sM Polish Kit: Insurrection v1.6 [CE Support + Modules]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit [Currently adapting mod for AE]

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:08 am

Work on adapting the kit for Advanced Edition is now underway. I'll be taking this as slowly as I can to make sure I get everything right the first time. I have no reason to believe anything in the current 'kit will work with AE, so until then, do not use any mods/modules within it. When I manage to achieve compatibility, I will start to re-release parts of the kit. Until then, bear with me.
ImageImage
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit [Currently adapting mod for AE]

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 am

Progress is coming along slowly. I will make the experimental build of the 'kit available for others to try and help with pointing out flaws, as well as address potential balance issues. Currently, the changelog sits at:

Code: Select all

# The previous new graphics for weapons such as the missile launchers have been re-implemented.
# The Burst Laser III and IV are back, as well as the Player-variant Hermes missiles and other sMPK-tweaked equipment.
# The graphics on The Fregatidae (FederationC) were altered to fix the starboard engine, as well as add the animated artillery weapon graphic. A custom graphic might be created as it is no longer a beam, but a Flak weapon.
# Descriptions for all the old content were reimplemented and new content was adapted to fit ths format.
# Weapon/drone prices were reworked to fit the new pricing model.
# System upgrade prices were reimplemented.
# Crew graphics were realigned with the center of HUD and screen elements.
# The shrunken font used for crew members and weapons was reimplemented.
# The graphic used in the weapons array for showing weapons that use missiles was changed back to the old style. (the new one is too big and honestly doesn't look that good)
# The tweaked system icon graphics were reimplemented.
# The re-segmented Hull meter for enemies that shows hull in groups of 4 was reimplemented.
# The graphic used for Charge weapons was altered.
# The reworked Mini-Ship images were reimplemented, and the Mini-Ship images for KestrelC, FederationC and StealthC were altered.
# The floor graphic for the KestrelB was fixed and realigned. The old floor graphics cannot be used yet as the way they are handled has changed, and I have yet to unlock all the new ships.
# The Stealth Cruiser Type C was flipped upside-down to maintain lighting consistency with the other Stealth Cruisers as well as every other ship.
# The tooltips were reworked and updated for the new systems.
# Sector data was updated to work with the new stats and to add possible compatability with an Augmened Weapons Module concept for AE.
# The starting event that turns EngiB into an automated ship has not been implemented.. yet. Events are being worked on today.
# The weapon arrangements on the Rock and Federation Cruisers was changed back to the sMPK ones.
# The weapon alignment on the Kestrel Cruiser was fine-tuned.
# The new enemies that possessed the capability to have 5 Shields were reworked to fit the old 3-8 model. (curiously, the Auto-Assault drone was reduced to 2-9, but nothing else).
# The Rebel Auto-Assault was pushed back so it doesn't appear in Sector 1, thanks to it now having guaranteed Attack Drones and StealthB still existing.
# All earlier modifications to enemy ships are not in place yet, as balances with the new mechanics have not been determined.
# All the earlier shield bubble realignments have been implemented but are untested. SlugB still needs to be fixed.
# All balance changes to the original 18 cruisers have been reimplemented.
# The Combat Drones were retronamed back to Anti-Ship Drones.
# New content changes: The Flak Guns were renamed to Flak Cannons, and the Flak Mark II was nerfed from 7 shots every 21 seconds to 5 shots every 16 seconds (subject to opinions).
# New content changes: The Chain Vulcan was renamed to the Vulcan Gatling Laser, and its fire chance was removed.
# New content changes: The Anti-Ship Beam Drone Mark II now uses the custom graphic I made for the Beam II in CE.

Download the current build from Dropbox.

EDIT: More progress has been made.

