FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.09d

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Taken from reddit, so I don't know the event text (I haven't gotten iot myself yet), but are you sure those engies are supposed to be there, with only one hologram?Image

Yeah I saw that thread. This is caused by forced crew proportions in the engi ship events... faction AI ships will have to get their own unique event to avoid this.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 pm

It's actually really comforting that so much stuff IS modable in this game. :) I'm looking forward to the Advanced Edition. It might not make the game files more modable, but hopefully the few things they add will give us more options.

EDIT: Just thought about this... Would it be possible to make a defense drone that used a beam? Because they would never miss. Or would it not work because objects don't collide with beams.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:02 am

What is the special blue event when talking to zoltan crew member good for?

I got good events from all other species already multiple times already (stuff, quests, repair, new crewmembers, gambling - awesome!) but the zoltan is always sermonizing about the good. :(

The auto-scout drone carriers in sector 1 are sometimes ridiculously overpowered. 2 Ion Drones and one Focus Beam Drone? Melted my full hull away in less then one minute.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 am

Kartoffelr wrote:The auto-scout drone carriers in sector 1 are sometimes ridiculously overpowered. 2 Ion Drones and one Focus Beam Drone? Melted my full hull away in less then one minute.

Better be careful saying things like that. When I said that I got ambushed by a whole bunch of hardcore people yelling "BLASPHEMER", "HERETIC!!!" :oops:
But yes... They are "ridiculously" overpowered. Especially for sector 1.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 am

Holy crap, I cannot believe I won with this ship! Slimeball VI, a Slug A, was not very well armed, finishing with a Dual Shot Laser Mk II, Heavy Scatter Laser Mk II, Hull Smasher Laser Mk I, and (Oni Missile/Auto Laser Mk II). Drones were Antiship Missile Mk I & Defense Mk I. Augs were Targeting Jammer and Slug Repair Gel.

Ship stats: Power L22, Shields L6, Engines L5, Weapons L7, Drone Ctrl L3, Cloak L2, Teleporter L2 - actually everything else L2. I had a full crew to start the final battle: Engi x2, Slug x3, Human x1, Rock x1, Mantis x1.

I had a Cockatrice Missile in the mid-game, but sold it for the Oni, not having a lot of missiles and thinking the 2-damage cloaked ones would be better than three 1-dmg ones. I was not thrilled to get the Auto Laser Mk II, as it needs 3 power, and I really needed more shots. But I kept it, as I wasn't having much luck in stores. Thought about passing up the missile drone, but man, did I really need it - there were times when it was the only thing doing damage!

I had to run from a lot of battles (only defeated 26 ships), as my puny missiles might not always take down enough shields - also couldn't always afford the ammo. I didn't board till late in the game, making early use of (mostly) one of the beginning Light Lasers Mk I. Then I was boarding with squishy humans. New crew was either Human or Engi. I was in a quarantine sector and answered a lot of distress calls. I lost one of my slugs, but it was just security/damage control. I did lose a 1* shields officer, but gained a Rock Dr. Jones. Got the Mantis in sector 7.

Being low on missiles, I hit two repair stations in sector 8. Having used some in a fight, I'm not even sure I had ten when I got to the boss. I only used one boarding team, Mantis & Rock. I suppose I could have used the Human who was the B team and taken a Slug off weapons, but I didn't - I think I was busy repairing artillery damage. I wasn't sure if I was going to board the Burst Ion and Beam, but it was such slow going inflicting damage, that I did.

Round 2 was such a long battle, I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it. I could board the weapons rooms, but not the main body, as most of the boss' crew was still there. I had to use my few missiles on the shields, so my other weapons might have the slightest chance of doing damage - I only had four shots, and every one needed to count. I had my missile drone going, only to realize that the boss' defense drone was shooting its missiles down. Shit! I'm fucked! But I realized it was a Defense Mk II (or something like it), as it was also shooting my laser shots. So I'd wait till the sloooowwwww drone was about to shoot, and launch a volley of laser shots, hoping to distract the drone - and it worked, some of the time! Meanwhile I was juggling missile and defense drone, which shot down a few boarding drones, but let three through. I fought those off, but the drones were whittling my hull away. In desperation I decided to board anyway, to see what damage I could do - while keeping the missile drone active. The A team went into sensors, then the B team into drone control, followed by the A team. I had run out of missiles for my Oni, so my missile drone was my only hope. I think my boarders got hit a couple times. The second time, a fire started in the drone control room. Well, I finally pulled them back. I had pretty good timing using my cloak, but my hull still got taken down to the red. When I finally finished off the 2nd stage, I had 2 HP left! :shock: Unfortunately, my Mantis didn't make it back, having died in the fire/melee. :( So the Human was back on the A team.

