, it's a fun ship. Kinda OP but i combined it with Technophobia and Living of the Land requirements for balance. It almost worked. ;)

That sounds like a problem to me. ;)

Thanks! Are the weapons OP? Or is it the layouts and stuff?

I've also updated it - fixed a few dodgy glow images (hopefully) and chosen a better shield.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 pm

It's really hard to say. The ship looks and feels like a powerhouse, which may invite some to criticise it as OP. OTOH less experienced player will appreciate a stonger ship. Balance is probably a moot point anyway. I say the ship is FUN to play and that overrides all balance issues.

That said any ship that has a 4-person tele is OP as hell by default xD Combine that with a very good starting weapon loadout and it would take effort to lose a game. I found a way though, but i'm special that way. :)
StromblaaD

Postby StromblaaD » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 pm

UltraMantis wrote:It's really hard to say. The ship looks and feels like a powerhouse, which may invite some to criticise it as OP. OTOH less experienced player will appreciate a stonger ship. Balance is probably a moot point anyway. I say the ship is FUN to play and that overrides all balance issues.

That said any ship that has a 4-person tele is OP as hell by default xD Combine that with a very good starting weapon loadout and it would take effort to lose a game. I found a way though, but i'm special that way. :)

Four-man teleporters are OP? But.. but my boarding parties! :cry:

I feel balance is my worst point. I've made a load of ships for myself out of stuff from Captain's Ed and the vanilla game and they always end up blitzing through the first couple of sectors but then getting ruined by mid/late game enemies.

Of course, that could be down to me sucking at games, but I'd like to have some kind of excuse. ;)