# The Vortex had had Auto-Drone Mode re-enabled. Unfortunately, the Crew Glitch has not been fixed in AE.
# Mantis, Zoltan, Rock and Crystal sectors have had some of the new music added to their playlists.
# The Rebel Defector event has been fixed to hide the result.
# The old Unique Ship Destruction messages were reinstated.
# The old rewards setup for defeating enemy crews were reinstated.
# The old rewards/timer setup for defeating automated and forward scouts was reinstated.
# Various other older ship rewards were reinstated.
# The blue option for the ion storm scavenging event was re-fixed.
# The flagship on Easy difficulty with AE activated had its Shields reduced to Lv6 to maintain consistency with Easy difficulty when AE is deactivated.
# The order of the drones deactivating on Phase 2 of the flagship was realtered. The Defense I is the second drone to be deactivated instead of the last.
# A couple of glaring typos in some new events were fixed.
# The rewards for killing the crew of a Lanius ship were altered. The chance of finding a crew member was replaced with the chance of finding a weapon, and the chance to find resources were added to these results.
# The old Names list of 1000+ was reinstated.
# The behaviour of Nebula exits was reinstated to carry a chance of an event.
# The crew ordering on the KestrelB, StealthB and C, MantisA and C, EngiA and FederationA were changed to optimise the crew arrangement on startup.
# The custom Cloaking image for KestrelB was realigned.
# The behaviour of Nebula exits was reinstated to carry a chance of an event.
# The crew ordering on the KestrelB, StealthB and C, MantisA and C, EngiA and FederationA were changed to optimise the crew arrangement on startup.
# The custom Cloaking image for KestrelB was realigned.
# The Rebel Line was altered for extra precise determination of their positioning.
# The tip for the Hull Repair Drone was changed from one for internal drones to a custom one. There are reliability issues with modifying the misc.xml file however.
# The rarities of the vanilla weapons in specific sectors and compatability with the Augmented Weapons Module was reimplemented. Behaviour of blueprints defined within these rarity lists that are AE-exclusive within vanilla FTL is untested.
# The Vulcan Laser's stats were altered again, increasing its maximum fire rate to 1.5 seconds.

At this point, the amount remaining to do to make the core Polish Kit function is, outside of the ship layout aesthetics, almost nothing. When I feel confident, I will announce a Version number for the core mod. From there.. I will wait for reports on game balance and use the time to get some of my modules back online. I'm not going to work on CE compatibility just yet, I'll give Sleeper some time to work on bugfixing, as it appears there is much to rediscover and adapt to.
ImageImage
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 [AE Compatible, AWM Available]

Postby slowriderxcorps » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Alright! After a lot of manly hours, I've managed to adapt this ol' mod into enough of a state of functionality that it may be released to the general public. While absolutely everything within the original Polish Kit is not implemented as of yet, more than enough of it has been adapted to allow it to be published.

The current list of applied changes is as follows:

# All the previous graphical changes to weapons have been reimplemented.
# All the previous weapon modifications (new Burst Laser III, player Hermes, Hull Missile) have been reimplemented.
# Enemies can use the new Burst Laser III.
# All enemy auto-ships and pirate ships have been renamed to include their alleigance.
# The Rebel Auto-Assault enemy can no longer spawn in Sector 1.
# All the previous alterations to crew descriptions have been reimplemented. I would like to request permission to add additional colour palettes from CE.
# All the previous alterations to system descriptions and cost balances have been reimplemented and adapted.
# The flagship Ion weapon now uses the correct hit animation again.
# All the previous alterations to weapon descriptions have been reimplemented. Tooltips for weapons no longer appear to be functional however.
# All weapons that acquired a Stun chance in AE were altered to retain them.
# Hull Beam was stripped of its breach chance.
# All weapons have had their costs altered in accordance with AE's new pricing schematic.
   * Ion Blast II dropped from 80 to 70 scrap.
   * Burst Laser II dropped from 90 to 85 scrap.
   * Burst Laser III dropped from 100 to 90 scrap.
   * Burst Laser IV dropped from 110 to 95 scrap.
   * Hermes Missiles dropped from 50 to 45 scrap.
   * Pegasus Missiles dropped from 80 to 60 scrap.
   * Breach Missiles dropped from 70 to 65 scrap.
   * Hull Missiles dropped from 75 to 60 scrap.
   * Heavy Laser I dropped from 55 to 50 scrap.
   * Heavy Laser II dropped from 75 to 65 scrap.
   * Hull Laser I dropped from 65 to 55 scrap.
   * Hull Laser II dropped from 100 to 80 scrap.
   * Pike Beam dropped from 60 to 55 scrap.
   * Halberd Beam dropped from 70 to 65 scrap.
   * Glaive Beam dropped from 120 to 95 scrap.
   * Fire Beam dropped from 70 to 50 scrap.
   * Hull Beam dropped from 70 to 60 scrap.
   * Small Bomb dropped from 55 to 45 scrap.
   * Fire Bomb dropped from 55 to 50 scrap.
   * Breach Bomb I dropped from 70 to 50 scrap.
   * Ion Bomb increased from 65 to 70 scrap.
   * Crystal Bomb dropped from 60 to 45 scrap.
   * Crystal Burst II dropped from 90 to 70 scrap.
   * Heavy Crystal II dropped from 120 to 90 scrap.
# The Artillery weapons have had their descriptions rewritten.
# The Automated Re-Loader buff was reduced from 15 to 10 percent.
# The Combat Drones were retronamed back to Anti-Ship drones.
# The Anti-Ship II drone was dropped from 100 to 75 scrap.
# The Defense II drone was increased from 70 to 75 scrap, but its nerfed fire rate in AE was corrected back to pre-AE.
# The enemy-exclusive Defense II drone had its power requirement increased from AE's 3 back to vanilla's 4.
# The Hull Repair drone was dropped from 100 to 80 scrap. Its Tip was removed as it is erroneously referred to as an internal drone.
# The Anti-Personnel drone was dropped from 60 to 40 scrap.
# The Boarding drone was dropped from 70 to 50 scrap and had its power requirement for the player reduced to 2 and rarity changed from 5 to 4.
# The ordering of crew on board each player cruiser was changed to place specific species in their most ideal places from the start.
# All previous balance changes to the vanilla 18 ships were reimplemented, including Drone Mode for EngiB.
# New descriptions were written for all playable cruisers.
# The Animated Artillery Beam was reimplemented for all variations of the Federation Cruiser.
# The flagship fight on Easy with AE enabled now has three shields instead of four to maintain new consistency with Easy when AE is disabled.
# All the new augments have had their descriptions rewritten.
# All the new systems have had their descriptions rewritten.
# Hacking is now known as the Hacking Module, and the Backup Battery is now known as Emergency Power.
# The rarity of the Anti-Combat drone was changed from 1 to 3.
# The graphics of the Beam II drone were modified with a custom design.
# Flak Guns were renamed to Flak cannons.
# The Flak II weapon had its cooldown reduced from 21 to 16 but its effective projectile count was reduced from 7 to 5.
# The Chain Vulcan was renamed to the Vulcan Gatling Laser. Its fire chance was removed and its cooldown at full speed was increased from 1.1 to 1.5 seconds.
# Laser Chargers now have Mark numbers.
# The Laser Charger I in both findable and unique form had its cooldown changed to 5 seconds per shot, and its fire chance was increased to 1.
# The Laser Charger II had its cooldown changed to 4.5 seconds per shot.
# Altered the text of an ASB event so that the blue options have wording consistency.
# The chance of finding crew on board a crew-culled Lanius ship was replaced with a chance of finding a weapon. These rewards were also altered to give resources.
# Exit beacons within nebulae retain their chance to have an event inside of them.
# Events that used specific classes of weapons were adapted for compatability with the AWM.
# The fuel donation event was refixed to give the Low scrap reward alongside the Map Data reward.
# The Slug option for Charlie Moon was refixed to give a Charlie.
# The previous expansion and rebalancing of trade offers was reimplemented.
# The previous rebalancing of generic crew-kill rewards was reimplemented.
# The previous rebalancing of the slaver crew-kill rewards was reimplemented.
# The Rebel Defector event was fixed to hide its rewards, preventing the event from being cheesed into knowing when it is safe to accept.
# The expansion of ship destruction messages was reimplemented. As always, ideas for more messages are welcome.
# The Diseased Station event that uses boarding was removed out of the Quests list and back into the Distress list.
# The Rock Mine event rework was reimplemented. Currently the use of Damaging weapons in certain events has not been implemented.
# The reward for the quest that sends you to save a merchant from a pirate was refixed into giving you a double reward.
# The storm event in Zoltan sectors for capturing a cache of fuel/ammo was refixed into giving more reasonable rewards.
# The rewards for many Auto-Scout ships including sensor stations and fleeing to warn the fleet were refixed to giving more reasonable rewards.
# The timer for forward scouts was increased from 40 to 50 seconds.
# The timer for fleeing auto-ships was increased from 40 to 55 seconds.
# The Door Hack event in Slug sectors was modified to allow the event to be detected as a ship by Long-Ranged Scanners.
# The Zoltan Madman event was refixed to allowing the option to fight a Crystalline ship.
# Mantis, Rock, Zoltan and Crystal sectors have had new music from AE added to their playlists.
# The Tooltips were altered to fit the new systems.
# The Shield alignment on several player cruisers was refixed.
# The weapon arrangement on the Federation and Rock cruisers was refixed.
# The old Names list of +1000 was reimplemented.
# The weapon alignment on all variants of the Kestrel and Mantis Cruisers was fixed.
# The custom Cloaking image for the KestrelB was reimplemented, and the alignment of the Floor graphic was fixed.

NOTE: It is seemingly impossible to make any modification to the misc.xml file without breaking the appearance of multiple text elements within the game while using the custom font.

The Augmented Weapons Module is back and updated for the new weapons, to boot. Currently the only critical thing the Kit is missing is compatibility with Captains Edition.. that's kind of a big deal. For now though, I will allow Sleeper plenty of time to adapt CE to the new mechanics and nuances that AE introduced, and when the mod is reasonably stable, I will get to work with adding the necessary patches.

Half-inch the new sMPK from my Dropbox!
ImageImage
Mr. Mister

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 [AE Compatible, AWM Available]

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 pm

You could release a partial CE patch that only changes the weapons' stats and names to those of sMPK-CE though.
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 for AE (ft. CE 1.201 Patch + Modul

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:You could release a partial CE patch that only changes the weapons' stats and names to those of sMPK-CE though.

You know, that's not a bad idea. At the moment though, I am attempting to bring back the old floor graphics style to the new layouts. Once I've gotten that in position, I will work on something like that.

EDIT: So much for the break. Rudimentary functionality has been brought to CE compatibility with a simple patch. Only weapon and drone statistics have been altered so far: nothing relating to enemies has been touched yet. Meanwhile, a general changelog.

# The rebalanced Flak Cannon Mark II has had its radius of effect decreased by about 10%.
# The old floor layout graphics style has been implemented for all old and new ships.
   * It is currently untested on LaniusB and Mantis/Engi/Zoltan/SlugC, and previous aesthetic nuances with RockA, the Kestrel Cruiser and Stealth Cruiser have not been re-resolved yet.
# The thinning of the Rebel line was redone: the game now uses the graphic from the iPad folder for some reason.

CE Patch Progress
# Primary focus is on the readapting of equipment to the new specifications.
# All previous balance changes to pre-1.2 weaponry has been implemented.
# Pricing of all equipment was altered to match the new AE specifications.
# Stun mechanics for all the new weaponry has been significantly changed as well as reimplemented for existing weaponry.
# Anti-Bio weapons have their new orange colour.