That round had taken place at a repair station, so I waited instead of jumping, and got repaired. Phew! But they had no more missiles to give out. I must have gotten one for winning the round. But that's not enough, so out with the Oni Missile, in with the Auto Laser, 3 power and all. Having waited, I now had to catch up with the boss. I thought because the boss went through a beacon, I wouldn't have an encounter, but I did! I jumped as soon as I could, even using my cloak to dodge, figuring it would be back in time for the first power surge.

The fight took place one jump away from the last Federation base. Crap, the boss disabled my cloak, so I'd have to tank the surges. I got the defense drone out, and it shot one or two of the missiles. Then the surge alarm came. Oh, shit! Wait! I can cloak?! So what got disabled? Oh, my teleporter, right next to the cloak on the UI. I fought off the remaining boss crew which boarded me, shot down the Zoltan Shield, repaired sensors - no boss crew left in the main body! But I couldn't get through the shields with my weapons; only the sloooooowwwwww missile drone. So I decided to jump and see if that would get my teleporter working again.

Now we were right at the base, do or die time. My teleporter was working, but drone control was out. I got the Zoltan Shield down and took out the burst missile. Retrieved them and went back to shields. Not the walk in the park it used to be, with the O2 running out. Fortunately, L2 teleporter. Still, non-Mantises take a while to damage systems. I had to retrieve and jump back a few times. The first time the Zoltan Shield regenerated, my boarders were on my ship. The second time, they were in the boss' shield room, so after taking it all the way out, they perished. But once I took down the Zoltan Shield, that was all she wrote. I finished with 13 HP, and most crew hired at 19 (!). Only 3967 pts, but with the sweet taste of victory.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 am

ikeelyou300 wrote:It's actually really comforting that so much stuff IS modable in this game. :) I'm looking forward to the Advanced Edition. It might not make the game files more modable, but hopefully the few things they add will give us more options.

EDIT: Just thought about this... Would it be possible to make a defense drone that used a beam? Because they would never miss. Or would it not work because objects don't collide with beams.

Beams and bombs can't do defense, what you can do is a really fast moving projectile and slightly big. Those increase the chances greatly.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.09c

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Some unique music for the new sector types would be great, but it's pretty much impossible to find free music of quality that matches FTLs style. Id also would want it to have a separate explore and battle track, so it's really unlikely that I find some custom tracks for CE.

Some time ago a friend of mine mentioned jamendo -- it's a platform for free music. I haven't used it extensively, and it is indeed difficult to find music matching FTL's style, but perhaps something interesting can be found there...
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Background: Though I wouldn't by any means call myself one of the best, I can comfortably claim to be a strong FTL player. I've played ~160 games of vanilla FTL, including getting all achievements, winning with all ships, beating several self-imposed challenges (winning with no shields, winning with no O2, winning with no medbay, etc.), and publishing several instructional / funny videos on YouTube. Throughout these ~160 games, my W/L ratio stands at 1/3. (So, "strong" but not a top player.) I've played ~30 games of CE, ranging from v1.72 - v1.87. I give this info to help callibrate my input; when I say something is too hard, I believe it is too hard / broken for the vast majority of the FTL audience, which has already self-selected to be gluttons for punishment.

IMO, the Red-Tail CEPS is broken and needs to be rebalanced to be easier somehow. I've played ~15 games with it, and have yet to win a single one.

Common outcome: I am unable to gather enough resources to both achieve a reasonable level of safety and increase weapons by sector 3, when 2-shield bubble ships start becoming common, and even some 3-shield bubble ships appear. Neither bursting nor staggering weapons fire against the vast majority of 2-shield-bubble ships is effective, as a single dodge or cloak will ruin any progress towards beating down their shields. Even against enemies with no bridge/engines and no cloak usually devastate me before I get a single point of damage against their shield system, which is often insufficient to gain a foothold because the stations often resist damage or have L5 shield systems or both. Rationally, I should flee these battles, but if I fled every battle that was likely to be a net loss for me, I'd basically have lost the game by sector 3, as the scrap wouldn't be coming in fast enough to keep my growth on pace.

