[MOD]Star Wars V1.3.1.02

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
LordAshram

Re: Star Wars

Postby LordAshram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Is this perchance compatible with Infinite Space?

Also... if I could recommend... I don't think the X-Wing should be in the game. You seem to be using TIE fighters and the like (the fighters) in the place of drones, which I think is a great idea... I think you should stick with the capital ships, and leave the smaller ships (x/a/y/b wings, TIEs) as drones.
The Swarm Lord

Postby The Swarm Lord » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 pm

LordAshram wrote:Is this perchance compatible with Infinite Space?

Also... if I could recommend... I don't think the X-Wing should be in the game. You seem to be using TIE fighters and the like (the fighters) in the place of drones, which I think is a great idea... I think you should stick with the capital ships, and leave the smaller ships (x/a/y/b wings, TIEs) as drones.

Yes it is compatible. And regarding removing the X-wing, I'm still not sure what to replace it with...
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Excellent!

Well, if I may... as an old school Star Wars wargame fellow (I actually made a FTL Star Wars game equivalent in college as a tabletop game, and play a bit of the current X-Wing game as well, and obviously played all the video games) I might say I think you should solely focus on capital ships as the player ship. After all, the fighters (A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, X-Wing, TIE Advanced/Interceptor/Defender/Bomber) are generally single (or, for the Y-Wing, two) pilot ships and are very small in scale. I really think you hit on an AWESOME idea using the drone slots as the "fighter control" slots. You know... imagine running a Star Destroyer and having, say, four drone slots. Make the regular TIE Fighters your "Ship Defense 1" types, the Advanced maybe as the "Ship Defense 2" types, the Interceptors as "Ship Attack 1" and the TIE Bombers maybe the "Ion attack" drones. Then, as the captain of the ship, you decide what ships you need to launch. Maybe against something like a Mon Cal you would do a storm of TIEs to defend yourself, but against a less-offensive Nebulon B (which I would imagine has GREAT first aid systems!) you'd send a swarm of bombers and interceptors to chew it up.

I just think that you should maybe stick with the big, multi-crew ships as the "player" ships and use the fighters to replace drones. It seems such a wonderfully natural idea.

Overall though I REALLY have enjoyed the star wars theme. Great job:) The lasers are a bit big, but still, great job:)

Man, if only you could do crew graphics. Replace the repair droid with an R2, replace Mantis maybe with Storm Troopers, Rockmen with Wookies, Slugs with Jedi... if only, right?:D
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:24 am

X-Wing replacement candidates:
dreadnaught
lancer frigate
strike cruiser
bulwark
liberator
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey Swarm!

Okay, good stuff, totally works, and I unlocked all ships using the editor, so played around a bit with a star destroyer:) Good times!:D That said, holy cow the big ships are massively overpowered:) Maybe you would want to lower their power a bit, and make the player build them up a little? Otherwise when you get a star destroyer there is almost no game to play, because you just slaughter everything:)

If you can point me towards a guide on modding graphics for drones I'd be happy to look into making some drone graphics for you. Not sure what programs it requires so it might be out of my range/ability, but I'd be happy to look!:)

And if I may suggest... I think you have some good natural drones in the canon. I am not sure how you could handle defensive drones vs offensive drones... but what about doing this... for offensive drones, I think I would suggest...

A-Wing - lvl 1 anti ship drone
X-Wing - lvl 2 anti ship drone
Y-Wing - lvl 1 ion or missile drone (up to you, although I would go with missile)
B-Wing - lvl 2 ion or missile drone

TIE - lvl 1 anti ship drone
TIE Interceptor - lvl 2 anti ship drone
TIE Advanced - lvl 1 ion or missile drone (up to you, although I would go with missile)
TIE Bomber - lvl 2 ion or missile drone

You could always work in the Z95 for an offensive drone somewhere, or even use a Lamba Shuttle for the Boarding Drone delivery system picture (if you can).

I think that would basically cover the offensive drones, although you could even specialize some of them... for example, a TIE Bomber (Ion) and TIE Bomber (Missile) for a few of them, to give the player a bit more choice (and force them into more decision making). Maybe make the Bomber and the B-Wing (the dedicated anti-big ship fighters) the variable ones.

Then, with defensive drones, replace the texture for the drone with a full transparency so there IS no graphic, and then call the drones something like "Defensive Battery" and "Heavy Defensive Battery" and make the drawing on the info panel a turbolaser battery. So rather than having visible drones you use that to represent the defenses you simply get rid of the drone artwork to make it more representational.

I think that would be a good way to take care of drones and still keep them in the Star Wars universe.
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey Swarm,

Okay, starting poking around the graphics files. You mind if I futz a bit and make a few? Whatever I make I can send your way...
The Swarm Lord

Postby The Swarm Lord » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:39 pm

LordAshram wrote:Hey Swarm,

Okay, starting poking around the graphics files. You mind if I futz a bit and make a few? Whatever I make I can send your way...

Sure, I wouldn't mind.
The Swarm Lord

Postby The Swarm Lord » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:48 pm

LordAshram wrote:Hey Swarm!

Okay, good stuff, totally works, and I unlocked all ships using the editor, so played around a bit with a star destroyer:) Good times!:D That said, holy cow the big ships are massively overpowered:) Maybe you would want to lower their power a bit, and make the player build them up a little? Otherwise when you get a star destroyer there is almost no game to play, because you just slaughter everything:)

If you can point me towards a guide on modding graphics for drones I'd be happy to look into making some drone graphics for you. Not sure what programs it requires so it might be out of my range/ability, but I'd be happy to look!:)

And if I may suggest... I think you have some good natural drones in the canon. I am not sure how you could handle defensive drones vs offensive drones... but what about doing this... for offensive drones, I think I would suggest...

A-Wing - lvl 1 anti ship drone
X-Wing - lvl 2 anti ship drone
Y-Wing - lvl 1 ion or missile drone (up to you, although I would go with missile)
B-Wing - lvl 2 ion or missile drone

TIE - lvl 1 anti ship drone
TIE Interceptor - lvl 2 anti ship drone
TIE Advanced - lvl 1 ion or missile drone (up to you, although I would go with missile)
TIE Bomber - lvl 2 ion or missile drone

You could always work in the Z95 for an offensive drone somewhere, or even use a Lamba Shuttle for the Boarding Drone delivery system picture (if you can).

I think that would basically cover the offensive drones, although you could even specialize some of them... for example, a TIE Bomber (Ion) and TIE Bomber (Missile) for a few of them, to give the player a bit more choice (and force them into more decision making). Maybe make the Bomber and the B-Wing (the dedicated anti-big ship fighters) the variable ones.

Then, with defensive drones, replace the texture for the drone with a full transparency so there IS no graphic, and then call the drones something like "Defensive Battery" and "Heavy Defensive Battery" and make the drawing on the info panel a turbolaser battery. So rather than having visible drones you use that to represent the defenses you simply get rid of the drone artwork to make it more representational.

I think that would be a good way to take care of drones and still keep them in the Star Wars universe.

I actually plan on adding several custom ships to the mod to help balance out several of the stronger ships. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with adding the ships. Whenever I add them, it ends in crash. Any help would be appreciated though. As for the drone ideas, they seem really cool. I can get to work on them soon.
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Cool!

I put these TIE fighters together... workable? I tried to follow the style of FTL...

UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Those look sexeh. Nice! :)

TIE F may be slightly too long.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.