EDIT, um again: Another update to fix broken floor alignment on SlugB, as well as successfully sorting out alignments with various cruisers. There is also an experimental change with the way Stun works on heavy lasers and missiles. Feedback on the new behavior is most appreciated.

AND AGAIN: What has been done with the CE patch has been updated for 1.203. Through the witchcraft of SMM tags, a renaming of all the ships has been implemented, hopefully properly. No ship statistics have been altered yet.

AND ONCE MORE FOR THE SAKE OF IT: Thanks to the presence of the new and dandy Drone Targetable tag applicable for Weapons, it is now possible to create missile weapons that are ignored by Defense I without having to make them disguised lasers, as well as lasers that Defense Is will freak out over if you so desire. The awesome thing about this is that it fixes a massive nuance with CE enemies where they would often spawn with only missile weapons because it thought the Swarm/Stealth launchers were lasers! This change has now been applied to the CE patch.

Not only that, but a case of 'why didn't I think of this before' happened, and I used the new Flavor tag to add new types for every weapon within the base 'kit and the AWM, to the extent of being able to label AWM weapons with their elements. And thanks to the drone tag, a new element was created for the missile weapons known as Stealth!

I'd better stop before I get burned out.. x.x
ImageImage
captaincannibal

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 for AE (ft. CE 1.203 Patch + Modul

Postby captaincannibal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:47 pm

In a rush to leave the house at the moment so I may have missed something where you said "this is supposed to happen" or "do not use this module right now", but I got the following error when applying The sMPK for CE 1.203.

Patching failed: org.jdom2.JDOMException: While processing "Patch - The sMPK for CE 1.203.ftl:data/autoBlueprints.xml.append (wrapped)", strict parsing failed, then sloppy parsing failed: Error on line 569: At line 569, column 1: Unexpected characters.
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 for AE (ft. CE 1.203 Patch + Modul

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you for pointing this out. I was ALMOST able to get the renaming thing for the CE ships right the first time! That should now be fixed. Right now, trying to write up a more accurate readme for the main archive.

EDIT: A rudimentary patch for CE Infinite has been constructed. Also, the list of weapons that are allowed to appear in Crystalline sectors in these patches was refixed to only allow Crystalline weapons.
ImageImage
slowriderxcorps

Re: The sM Polish Kit 1.1 for AE [CEi 1.203 Patches + Module

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 pm

A fix was put in place for the graphics for the AWM Vulcan after discovering the source graphics were corrected in the new FTL update after being found to be glitched. Also, a nudge in the right direction allowed me to alter the alignment of the Crystal Cruiser so that the nose of the ship doesn't overhang the difficulty selector in the hangar screen.
ImageImage
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 pm

So, I'm gonna try and have my first AE playthrough right now, if my broken hand allow me, and since I'll be using standalone sMPK with it (because I know you and me like similar balancing and I'm confident in your work, and I wanna taste it a bit before Captain's Advance), I thought it'd be nice to let you know.

BTW, something neither I nor anyone else seemed to bother mentioning: Did you know that, a ship's default name (defined in the XML) can exceed the character limit? Some of the vanilla names in fact get over the limit with the (CEPS) you add in that addon, which is quite funny, as you need to erase a few characters before typing others anew.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:BTW, something neither I nor anyone else seemed to bother mentioning: Did you know that, a ship's default name (defined in the XML) can exceed the character limit? Some of the vanilla names in fact get over the limit with the (CEPS) you add in that addon, which is quite funny, as you need to erase a few characters before typing others anew.

It's a strange nuance, but one that I've definitely noticed. That's nothing compared to the way AE handles and displays enemy names now. With the smaller font online, they can be ridiculously long without any issue at all.

EDIT: A fix was put in place after the discovery that the Crystalline weapons actually have unique explosion graphics and sounds in AE. These were put in place for all Crystalline weaponry within the base 'kit, CE patch and the AWM. Also, the placement of the fire point on the Flak I was realigned with the center of its barrel.
ImageImage