Note also that weapons, esp. good weapons, are far more rare in CE than in vanilla. Shops have so many possible things to sell, and drops have so many possible random drops, that you are much less likely to find a weapon you can both use and afford. Even selling your original weapons, to avoid the cost of having to upgrade to L5 weapons power in an early sector, sacrificing your defensive growth, doesn't seem to help. I have no played all CEPS ships yet, but Red-Tail CEPS is by far the ship out of all vanilla ships + Kestral CEPS + Red-Tail CEPS that is the most dependent upon luck. And while many people believe FTL is just a game of luck, it is most certainly not, and that is its strength. Vanilla FTL is balanced very, very well to allow folks the opportunity to win virtually every game, if they play strongly enough. I do not believe that is the case with Red-Tail CEPS.

Another somewhat common example (~5 encounters so far): a somewhat common rebel AI ship has weapons hacking tools. These ships can appear even in sector 1, and even if they have just 1 shield bubble, you're basically stuck. Again, I could try to use a single auto burst laser to beat down a single shield bubble eventually, but a single dodge or cloak resets me back to zero, while I'm taking damage. I have never yet determined if this was even possible, as I died or was forced to flee every time this comes up. So, the player is almost forced to get L5 weapons power or swap out weapons extremely early, even in sector 1, if they want to avoid having to flee otherwise winnable battles.

Yet another example. I got a lot of early luck and stayed ahead of the growth curve and made it to the final battle. My ship was better than the average ship I usually win with, and I was beginning to spend money on luxuries like extra drone control power just in case I wanted to run both drones simultaneously and the system took damage. Phase 1 of the revised flagship wiped me out. I wasn't prepared for the changes, obviously, but between faster firing rates + asteroids + artillery support, I failed to convert the only time I've reached the Last Stand with the Red-Tail CEPS into a victory.

But the single most important example is my most recent game, where I encountered a normal (?) rebel AI ship at my first jump. There was nothing unusual about this ship or conflict, at least not that I can tell (I couldn't see his engine level, for example). I chose to fire in bursts rather than staggered shots against this weak-ish ship with 1 shield bubble. He had a slow charging scatter missile and one other weapon. I fired about 10 volleys before I took any system damage -- and I dealt zero damage to his ship due to missing with 1 of my 2 shots in every volley. He then damaged my shield system, and his other weapon started tearing me apart while I fixed the shields. I did not flee. I repaired my shields, getting back to relative safety, and continued the assault. I again missed several more shots, before his missiles struck my weapons system, making beating down his shields virtually impossible. I again did not flee, repaired, and kept up the assualt. I was finally able to beat this pathetic ship -- after taking 17 HULL DAMAGE. This, to me, is clear evidence of a broken balance. If I'm forced to flee several ships in sector 1, the CEPS is not balanced correctly. (Were rebel AI ships enhanced with greater engine power, or was I just profoundly lucky? Either way, I believe it is imbalanced.)

So, short version, something needs to be done to rebalance the Red-Tail CEPS. Possibilities: reduce weapon charge time to 3.5 or even 3 seconds. This would at least make the staggered beat down shields strategy more possible. Swap out auto-lasers with 4 tiny weapons like before, perhaps weapons that can't do system damage or have some other unique limitation. Give the CEPS another augment, even a weak one; at least having the option to sell something for a little money might help rebalance it a bit.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Rhaining, are you using sMPK? I'm asking because I don't think the vanilla CE alternate starting loadout add-on changes the default names to CEPS, and I'm very confused as to why you would consider sMPK's auto lasers so lowly, when I find them really great (MkI has cooldown of 4s in contrast to CE's 6, and MkII 3s instead of 4s).

Sector 1's AI ships can be bitches though. Sounds to me like you simply were really, REALLY unlucky with the RNG when it came to the Titanium System Casing roll for the droneship.
sign1000

Postby sign1000 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Can you send me a dropbox download link? :D For some reason, the links you provided aren't working for me. :shock: